Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Loving this game so far, it's exactly what i've been looking for on the Ipad... a detailed, chit-based wargame.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I'm tempted but am held back NOT by the price, lack of animation, or, from what I understand, maybe 2 sound effects in the whole game, but the lack of any sort of statistic tracking!

Surely, especially since this is just solitaire, there would be a way to track one's best runs in each of the campaigns? If the game has nothing that really would make sense of converting it to some sort of efficiency score (how quickly, in terms of game days, the campaign was resolved factoring in enemies taken out vs. our own casualties), just some sort of W/L ratio for each Campaign would mean so much to me (if for no other reason give me a clue how difficult the various campaigns are if it took me 8 attempts, say, before I ever succeeded at it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 AM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm tempted but am held back NOT by the price, lack of animation, or, from what I understand, maybe 2 sound effects in the whole game, but the lack of any sort of statistic tracking!
Couldn't have said it better myself. When I play solitaire I keep these kind of stats on a piece of paper for stat keeping but it also tells a story.
I would prefer if this could be done in the app. Right now I take screen captures after each campaign which is clunky at best.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussifer View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. When I play solitaire I keep these kind of stats on a piece of paper for stat keeping but it also tells a story.
I would prefer if this could be done in the app. Right now I take screen captures after each campaign which is clunky at best.
Cumbersome, to be sure, but, hey, I think you may have solved my stat issue with all sorts of games with the idea of the "screenshot of final game stats"!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Cumbersome, to be sure, but, hey, I think you may have solved my stat issue with all sorts of games with the idea of the "screenshot of final game stats"!
Could this possibly mean that you won't be asking the "LordGek" question any more? Say it isn't so!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Finally grabbed this the other day. After a few days attempting to familiarise myself with the rules (no small task!), i "completed" my first short campaign last night. I say completed, but i failed miserably! I really enjoyed it though, providing a very tough challenge. There are many systems at work here and a wide variety of options how to complete a campaign.
This game is defintely not for the faint-hearted, but I appreciate that and welcome it on the ipad.
The Dev has already stated that leaderboards and achievements are on their way for the next update - primarily in response to the excellent episode of the "Three moves ahead" podcast in which they discussed the game in great depth (i recommend anyone with an interest in strategy games in general to go check that podcast out, its truly excellent).
I will defintely be putting much more time into this, its a very unique game which the appstore needs more of.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarypharaoh View Post
Finally grabbed this the other day. After a few days attempting to familiarise myself with the rules (no small task!), i "completed" my first short campaign last night. I say completed, but i failed miserably! I really enjoyed it though, providing a very tough challenge. There are many systems at work here and a wide variety of options how to complete a campaign.
This game is defintely not for the faint-hearted, but I appreciate that and welcome it on the ipad.
The Dev has already stated that leaderboards and achievements are on their way for the next update - primarily in response to the excellent episode of the "Three moves ahead" podcast in which they discussed the game in great depth (i recommend anyone with an interest in strategy games in general to go check that podcast out, its truly excellent).
I will defintely be putting much more time into this, its a very unique game which the appstore needs more of.
Whoa! You've sold me on both the podcast and game! Not as much the price but the lack of stat tracking held me off from this game initially. Looking at the Dev History for this game I see not only the promise of leaderboards but that the game is still being very actively developed (lots of updates) which to me makes any of the developer's promises that much more credible.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Whoa! You've sold me on both the podcast and game! Not as much the price but the lack of stat tracking held me off from this game initially. Looking at the Dev History for this game I see not only the promise of leaderboards but that the game is still being very actively developed (lots of updates) which to me makes any of the developer's promises that much more credible.
Scary I've been on the fence regarding Phantom Leader but I'll have to break down and give it a shot. LordGek, if you like these kins of games, take a look at Battle of the Bulge
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emos View Post
Scary I've been on the fence regarding Phantom Leader but I'll have to break down and give it a shot. LordGek, if you like these kins of games, take a look at Battle of the Bulge
I'm tempted but a little scared. Most historical games annoy me due to one simple aspect, historical accuracy. Contrary to what it might sound like, I don't give a shoot about how historically accurate a strategy game is but IF THE DEVS DO, it will likely mean a lot of heavily scripted missions in which the AI has been programmed to either act like his historical counterpart or will at the very least have the same basic unit setup (3 tank brigades in this corner and an infantry platoon over here).

In my ideal randomized deal, the individual units would be historically accurate but their exact makeup and placement would not attempt to be historically accurate. Much like the war was at the time, there would be a lot of adapting to the situations you find yourself in and not simply replaying some exact recreation of a battle. I want my strategy to be based on what I'm seeing as the game unfolds and not what I know of a battle from reading a history book.

With Phantom Leader's card and dice nature I'm reasonably confident all of the campaigns will be immensely replayable and, while based on historical events, not be some entirely scripted affair.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Man, I had forgotten about this one. I just saw a video of the iOS gameplay over on BGG, and I'm really tempted now.