★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Pocket Climber $0.99 -> FREE

11-06-2012, 05:02 PM
#1
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2,798
Pocket Climber $0.99 -> FREE


11-06-2012, 05:04 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,493
Nice.. thanks for the heads up

Game Center: sink_or_swim

11-06-2012, 05:09 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,190
I played this and it's a decent runner, but the this is one of those where the grind gets serious because of how steep the prices are.

It's actually pretty good with good responsive controls and nice visuals. And the climbing is a breath of fresh air compared with the norm.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-06-2012, 05:17 PM
#4
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 9,382
Looks good, shame to hear about the prices of the unlockables/upgrades, though...

Still gonna give it a whirl!

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.
11-07-2012, 12:57 AM
#5
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 990
I'm kinda peeved that I bought this a day or so ago and then it goes free right after, but oh well. I do quite like the game.

I found the prices low, actually. The last upgrade is 5000 or 7500, depending on what it is and the perishable items are headstarts--which are expensive--but I never use them in these kinds of games unless I need to for an achievement for using headstarts.

So, I suggest trying the game out before making a call on the pricing since it's free right now.
11-07-2012, 01:13 AM
#6
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
I'm kinda peeved that I bought this a day or so ago and then it goes free right after, but oh well. I do quite like the game.
yeah i always like to wait no matter how much i like or want a game. seems like over 6mo to year you get reviews, sales or it goes freebie
11-07-2012, 07:18 AM
#7
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,173
Looks good and the controls are (merely) decent, but it felt kinda cheap to me. Dudes throwing stuff out of windows right as you're just below them with zero chance to slide over. I get it, and it reminds me of another arcade game I remember playing back in the 70s (can't recall the name offhand). But it wasn't that fun back then, and it's less fun now. Erased it about five minutes in. Glad I didn't pay for it. That's one more McDouble on my lunch break.

Final Fantasy Tactics -- all day, every day.
11-07-2012, 07:57 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Looks good and the controls are (merely) decent, but it felt kinda cheap to me. Dudes throwing stuff out of windows right as you're just below them with zero chance to slide over. I get it, and it reminds me of another arcade game I remember playing back in the 70s (can't recall the name offhand).
I think you mean Crazy Climber. I remember playing the Famicom port when I was a kid.
11-07-2012, 09:31 AM
#9
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respox View Post
I think you mean Crazy Climber. I remember playing the Famicom port when I was a kid.
OMG, yes! That was the one.

Final Fantasy Tactics -- all day, every day.
11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
#10
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,166
I was hoping/expecting this game to go free eventually. Glad I waited.