Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
If you want a real fanservice MLPFIM game, wait for Fighting is Magic to be released. It is going to be a freeware fighting game with the MLPFIM characters and actually looks pretty good. I'm not a Brony or anything, but I have seen the show thanks to my wife watching it and I do see the appeal.
Waiting for that game as well. Apart from this brawler, there are plenty other cool initiatives underway.
Being a big fan of the Phoenix Wright series, I am happy to report that a similar style game is underway called My Little Investigations to name one.
Next to those two examples more can be found at Equestriagaming.com
Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I just wish this game could be played offline...this game sounds so awesome

Yes, I'm a brony...sue me
Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Another brony, turned on to the show by my wife. While yes, I was a bit disappointed it's another -ville / city manager type game, I'm actually quite pleased with the quality. High res 3D art, voice acting, fairly amusing if perhaps simplistic gameplay. Better than expected, and cute for what it is.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Really? Because it has been said that it's perfectly playable without IAP.
What a shame.
Only played 15 minutes and obviously you have played longer.
So are the voices from Ashleigh Ball (Applejack, Rainbow Dash) and Andrea Libman (Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy) in there as well?
I have played on and off today & It can be done without IAP but it does tax my "But I want it NOW" </Applebloom> patience. There is a lot of waiting-to-generate-enough-cash involved. But watching the npc ponies wander is great fun.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Got foiled by my 4 y.o.. He is playing their godawful game design but nice graphical style "game" Monster Life and found an ad for MLP:FIM, wanted it, and I told him not unless his big sister asked for it, so as soon as they get together this afternoon he starts bugging her to ask for it...

So now we all have ponies

As someone who's never seen the new series, I have no attachment one way or another to the characters, but setting wise, it looks like GL nailed it. Everything is ridiculously over the top cute as though a pinata filled with the pure essence of pink girliness was exploded all over this game. As others have noted, there is some sort of rudimentary pony AI and it does make for a more "living world" than any other freemium builder GL has done.

Mechanically, it's as simplistic as any of their other freemium titles, with a seemingly never ending series of tasks doing the typical freemium quest elements. I do like the way the resource generating building work with you staffing them and then they automatically keep producing whatever you select, it's not a huge leap forward for the genre, but it is better than most. The presentation of these run of the mill elements is outstanding, however.

The mini games do spice up the otherwise brain dead rote tasks the core game is built around and give you a reason to hang around in the game longer than just tapping on some building and moving on. However, they're not exactly great mini games (particularly the ball tossing one) and, so far, I've only seen two; I'm hoping there's more variety if I stick with this for any time.

There actually is a story of sorts, and it's seemingly lore friendly although the basic structure is no different than the story for The Simpsons: Tapped Out or Smurf Village. The amount of voice acting in the game is impressive for a freemium builder.

Now, the IAP: On a meta level, this game's IAP is akin to the way Smurf Village handled it. You can play and amass quite a large collection of ponies, shops, special decorations, etc., without spending a dime, but there is no way in hades you're ever going to be able to have all or even nearly all the ponies short of a gargantuan friends network and the patience of Job without pouring a LOT of real cash into this game (If you wanted to unlock everything by tomorrow I'd guess there's probably over $300 worth of IAP involved in just the launch content, it might be much higher). So long as you're clear this is a freemium builder where you need to wait for things to happen and realize you're not going to be able to get everything in the game, the *need* to pay does not exist.

On the other hand, major raspberries for the way GL handled presenting many IAP elements in this game which is so clearly going to appeal primarily to a younger audience. When you go the ponies section in the store, the first ones you are presented with are ones you can only win by a premium currency lottery where each try costs a few dollars. When you go to the daily lottery game, the coin one is set far in the back with the expensive gem ones center frame and huge. When you play games with the ponies to "level" them, they charge you coins OR gems (coins are both money AND energy in this game) and they push you toward selecting the higher multiplier ones that cost 10 times the coins for only double the "XP" or, worse, $0.50 worth of gems for quadruple "XP" even though there is no reason whatsoever to do so (there are a few tasks in shops ponies must be of X star level, but you'll get there soon enough without emptying your wallet).

So, it's ridiculously cute, tightly presented, and presents a large amount of content available to anyone who puts in their time with the game. However, a good deal of highly desirable (I assume ) ponies are kept securely behind a pay or wait a really, really, really, really, really long time wall, and the tip jar is always jingling in your face no matter what you're doing.

About the only real flaw I've ran into is the standard Gameloft not having their GL Live integration working at launch so I can't actually visit my kids or have them visit me because there's just a "invited" by their name but no way for us to approve them as neighbors that I've found so far.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 PM
iPad 2

Do you like ponies? Do you love the new mlp app? Do you need a friendd to send you stuff so you can get fan favorites like spitfire and filthy rich? Then add me!!! I'm awesome firefly432 ps. on gameloft live
Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Addicting so far. Very Addicting. I like the leveling up of the ponies mechanic/grind.

Add me on gameloft: chrisg23
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

app for kids, how come it appears here
Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 PM

Did they cut the sale early? Everything seems to be full price again.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 AM

Is the social gaming part not working? I've added more than a dozen people and so far I've gotten one paltry treasure chest.