Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Default Galaxy on Fire 2 No more Retina !

Not happy about this at all. This was the first game I purchased for my new iPad 3 and have been really enjoying it. The Retina graphics are superb.

Noticed an update and downloaded just thinking it would be bug fixes.

No !

They have taken away Retina support !

I just don't get it. Big fanfare about Retina then take it out.

Got to say I'm pretty annoyed about it.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

This is poor. There's a thread on the official forums here about it also - http://forum.fishlabs.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3003

Don't update your game to advertise it as one of the flagship titles for the new iPad then pull the feature that sold the game to alot of people. I already owned the standard version and rebought the bloody thing (HD Version) simply to play it on the new screen, because there's no universal version.

If you're getting reports of framerate issues then optimise the game, don't make it look worse. That said I've never had any framerate issues whatsoever, much like those in the official thread I linked are saying.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifon View Post
This is poor. There's a thread on the official forums here about it also - http://forum.fishlabs.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3003

Don't update your game to advertise it as one of the flagship titles for the new iPad then pull the feature that sold the game to alot of people. I already owned the standard version and rebought the bloody thing (HD Version) simply to play it on the new screen, because there's no universal version.

If you're getting reports of framerate issues then optimise the game, don't make it look worse. That said I've never had any framerate issues whatsoever, much like those in the official thread I linked are saying.
I'll have a read of that thanks. I also had no performance problems. Just had a game. I really can't live with the graphics as hey stand now.

Ill not be using it again if they do not put retina back in. Waste of money and it's not like it was a cheap app.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:31 PM

Total cop-out. They should either fix their problems or at least provide an option for the player to select resolution. What they've done now is the worst possible solution and is disgraceful. I suspect they're ashamed of what they've done - if they have any self respect at all.

Jamie.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
Total cop-out. They should either fix their problems or at least provide an option for the player to select resolution. What they've done now is the worst possible solution and is disgraceful. I suspect they're ashamed of what they've done - if they have any self respect at all.

Jamie.
Well I've just signed up on their forums to let them know how I feel. I've also left a 1 star scathing review on the app store.

One things for sure though they had better fix this pdq or I'll not be entertaining any of their future releases.

Perhaps they intend to release ANOTHER paid for version with optimised Retina support ?

After this crazy move nothing would surprise me !
Old 06-18-2012, 05:49 PM

1440 x 1080 is what the new infinity blade 2 runs which is the best they gonna get, the problem is not with Fishlabs, its with apple making a device with a processor that can handle the load of the 2048x1536 resolution, to compensate you gotta make games run in a lower res or make textures at the retina res but downscale to a lower res.....you say there was no problem but there was huge FPS drops running in full retina on ipad 3 it was tough to play like that very sluggish....

so they went and made the res lower but not lower then ipad 2 or 1 which use 1024x768 so its still a pretty high res...

and i get you think its a cop out its not, they released the hd thing and it was broken at the start horrible frame rates across the board, textures looked great no doubt but they didn't have the ipad 3 to beta test it...they added the option to turn it off in a patch and it reverted it back to 1024x768 now i don't know why they would take that option out that is kinda dumb... but if its running textures at 1440x1080 i dunno id have to see it and my ipad i left at home today.

Fishlabs should not of taken the option out tho kinda dumb imo... but im sure they will fix it.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:59 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The point is that if i remember right, on the previous update they had an option which you could decide to run the game in retina resolution or lower. And the nice is that not only remove the retina but with the new method they did the filesize a monster 1,2gb!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Can someone please post the file sizes before and after the update? I'm sure file size had something to do with their decision.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM

The original file size was only 292mb and now it's 622mb. Why is the file larger if the game looks worse? I'm using the new iPad and have never had any issues with the frame rate running it in retina. Seems to me if people had problems with frame rates then don't use the retina option. I have put many hours into this game gathering supplies and accumulating credits in anticipation of SuperNova. This update was a crushing blow to the visuals and I was really looking forward to the Supernova Addon, but now I think I'll pass on it and probably won't be playing GOF2HD anymore.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpen00 View Post
The original file size was only 292mb and now it's 622mb. Why is the file larger if the game looks worse? I'm using the new iPad and have never had any issues with the frame rate running it in retina. Seems to me if people had problems with frame rates then don't use the retina option. I have put many hours into this game gathering supplies and accumulating credits in anticipation of SuperNova. This update was a crushing blow to the visuals and I was really looking forward to the Supernova Addon, but now I think I'll pass on it and probably won't be playing GOF2HD anymore.
What? That doesn't make any sense about the screen size. Seems like if they are going to go more low res, then the file size should get smaller. So seems natural to go from 622 to 292. Not the other way around.

But wow, if the file size got twice as big, and the graphics worse, what the heck is the extra memory used for. Too bad they took that options toggle off for all of you. Hopefully they will put it back.