Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.x

Looking at the ponies it seems it would take over 100 dollars in cash to unlock everything, which seems utterly ridiculous. Is there really no way to get gems? Is it possible that the shops that cost gems produce gems? I'm very curious about that. I'm pretty addicted to this game and don't want to see this happen. Has anyone reached a level cap? I feel that it just has to be possible to unlock everything without dropping benjamins.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkuchuu View Post
Looking at the ponies it seems it would take over 100 dollars in cash to unlock everything, which seems utterly ridiculous. Is there really no way to get gems? Is it possible that the shops that cost gems produce gems? I'm very curious about that. I'm pretty addicted to this game and don't want to see this happen. Has anyone reached a level cap? I feel that it just has to be possible to unlock everything without dropping benjamins.
It IS ridiculous. I totaled up the cost of every pony and shop (excluding all decorative items which have zero utility) and it adds up to almost 5000 gems. You would have to spend a minimum of $350 to get everything.

As I noted in my previous post, there are only 3 apparent ways to earn free gems, 1 of which stops being a reliable source after level 20, and the other 2 aren't reliable at all. Even playing the game religiously, Derpy and the balloon minigame probably wouldn't earn you more than 2 gems per day unless you're incredibly lucky and spend every waking moment combing the map for Derpy.

So, assuming you could reliably get 2 gems per day, you'd make 730 gems per year which isn't enough to even afford Princess Celestia. To earn enough to buy everything, you'd have to play the game for almost 7 years. That's also assuming updates don't add additional content or even increase the price of items and that Gameloft would continue to support the game for that period of time.

My advice: Get out before you sink any more time into the game. Unless you're willing to spend massive amounts of money (or time) playing, you're just setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment once you hit the pay wall.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, there are 4 ponies I haven't unlocked yet that could potentially cost more gems. My point still stands of course, but the gem total might be even higher. Considering the cost of some other ponies, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to charge 500 gems for Rainbow Dash.

UPDATE: I was close to level 43 anyway and kept going out of curiosity. Rainbow Dash DOES cost 500 gems. Fans will have to pony up an extra $50 just for her (pun intended).

Last edited by NaiveCynic; 11-12-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

what did I just click on...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Dont like those ponies :/
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

It's sad to read that we get F'd in the B that hard in the end. Really hoped that it would be doable without IAP even if this meant to be extremely patient.
Hopefully more bronies will get into outrage because of this and force Gameloft to tone it down a bit. The community does have a big impact on things these days, especially when it's related to the very thing they love so much.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Well, it was a cute distraction for a few days, but the complete lack of any sense of *building* in a freemium builder along with the standard broken Gameloft freemium economy was more than my patience could handle. MLP:FIM was deleted this afternoon after I realized that crap springs up in empty spaces faster than any sort of casual play generates resources to deal with it (the *two* parasprite swarms for rare elements that sprang up just since last night was the last straw). There are so many freemium builders out there you've got to do more than just come up with some good pony models running around if you want to sell to more than the hardcore.

Now it's just my daughter, let's see how long she stays with it
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I had no idea what a "brony" was until just now...

DBC
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 PM

Yeah, this could have been fun, but with the way they've set it up to drive bucks out of people, it's really just an awful chore. I wouldn't have minded paying a few bucks for it, but at least $50 worth of IAP (or slowly grind for a year?) No thanks.

If anyone else has given up on the game but enjoyed the flying minigame, which was the best one, Mighty Mouse: My Hero is a good substitute.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
It's sad to read that we get F'd in the B that hard in the end. Really hoped that it would be doable without IAP even if this meant to be extremely patient.
Hopefully more bronies will get into outrage because of this and force Gameloft to tone it down a bit. The community does have a big impact on things these days, especially when it's related to the very thing they love so much.
It's a nice sentiment and I wouldn't discourage anyone to let their voice be heard, but I sincerely doubt Gameloft would do anything. If you look at Top Charts on the App Store, MLP is the #37 top grossing app. If people are willing to pay them, they're not going to lower those ridiculous IAP prices. It's disgusting and exploitative, but I doubt Gameloft cares as long as they continue to take in the profits.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM

I've kept playing partially out of a sense of investment of what I've put into the game already and partially to test if there's a better way to earn gems without IAP and have some new findings to share for anyone who's interested.

It's pretty much all bad news. My 2 gems per day estimate was too generous. The free balloon pop has given me exactly 1 gem out of all the times I've played it (every day since release). Finding Derpy has gotten me 2 more gems. I neglected to figure in the daily login rewards which give a gem on day 4 and 2 gems on day 5. When all is said and done though, I averaged less than 1 gem per day since my previous post.

I also finished unlocking all of the ponies. Together, they add another 1800 gems to be purchased so any completionists will need to drop about $500 on virtual currency. Probably more since some ponies can only be won with the balloon popping game.

Free games once every 24 hours either lock them out of the prize pool or have abysmally low chances. Paying hearts seems to net decorative items fairly often, including ones that cost gems, but I've yet to see a pony. I've only played a few games though so my sampling size isn't big enough to give me a clear picture. I would imagine paying gems gives even better odds but you're still at Lady Luck's mercy either way.

In a nutshell I didn't really learn anything new. Just that the situation is even bleaker than we thought. I will say one thing though: It's not entirely Gameloft's fault. Sure they're charging outrageous prices, but hey, people are paying them. Their business model wouldn't survive if it didn't make them any money.