Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
As far as tutorial goes... It's really not that complex of a game as far as rules go. The game does a lot of the work for you as far as figuring hits, misses and who is attacked. I'm not a game designer and am probably biased as I have the physical game but I don't really see how the tutorial could have been made better. It really does a good job, IMO, of explaining every thing on the screen. A read through the rules is mandatory though. This isn't a game where you can pick it up having never played it and expect the tutorial to hit on every single thing the way the rulebook can. As far as board game rule books go, the physical game does a great job as I never ran into a situation where I had a question that wasn't answered.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default I'm almost ready to buy Phantom Leader for iPad

I'm almost ready to buy this game. I love the solitaire aspect to it. I watched a few video reviews of the boardgame version and I like the gameplay a lot but physically it seems really cumbersome and troublesome to play. So I really want to know if the iPad version's UI is good and makes the electronic version less troublesome to play. But it is expensive so I have to wait for a review.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctagonTheory View Post
I'm almost ready to buy this game. I love the solitaire aspect to it. I watched a few video reviews of the boardgame version and I like the gameplay a lot but physically it seems really cumbersome and troublesome to play. So I really want to know if the iPad version's UI is good and makes the electronic version less troublesome to play. But it is expensive so I have to wait for a review.
Based on the boardgamegeek responses it sounds like many of the monotonous aspects of the game (counters and such) are streamlined in the iOS version, letting you concentrate on the gameplay. Getting really close to pulling the trigger on this one!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Ya me too, been waiting for this a while now. I love seeing games like this on iOS. Gonna wait on this for a bit, just cause of the influx of great games that are destined to come for holiday season.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

I was really looking forward to this but at $15 I'm going to need definitive proof that this is a perfectly functional implementation with no bugs and excellent UI, given that they had to spend no time developing AI and multiplayer components.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 AM

Solitaire? How does that work?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:27 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_neo View Post
I was really looking forward to this but at $15 I'm going to need definitive proof that this is a perfectly functional implementation with no bugs and excellent UI, given that they had to spend no time developing AI and multiplayer components.
I have never played the board game however the tutorials were enough to get me playing. The actual UI is very good, and I have yet to encounter a bug. Very good implementation of a board game. I believe the Dev stuck to making a copy of the actual game itself, digitized, without the setup nor cleanup.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by september View Post
I think they meant single player.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by september View Post
The physical boardgame itself is a solitaire game. The app does all the fiddly stuff you need to do when playing the physical boardgame, so single-player in reference to the app would be a better term.

EDIT: or what MunkieSuthorn said
Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Very true points. When I made my earlier post I wasn't even considering that the app would manage everything for you (call it what it is, a brain fart). So I can definitely see how this would be a much easier experience on the iPad as opposed to the physical version. I will be picking this up, but it will have to be near the end if the month after all the games I have been waiting for this month hit!