★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The 3.0 Guide

06-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
The 3.0 Guide

Intro:
Welcome to the 3.0 Guide, a complete guide to knowing and installing the brand new 3.0 software update. Alright, so I just updated my iPod touch to the new 3.0 software and it runs much faster compared to 2.2.1. Now I know some people have some problems with their update so I decided to make a thread on what to do. My update went flawlessly, did it once and was done with it.

NOTE: This was done on an iPod touch 2G running on 2.2.1 (On a Windows) and am not sure about the 1G iPod touches or iPods running on software lower than 2.2.1

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you happen to screw up your iPod as I just wrote the steps of what I did with my iPod and just wanted to share.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Features:

1.Stereo Bluetooth
Enjoy music and other audio wirelessly. Pair your iPod touch with compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones. (Only on 2G iPod touch)

2.Peer to Peer Gaming
The newest games will make it easy to play head-to-head with a friend — whether your friend is sitting next to you or across the country.

3. Landscape Keyboard
Want more room to type? Rotate iPod touch to landscape to use a larger keyboard in Mail, Notes, and Safari.

4.Spotlight Search
Find what you’re looking for across your iPod touch, all from one place. Spotlight searches all your contacts, email, calendars, and notes, as well as all your music and video. (Spotlight allows you to have as many apps as your iPod can hold as it can search for apps beyond the page limit)

5.Cut, Copy & Paste
Quickly and easily cut, copy, and paste text from application to application. Select blocks of web text with a tap. Copy and paste images from the web, too.

6.Parental Controls
Decide what music, videos, and apps your kids can access on iPod touch.

7.Automatic Wi-Fi Login
Log in to a Wi-Fi hotspot and iPod touch remembers your user name and password the next time you connect.

8.New Languages
Enjoy support for up to 34 languages and more than 40 keyboard layouts

9.Push Notifications
Apps receive information — and let you know it’s there — even when they’re not running

10.Third-party Game Accessories
Connect fun new game accessories via the iPod touch 30-pin connector and Bluetooth

11.Safari Improvements
Enjoy faster performance, autofill user names and passwords, and more.

12.Sync Notes
Never leave a note behind. Now you can sync all the notes you write on your iPod touch back to your Mac or PC.

13.Shake to Shuffle
Just give your iPod touch a shake and it shuffles to a different song in your music library. You’ll always be surprised by what you’ll hear.

These features were taken from here

Installing:
These were my steps to a flawless update. I had no problems whatsoever and was done in less than 30 minutes. Just to be sure, pray before you do this. Please read the steps before attempting it.

1. Plug in your iPod touch (I would recommend rebooting your iPod before plugging it in)

2. Back up your iPod touch by right clicking the picture of your iPod in the left collumn and select 'Back Up'

3. Go to the itunes store and click on the 3.0 update or click on this link.

4. Agree to the License thing and continue (Sorry, forgot what it's called)

5. Wait for it to download (Was pretty fast for me, in 2 minutes, I was done)

6. Before installing the update, pray that bugs do not occur, such as apps with the wrong icon (Luckily, I didn't have it)

7. Once finished, click on update and wait for it. (This part will take some time, so just be patient. Your iPod will reboot and go into recovery mode. After that it extracts the software and prepares your iPod for the update. Followed by the update itself. There should be a bar on your iPod, that's the part where it updates)

8. Fire up your iPod and enjoy the new update! (Note that I did not require a restore from back up as all my data was already on my iPod)

The whole process was quick and easy, finished it less than 30 minutes. I noticed that when you re sync your iPod to put games like SD or FF that require 3.0, the back up was pretty slow.

NOTE: This was done on an iPod touch 2G running on 2.2.1 (On a Windows) and am not sure about the 1G iPod touches or iPods running on software lower than 2.2.1

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you happen to screw up your iPod as I just wrote the steps of what I did with my iPod and just wanted to share.

Q&A:

Q: I (screwed up my iPod/do not like 3.0) and would like to go back to 2.2.1, where can I find it?
A: You can find 2.2.1 here.

Q: With Spotlight, can I have as many apps as my iPod can hold?
A: Yes, with Spotlight, you can search for apps even though they have gone pass the page limit.

Links:

1. iPod touch features: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html

2. 3.0 update link on iTunes: https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObje...uchLandingPage

3. 2.2.1 software download: http://www.livecrunch.com/2009/01/27...ownload-links/

If you have any more questions or would require help, please contact Apple Support.

Thanks for reading the Guide and I hope it was useful. Remember, these were the steps I did to update my iPod touch and am not responsible for whatever happens. Comments welcomed.

Written by Masmo.

10chars
06-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Thank You! That was very helpful. I will use this alot, Good Job and very informative.

Quote:
and lastly we have the abu sayaf and MILF, two terrorist factions in the Philippines, and ivé yet to see any fruits of labor from the government concerning these terrorist threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
There's a MILF terrorist faction? Awesome! Sign me up.
06-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Isn't the bluetooth for iPhone 3G S too because it's working right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer
06-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Isn't the bluetooth for iPhone 3G S too because it's working right now...
He probably meant, only for ipod TOUCH 2G and not the 1G