Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Site Feedback and News

Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Merge iPhone and iPad main forums to just have "iOS Games"?

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this or even suggest it, but I think it would be much better if the main site games forums were organised into just "iOS App Store Games" and "Mac App Store Games" main categories, ie. don't have separate iPhone/iPod and iPad main game forums. My points for this are:
  1. Currently a universal game has to reside in the iPhone/iPod forum. This means people looking only for iPad games won't ever see discussions about the game.
  2. The platform is iOS. Main categories should be platform.
  3. Even a game that has separate iPhone and iPad versions (and therefore two threads) would benefit from having a single common discussion thread.
  4. Whether the game is Universal or just iPhone/iPod or just iPad should be marked in the thread title in a consistent, common way (I suggest always using square brackets [Universal], [iPhone/iPod] or [iPad])
  5. Everyone is familiar with the term iOS now

Naturally the separated 'Upcoming' forums can be merged into just one "Upcoming iOS Games" thread too.

Oh, and the "iPhone and iPod touch Developers" forum should be renamed to "iOS Developers". Thankyouplease. ;-)

* Yes you could create two threads for the game, and I did that for my game and I'm sure lots of people do, but my iPad forum thread was shut down by a mod. Makes sense having one thread so I'm not complaining, but point 1 above is a real issue.

Last edited by DemonJim; 10-13-2012 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Add points
Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Makes sense. Just be sure to clearly specify in the title if the game is iPad exclusive.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:19 PM
iPad mini

I've thought for a while that there should be a main games forum with universal games, and subforums for iPhone only and iPad only.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
I've thought for a while that there should be a main games forum with universal games, and subforums for iPhone only and iPad only.
^This.

Having a main forum for universal games makes much sense because I'd reckon >85% of games on the Appstore are universal. Then have two subforums - for iPhone games and for iPad games only respectively.

If a game has both SD and HD versions, it is to be posted on the Universal thread, but clearly marked with [SD/HD].

Time to refresh the forums anyway. This is running on an ancient version of vBulletin too. A lot of the forums seem to emphasize iPhone/iPod Touch as well, leaving the iPad in the cold because when the forums were set up, the iPad was not present.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Glad to see there are people with me on this!

If merging ia unfeasible or TA don't like the idea, I suggest at least the forums are renamed to reflect what they are for, so:

"iPhone and iPod touch Games" could be renamed to something like:
"iPhone iPod touch and Universal Games", or just:
"iOS App Store Games"
And "iPad Games" renamed to:
"iPad-Only Games", or
"iPad Exclusive Games"
This iPad forum renaming of course presumes there are new forum rules that say all SD/HD-split apps go in the main "iOS Games" forum. This way all games only ever have one game thread each.

Last edited by DemonJim; 10-15-2012 at 06:49 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to bladko

why not option to show or post particular new thread automatically in the second forum ?

there are still many apps for one platform
Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Completely agree.

I only play iPad games, and it took me weeks to realize that there was so much universal game discussion happening in the iphone/touch forum.

Should also merge the "upcoming" forums to be "upcoming iOS"
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Yeah, honestly, since I got my iPad in March, I've probably looked at the ipad games section twice! I just naturally gravitate toward the iPhone section.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord-sam View Post
Yeah, honestly, since I got my iPad in March, I've probably looked at the ipad games section twice! I just naturally gravitate toward the iPhone section.
Well, that is true for me too, but you know what? If all universal games were put into the ipad section, and the iphone section was iphone only, I would never look at the iphone section. Cause I never buy iphone only apps anymore.

But I would be for just one forum having notes in the threads to indicate what they were. Currently the ipad section is unfairly neglected, but who knows maybe it will change in the future.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I'd love if iPhone/iPod Touch Games & iPad games merged into one category under the name iOS Games & Upcoming iOS games