As Apple's stock price fall, do you think app store will be affected?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by vinapen, Nov 8, 2012.

1. #1 vinapen, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    As Apple's stock price fall, do you think app store will be affected?

[​IMG]

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I don't think stock will effect it much but it's definitely in some danger of developers deserting mainly due to Android completely dominating it in sales and possibly even from Windows RT.

Just to sate how fast the momentum is changing a few months ago Apple bragged about 750,000 apps and one month later Google did the same so Androids gaining at an incredible rate and will probably overtake it soon.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #3 crunc, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Can you name even one app developer that has abandoned the iOS app store for Android?

Anyway, the stock market makes no sense half the time or more.

4. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #4 Teknikal, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Mozilla comes to mind you can still get Firefox on Android but of course most developers now are supporting both and probably will continue to for now.

It's still a real risk though when Androids getting 75% of all smartphone shipments, I fully expect Google Play to have more apps than iTunes before the year ends last I read they both had 750,000 and Apple had years of a head start.

Also iPhone isn't even the best selling individual phone anymore

5. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Honestly I don't think that this stock fall is any more than a tiny hiccup. Will have minimal to no effect on the app store. I'm quite happy with the apple stock fall, though. apple has become steadily over-arrogant over the past few years, and this has come in the expense of both consumers and developers happiness. especially the developers. I'm not sorry for the investors either.. they had plenty of profits from the share. this is stock market -> you win some you lose some. rules of the game.

maybe this will wake whoever is in charge there from his or her pink dreams. seeing a flashing fate similar to that of Nokia's should have a chilling and alarming effect on any commercial entity inside the business. time to make a real change, not just bring out rancid clichés and "we're making a change" slogans. this is the present, not the year 2000.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yet people still seem complain that the Android app store is crappy. My son's Android certainly has a pretty crappy selection but he doesn't have a cutting edge phone so that is a big part of that, but some of the games he does have are not the same and are far less complete. One that comes to mind is Pocket God. Perhaps even abandoned? So I guess it's there, but not in full form.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    since when does the number of total apps matter?

if you check the actual quality of the offerings on both app stores you see a huge difference.. in big favour for ios.

the potential market size is not the same as sold devices especially true on android which is at least as popluar as ios in my circles.. but there is a huge gap how money is spend.. especially since the choice to go for android was the price of the hardware compared to the newest iphone..

bottom line is i dont know a single android user who actually bought something on their device.. they all run free or ad based apps. hell in most cases i bought stuff on their devices with my cc to show them some real games and not the junk they actually enjoy playing.. like thoose are 90s phone games..

as long as the actual user spend alot more $ under ios than android we wont see a mass leaving anywhere soon..

8. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Point is simply Apples market share is shrinking and yes that could have a very real effect on the app store it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it in third place in a few years.

As for the stock price it fluctuates a lot but given Apples decisions as of late I really expect it will be on an overall downward slope in the next few years.

9. developers deserting, in fact this is the effect.

10. About this topic you mentioned Android which I never related by asking the question, so this is an evidence that Android becomes more and more powerful. Android is good for the low-end market. But it almost has nothing new—it just takes things from Apple. If it continues doing this, Apple could never be threatened.

11. outqube

outqube Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    App Developer
    Canada
    the stock always goes through a couple corrections. I think people over react to news, but if you look at their numbers that is where the truth is.

everyone should be long apple!

12. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well out of the 750,000 apps on iTunes only about a third of them have actually had a single download so that doesn't exactly say their all high quality apps to me.

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

You are so full of shit, no one can take you seriously.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It was always pretty obvious this was going to happen. No company can keep going up indefinitely, everything peaks. What really matters is how far things drop and where they level out.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    At the end of the day devs will go to wherever they can make the most money. So even though freemium is 'evil' if devs make a lot of money for that they'll keep supporting iOS apps

My fear is for the small team of devs who create apps for $2, people dont buy them, wait for price drops (or free) and these devs eventually think 'cant make that much money here, we'll move to Android instead....'

We need to make sure devs keep developing for ios, buy their cheap games at the released price so they get more money and want to keep producing apps for iOS.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I am not arguing that all the apps on the iOS app store are quality - of course there is junk too. The good devs are continuing with iOS, and supporting their apps there. Android has had the market share advantage for some time now but it hasn't resulted in an exodus of iOS developers.