11-08-2012, 12:14 AM
#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
I am enjoying the heck out of this one! Yet again it must be stated that this is an example of how I personally feel IAP can be done right! The game is a blast, it never seems to keep certain things from the player which makes me more apropos to throw money at it as I did! Coined doubler and coin pack to show my appreciation to the developers. I am one of those that hate IAP currency models but lately with this and games like Punch Quest, I have been eating a little bit of crow! I look forward to the inevitable updates!
Chillingo appreciates your contribution and will be sure to only put it towards "good" IAP in the future!
11-08-2012, 02:40 AM
#22
definitely agree with adding the following features:

- the option to remove weapons from the weapon pool

- auto aim at all times (at least as an option)

11-08-2012, 04:24 AM
#23
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,029
Well i've been away so i've been late on last nights games. Finally downloaded them

Storm the Train i love ! 'Contra' on a train ! Great stuff.

Only played the first few missions but plays really well, happy to buy an IAP as a 'thanks' to the dev. I wont buy anymore as i want this game to be challenging (sure it is) as i'll be playing this one a lot.

But totally my ideal type of game, left/right controls, jump/fire, looking forward to playing this one a lot.
11-08-2012, 04:39 AM
#24
Thanks for the kind words guys and thanks also for the suggestions for auto-aim, deselectable weapons and more destructible coin-belchers in the environment - all good ideas. We'll add them to our list for when we do the next update. 1.1 will be submitted quite soon (some rather exiting new additions in there ) so any of these would be in for 1.2. We do intend updating regularly.

@nao no, there is a third environment too, Oriental (ninja, samurai) and that is unlocked by completing a mission at around the 20 star mark.
11-08-2012, 05:22 AM
#25
Game Impressions

Really don't know what some folks in this thread are on about. This game is about as IAP-driven as they come. Superfluous dual currency, huge reward imbalance with clear intent to force the player to pay up or grind, sharp difficulty spikes along with insulting (unskippable) prompts after each death to pay up for another life. Did I miss anything? Yes, the game itself is pretty cool, but let's not confuse issues please.
11-08-2012, 05:35 AM
#26
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,029
Well for many of us we've only played the first few levels, so far havent had to buy anything. Perhaps later if we do have to buy things we'll criticise it.

So far so good though for me personally. If shortly i'm 'forced' to buy an expensive IAP then believe me i'll moan. But first impressions (as many people post on game threads) have been good.
11-08-2012, 05:44 AM
#27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Really don't know what some folks in this thread are on about. This game is about as IAP-driven as they come. Superfluous dual currency, huge reward imbalance with clear intent to force the player to pay up or grind, sharp difficulty spikes along with insulting (unskippable) prompts after each death to pay up for another life. Did I miss anything? Yes, the game itself is pretty cool, but let's not confuse issues please.
Hi Gabrien

Sorry to hear you don't like our IAP strategy. I thought I'd try to address your points.

Superfluous dual currency: I don't think I'd call the stars a currency really. Yes, you can buy them (to jump ahead of the curve) but you never spend them. They are our mechanism for unlocking content as you play through the game and are similar to a level/xp mechanic.

Huge reward imbalance: we tried very hard to make sure this wasn't the case as it is really important to us that it is *not* grindy. Have we got it all right? No, probably not so any specific feedback would be very welcome because we want to sort it out.

Sharp difficulty spike: again, if there are balance issues then we're here to fix them.

New life prompt: hmm, I never thought of it as a pestering prompt. We tried to make sure that the cost was cheap enough that it is well within the amount of coins likely collected during a pretty swift play session and the prompt is only up for 3 seconds. We'll give this some thought - skippability is certainly a good idea.

Last edited by LeeH; 11-08-2012 at 05:52 AM.
11-08-2012, 05:52 AM
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
Hi Gabrien

Sorry to hear you don't like our IAP strategy. I thought I'd try to address your points.

Superfluous dual currency: I don't think I'd call the stars a currency really. Yes, you can buy them (to jump ahead of the curve) but you never spend them. They are our mechanism for unlocking content as you play through the game and are similar to a level/xp mechanic.

Huge reward imbalance: we tried very hard to make sure this wasn't the case as it is really important to us that it is *not* grindy. Have we got it all right? No, probably not so any specific feedback would be very welcome because we want to sort it out.

Sharp difficulty spike: again, if there are balance issues then we're here to fix them.

New life prompt: hmm, I never thought of it as a pestering prompt. We tried to make sure that the cost was cheap enough that it is well within the amount of coins likely collected during a pretty swift play session and the prompt is only up for 5 seconds. We'll give this some thought - skippability is certainly a good idea.
Just ignore Gabrien. Half of the things he says are ridiculously over exaggerated.

While I usually stay away from Chillingo games because I feel they usually are freemium, this is a big step in the right direction. It's fun, has a good amount of upgrades and rewards, and I haven't had any trouble getting coins.
11-08-2012, 05:59 AM
#29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themagicjesus View Post
Just ignore Gabrien. Half of the things he says are ridiculously over exaggerated.
Opinionated? Sure. But reading his posts for a few months now, I feel his opinions are credible.

It's free, so I'm glad to try it, but based on past experience alone, I don't find his impressions of this type of game to be all that unexpected, really. And hopefully the devs do listen.

Final Fantasy Tactics -- all day, every day.
11-08-2012, 06:03 AM
#30
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themagicjesus View Post
Just ignore Gabrien. Half of the things he says are ridiculously over exaggerated.

While I usually stay away from Chillingo games because I feel they usually are freemium, this is a big step in the right direction. It's fun, has a good amount of upgrades and rewards, and I haven't had any trouble getting coins.
I agree i wouldnt ignore Gabrien, too many people just think of his negative comments rather than positives ones. He is right a lot of times but with a huge wide range of players here with different tastes its worth giving it a go, i mean its free anyway. Some of the threads on this main page i cant believe people are interested in but again, we all have different tastes.

I kinda know what i get with Chillingo. Lock n Load was a great dual stick shooter (with IAP's) and this seems similar. Yes this ones 'free' and i will buy an IAP as i feel the games worth it, perhaps later i will get frustrated and start moaning about freemium/being 'forced' to buy things but again often in these threads on a Thursday morning its about first impressions and so far i'm enjoying it.

Granted i really love Contra style games, run n jump's, so i do like this one. I would like to know how much Gabrien has played this one, eg if hes reached 'level 5' and its forcing him to buy IAP's then fair enough. I feel some people do say 'no' the second they know its freemium (Not saying Gabrien, just other TA gamers), i say give this a try and see how you get on. With a lot of games you might hit the 'paywall' and then just move onto another game anyway.

As a run n jump fan i'll be giving this a lot of attention