★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I think I've hit a definite paywall. After spending days "preparing" for Applejack, whom I had already bought and was happily walking around the town the whole time, my next goal is to prepare for Rarity. But Rarity costs 90 gems, about $10 worth, and the game stopped giving me gems several levels ago. I can't see a way to get them without buying them.

Has anyone passed this point? Does it give you a break on the gems when it comes to buying Rarity? If not, I think that's it for me.
11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm at about the same point. I'm hoping completing the quests enables some sort of discount for her or the ability to purchase her for coins. If not, I'll throw in the towel too. I can appreciate the need to make money on a game that the dev spent time and money on, but Rarity is a member of the main cast! Hiding her behind a pay wall of premium content is inexcusable. I'm not spending a dime when the IAP is this gratuitous.

11-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveCynic View Post
I'm at about the same point. I'm hoping completing the quests enables some sort of discount for her or the ability to purchase her for coins. If not, I'll throw in the towel too. I can appreciate the need to make money on a game that the dev spent time and money on, but Rarity is a member of the main cast! Hiding her behind a pay wall of premium content is inexcusable. I'm not spending a dime when the IAP is this gratuitous.

I have been able to get VERY rare gems from Derpy hooves. But not enough to get rarity...
11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

Click on above icons to discover more about the games!

MY LITTLE PONY -
FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC

is a nominee for
Touch Arcade Game of the Week
07/11/2012

Do you like to saddle up for adventure with Twilight Sparkle & friends?

VOTE HERE
- Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Poll close
11-14-2012 at 06:26 PM
11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Season 3 is gonna be awesome Watching episode 2 right now

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
11-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Bronies! Let's vote for the game in the GOTW thread!!

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
11-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisco View Post
I have been able to get VERY rare gems from Derpy hooves. But not enough to get rarity...
I've gotten exactly 2 gems from her so far. It'd be nice if she gave you a gem every time since spotting her is a fairly infrequent occurrence but sadly that's not the case.

I have some more bad news. I've reached a quest in the Rarity preparation chain that wants me to purchase 3 decorations, 2 of which cost gems: the Guard Statue and Ice Sculpture. They cost 55 and 42 gems respectively for a total of 97 gems. Meanwhile, Rarity herself costs 90 gems. So basically the game wants me to spend more gems on useless decorative items than on a central member of the MLP cast.

As far as I can tell, there are only 3 ways to get free gems in the game. 1) By leveling up. 2) Finding Derpy. 3) Playing the balloon popping minigame.

1 stops giving you gems after a certain point. I forgot when exactly, but I think I stopped receiving them around level 20 or so.

2 gives you gems extremely rarely and that's IF you can find Derpy in the first place.

3 can only be played for free once every 24 hours. Additional rounds cost 25 gems (which defeats our purpose in this case) or 30 hearts, which can be gifted by friends via the the social media aspect of the game. Unless you have hundreds or thousands of friends who reliably gift you every day, I doubt you'd get more than 1 or 2 extra plays per day from hearts, which only gets you a CHANCE to win a gem.

TL;DR: Gameloft practically forces you to purchase in-game currency later on if you want to advance in the game. MLP: Friendship is Magic the game has turned out to be just another way to exploit parents and fans out of hard-earned money and cash in on a beloved franchise. Once again, greed and the freemium gameplay model join forces to ruin another game with the potential to be more.

Last edited by NaiveCynic; 11-11-2012 at 04:49 PM.
11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks for posting that. I guess I won't bother with it leveling up any more.
11-11-2012, 04:38 PM
It would be different if you could give gems other ways but leveling stopped now its based on luck. Now this joins the god awful iap freemeiums of tv shows and iap gone bad with simpsons tapped out
11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Looking at the ponies it seems it would take over 100 dollars in cash to unlock everything, which seems utterly ridiculous. Is there really no way to get gems? Is it possible that the shops that cost gems produce gems? I'm very curious about that. I'm pretty addicted to this game and don't want to see this happen. Has anyone reached a level cap? I feel that it just has to be possible to unlock everything without dropping benjamins.