★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

ARC Squadron - (by Psyonix) 4.99 --> 0.99 INTRO SALE

10-31-2012, 09:30 PM
ARC Squadron - (by Psyonix) 4.99 --> 0.99 INTRO SALE

0.99 for the first 24 hours.

YouTube: video

YouTube: video

iPhone Screenshots

An evil race known as the Guardians is taking over the universe, ravaging planets, and killing all peaceful life forms. You are the galaxy's only hope for salvation. As an elite pilot serving in the ARC Squadron, you are tasked to take on the Guardians in head-to-head combat and bring down their empire.

With simple one-touch controls, you can shoot, blast, and annihilate enemy forces to hunt down each of the nine Guardian lords and destroy them once and for all. The ultimate battle for the galaxy is nigh. Are you on board?

* Stunning graphics, optimized for Retina display
* Massive sixty-four level campaign
* More than twenty unique environments
* Fifteen challenge levels
* Nine boss battles
* Six upgradeable ships, with unlockable ship skins
* Ten upgradeable weapons
* Gamecenter friend challenges, leaderboards and achievements

Lite Version: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/arc-squadron-lite/id564247225

11-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Main thread with some impressions:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=163717

Recommended!

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

11-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Awesome game with fun varied levels and fun boss fights. Definitely recommended.

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?
11-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Screw intro sales. Sure, they reward early adopters, but they also bait people into buying ****. And, from a marketing perspective, it isn't wise to raise a price after release. People won't remember it was an intro price, they'll just assume it was a sale and wait for the price to drop back down.

Plus, I've bought numerous games at the intro price which ended up turning into freemium panty stains.

99 cents was a steal for Dead Trigger, right?

3rd post of the morning. 3rd grumpy post of the day. I think I'll play with my doggie. My Muffin hates iOS anyways, since I tend to ignore her while playing.

My doggie is a good doggie.
11-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Screw intro sales. Sure, they reward early adopters, but they also bait people into buying ****. And, from a marketing perspective, it isn't wise to raise a price after release. People won't remember it was an intro price, they'll just assume it was a sale and wait for the price to drop back down.

Plus, I've bought numerous games at the intro price which ended up turning into freemium panty stains.

99 cents was a steal for Dead Trigger, right?

3rd post of the morning. 3rd grumpy post of the day. I think I'll play with my doggie. My Muffin hates iOS anyways, since I tend to ignore her while playing.

My doggie is a good doggie.
I haven't looked in the actual thread but it seems like I've missed something substantial here. Are you saying that this game leads towards IAP after the beginning of the game? I thought this game was unbelievably good so far.
11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusothil View Post
I haven't looked in the actual thread but it seems like I've missed something substantial here. Are you saying that this game leads towards IAP after the beginning of the game? I thought this game was unbelievably good so far.
No it doesnt. IAP is purely optional, that grinding isnt even necessary. I just attempted to 3-star (where 4-stars is the perfect run) most of the first 4 missions, and i was able to max out my first ship, the first weapon, and have enough to buy the next ship.

As long as you move forward in the missions, the rewards gained (even for 1 or 2-star runs) are increased by a significant amount, where attempting (1 or 2 re-runs) to get better scores will give you enough to upgrade things without it feeling grindy.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
I read the thread for you and here is the essential posting by Gabrien:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=198

Quote:
A game either contains consumable IAP or it does not. Any discussion of inherent "balance" when the consumable IAP route is present is as inane as it is irrelevant. If you don't understand why, try asking yourself why the ref isn't allowed to bet on the game. No matter how swell a guy he might be.

In any case, as far as this game goes, it's simply too much fun to replay levels for it to be considered "grinding" in any negative sense. At least, a half hour or so in that I've played so far, and I had gotten my 99c worth of fun after about 5 minutes.
metalcasket:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=219

Quote:
I don't think anyone picked up on the fact that Gabrien's posted in this thread, commenting on the IAP and then said the game is "fun" and that he got his money's worth. Ladies and gentlemen, when Gabrien and I (yes, me) don't bitch about the IAP in a game, you best believe it doesn't matter.

And maybe this (Gabrien):

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=223

Quote:
I never said the IAP doesn't matter. If anything I said the opposite. It always matters, to the point that discussing game balance with it present is laughable. That, and also this happens to be a very fun game. Two unrelated things. And I have full respect for the folks "bitching" about consumable IAP in this thread. We'd all be better off without it. This game would only be better too.
Dev of ARC Squadron:

Quote:
We really designed the game to be IAP optional. I turned down all offers to put banners, ads, and popups telling you to buy stuff regardless of how much money we might have made on it. There is IAP available if you want to get through the game much faster but you don’t need it at all and that’s just the way we like it.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=192

Quote:
Here is what I'll say about IAP...

Our Quality Assurance team as well as outside focus testers have been playtesting this game for months; playing through from start to finish. We have loads of data showing how often people died on each level, how much money they have at the end of matches, what ship they had, and what weapons they used. We have a very detailed test plan and solid system for making players have the most fun with the least amount of frustration. All of the games balancing numbers have been carefully tweaked for this experience. We can't get it just right for everyone, but we can try to get it right for the most people. But the one thing you will not find in that test plan is IAP. The only IAP testing was done to make sure it actually functioned. All game balancing was done as if it doesn't even exist.

The fact is there are a lot of players out there who don't want to play a balanced game and more casual players who don't want to ever die in a level at all. One guy we focus tested on swore he would immediately buy all the max IAP just so he could play with an overpowered ship with the solid gold skin from level 1. So we balanced the game without IAP, but kept it in for people who want it. Our testers never used it. Buy it if you think it will add fun for you otherwise forget about it!
HTH

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
11-01-2012, 11:04 AM
^great post habakuk... But we all know what Gabrien always says.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
No. Just that "intro sales" are often used to intice people into buying crappy games before the negative reviews roll in. Often times these games are paidmium, or are updated later to become so.

From everything I've heard, that's not the case with this game. I just don't like intro sales due the reason stated above, and the difficulty it puts on other developers to sell games released on the same day. Also, intro sales have the perverse effect of causing a lot of people who are interested in the game but either don't have the funds in their account, spend it on other apps, or just happen to miss the sale to sit on their hands, waiting for the price to drop.

Sue, people wait for price drops on other games as well, but I've seen a number of games never recover from having their priced raised after a day or few. It can kill off any momentum the game was building in its tracks.

Last edited by Greyskull; 11-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.
11-01-2012, 11:40 AM
I think I've been more critical of IAP than anyone else here. And even I'll concede that here, it is as unobtrusive as IAP gets.

1) I had to look for the button to buy it. It's not like it was conspicuously flashing and twirling a baton. But if you attempt to excede your funds, it will make the offer so it's not entirely masked either.

2) It really is useless. I don't know why they bothered to implement it, other than monkey-see-monkey-do which is a real shame. But it has no affect on gameplay. You can buy some make believe money and circumvent the upgrade system, but you would just be wasting money because it's so easy to gain without.

So I'm not going to try to justify it, because it is pointless and IAP is the cancer of video games. But if you avoid buying this game over IAP then you are missing out. It would be like passing up an awesome cheeseburger because you don't like the garnish on the side of the plate.

PS Is it just me or is Greyskull actually _complaining_ that the developers are offering to let you buy it really cheap? If _any_ game on iOS were worth $5, this is it. The fact they're letting us in on a great deal to check it out is brilliant, not contemptible.