11-08-2012, 06:31 AM
#31
@psj: I don't know, are there levels in this game? As a rough estimate I'd say I've put in a bit over an hour or so. For what it's worth, I've enjoyed the core gameplay enough to persevere past the point of reasonable doubt as to the game's design ethos.

Bottom line: I find this to be very much the typical example of what's wrong with freemium gaming: an experience primarily designed to extract payment from the player, as opposed to primarily deliver optimal gaming experience.

The stand out factor in this instance happens to be that the gameplay itself is highly promising and potentially very enjoyable. More's the pity.
11-08-2012, 06:59 AM
#32
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
@psj: I don't know, are there levels in this game? As a rough estimate I'd say I've put in a bit over an hour or so. For what it's worth, I've enjoyed the core gameplay enough to persevere past the point of reasonable doubt as to the game's design ethos.

Bottom line: I find this to be very much the typical example of what's wrong with freemium gaming: an experience primarily designed to extract payment from the player, as opposed to primarily deliver optimal gaming experience.

The stand out factor in this instance happens to be that the gameplay itself is highly promising and potentially very enjoyable. More's the pity.
Ta for letting me know, to be fair i havent played for an hour, been away, installed it this morning and had a few goes.

Like you say theres different types of freemium, some are 'light' and often 'here dev heres 69p', others are 'hold on a second, you want me to buy that 'super bazooka for 1.99 or i cant continue' which can be a pain !

I'll see how i get on !

11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
#33
I... am thoroughly enjoying this one. I love the star/level/xp system, and earning coins to upgrade everything as it's unlocked and you complete objectives is great. I haven't had one upgrade when I couldn't afford something, and right now, I've got 5k coins waiting to be spent once my next upgrades are unlocked...

I'm really thinking about buying the coin doubler... not because I feel it's needed, but because I feel that I've enjoyed the game enough to toss the devs a couple dollars... it also helps that there wasn't really anything else released this week that caught my attention. =oP

Right now, I'm at level 28 (star level...) - and with the amount of upgrades, and how they're all worked into the game, along with the crazy amount of coins you can get - I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I really hope Chillingo sees that this is how games need to be balanced to keep a foot in the freemium scene. =oD

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
.Decluster, Final Fantasy Record Keeper, Incoboto, Imps In Tokyo, Auro
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;: syntheticvoid
:;:CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:;: cEvin Key - Music For Cats & Download - Furnace+III
11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
#34
Hm..don't know I'm the only one that gets this bug... On my iPod touch 5, the interface is all messed up. It looks like the full screen and menus are too big to fit in the iPod touch screen. Things are chopped off, and I can't see most of the menus buttons. Some of the buttons that I can see are chopped off.

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?
11-08-2012, 08:44 AM
#35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
Hm..don't know I'm the only one that gets this bug... On my iPod touch 5, the interface is all messed up. It looks like the full screen and menus are too big to fit in the iPod touch screen. Things are chopped off, and I can't see most of the menus buttons. Some of the buttons that I can see are chopped off.
I got the same "bug" on my 5G touch, game was rapidly deleted as it's at least one update short of actually working.

Game Center : "Chip H.". Grand Poobah of Troop "Touch Arcade" in Battle Camp (referral code: hns1w1 )
11-08-2012, 08:49 AM
#36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themagicjesus View Post
Just ignore Gabrien. Half of the things he says are ridiculously over exaggerated.
I'm in your camp. I put him on ignore ages ago. Sure, if he does have a positive opinion about something that's a good sign since he's pretty much impossible to please, but others will quote or reference the positive opinion saving me the trouble of reading it directly. Otherwise, it's nothing but a seemingly infinite conga line of semi trucks carrying overly serious sour lemons. I'd just as soon save myself the trouble of voluntarily exposing myself to that level of negativity and pessimism just to read about the one game in fifty that meets the Gabrien lofty approval standards.

Game Center : "Chip H.". Grand Poobah of Troop "Touch Arcade" in Battle Camp (referral code: hns1w1 )
11-08-2012, 08:49 AM
#37
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themagicjesus View Post
Just ignore Gabrien. Half of the things he says are ridiculously over exaggerated.
Errr so you've been here for 2 months, handful of posts yet you seem to know 'half the things' hes said ?

People will have different views, the dev wrote a great post above addressing some of Gabriens criticisms. Thankfully the dev didnt think 'just ignore his comments' as that would be stupid. Hes taken the criticism on board and has replied which is great.
11-08-2012, 08:52 AM
#38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
Hm..don't know I'm the only one that gets this bug... On my iPod touch 5, the interface is all messed up. It looks like the full screen and menus are too big to fit in the iPod touch screen. Things are chopped off, and I can't see most of the menus buttons. Some of the buttons that I can see are chopped off.
Ach! Damnations - that's the one device we didn't have access to to test on. We'll get it sorted ASAP. Any chance you could PM me a screenshot?
11-08-2012, 08:55 AM
#39
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Errr so you've been here for 2 months, handful of posts yet you seem to know 'half the things' hes said ?

People will have different views, the dev wrote a great post above addressing some of Gabriens criticisms. Thankfully the dev didnt think 'just ignore his comments' as that would be stupid. Hes taken the criticism on board and has replied which is great.
You really have no way of knowing how long someone has been reading the forums. You can read stuff without logging in. I read this forum for a long time before creating an account. And he's right. The dude over exaggerates complaints like he's got some weird agenda. Most of the things he says are ridiculously incoherent and forced. He reminds me of people that take too much Adderall and start talking about nonsense. Dev's would be wasting their time listening to his dribble.
11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
#40
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotwars View Post
The dude over exaggerates complaints like he's got some weird agenda. Most of the things he says are ridiculously incoherent and forced. He reminds me of people that take too much Adderall and start talking about nonsense. Dev's would be wasting their time listening to his dribble.
lolno.

Go check out the "infinite", "Irrupt" or "Wrestle Jump" threads for some examples of games that Gabrien has done nothing about, but praise. I've said it a million times before and I'll say it each and every time this same bullshit topic comes up: Gabrien knows his stuff and if he likes something you can be damn sure you will too.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"