Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Kitten Sanctuary by Clockwork Pixels : Universal App

Hello,

Please take a look at my first iOS game, Kitten Sanctuary ... released today (March 27th).

It's a Match 3 + Pet Sim game, so it's a real family game, and as such I've decided to stay clear of IAPs. Although there's a shop in the game with lots of toys and decorations to buy, all the credits you need are earned by playing the game ... kind of a novel idea these days ; )

The game is currently priced at $0.99, available on the App Store:

... and ... there's a Lite version available for free which includes the first sanctuary & 10 kittens:

App Store Link : Kitten Sanctuary Lite

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

I'm currently working on Darkside, which plays great with the virtual sticks. I'm adding Game Centre support, so this will make its way into Kitten Sanctuary later as an update.

Any and all feedback welcome : )

Thank you,
George

Last edited by Clockwork Pixels; 03-28-2012 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Added App Store & HD tags : Thanks Sanuku!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin

this looks ADORABLE....buying and trying out soon, will be back with impressions.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I honestly don't know how anyone could possibly click on this thread, read the first post & app description and not immediately click their buy button. Between the app being evidently polished, the very frank "before we start experimenting" comment, Universal and the lack of IAPs, I don't think I'd care if the game was the crappiest thing conceived in years (which it clearly isn't), I'm convinced and very, very impressed. Buying in a sec.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Default Game Impressions

Okay, impressions:

This looks FANTASTIC. The graphics are very polished and absolutely cute. The gameplay is basic match 3 stuff, where your objective is to clear out spaces on the board. However, the devs added a small variation in that you can make matches diagonally, which adds some interesting combinations. There are lots of different powerups you can unlock and the gameplay is smooth and very good in bite-sized "coffeebreak" chunks.

Outside of the match 3 game, you collect ("free" from the evil aliens) kittens from each level and play with them...so it's a pet sim as well. You can buy toys and feed them with resources you collect during the match game. It is surprisingly fun. Each kitten also comes with their own bio and backstory, which adds a lot to the game. This game is overflowing with charm and polish, which is really nice to see in a market that tends to have games that are kind of clunky.

One extra thing that makes it neat is that each level, you are matching tiles to get to a certain quota to properly feed and take care of your kittens. I really like this, especially because it ties directly into your kittens' mood rating and how much they love you.

A few issues i've already (unfortunately) noticed though-- I tapped on shop in the sanctuary and the app crashed...then when I came back, all of the kittens I'd freed from the first two levels were GONE. Replaying those levels did not bring them back, either. WHERE DID THEY GO I MISS THEM

And additionally, it would be nice to have an option to turn down the "flashing" graphics when you make matches...my SO has some issues with sensory overload/epilepsy so it would make the game more accessible for her and people like her.

tl;dr-- worth a buy, but i hope the devs bring back my mysteriously disappearing kittens.

edit: one other thing that would be great is if the playfield was slightly bigger. It is kind of tiny at the moment.

edit2: after playing some more, I found out that kittens who leave can come back. No more issues here. I also reboot my device and cleared the memory, and now going to the shop no longer crashes it. Must have just been a one time thing.

Last edited by SkyMuffin; 03-27-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

While I've only played around with the lite, here's my impressions so far:

To be honest I'm not a big fan of cutesy nor does the idea of having a little interactive playpen of kittens do much for me...BUT this being said, this is a very solid match 3 with a lot of innovative twists!

As a stat fan I'm loving how they track your top score on each level in addition to the total score. So if in your journey you find one level was particularly fun, go ahead and replay it to your heart's content to get the most amazing score possible! I also like some of the subtle touches in the end of level scoring where you are awarded for left over kitten power, unused power-ups, and time left on the clock. Trying to get the ultimate score on a level will not be a simply matter of finishing it as quick as possible since in such a case your unlikely to have gathered as much kitten power or made as many power-ups to leave unused at the end of the level. It is up to you to figure out how best to maximize a level's score.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Played for about 15 minutes and yep...this is one Match-3 you're gonna wanna make space for. The music and color palette are calm and relaxing, the game just oozes charm and adorableness from every nook and cranny. Retina graphics, (like I said above) a Universal build, extremely polished and hey...you've got a frickin' kitten sanctuary on your phone. Highly recommended...and seriously Clockwork Pixels; start experimenting with your prices soon because this is a steal at a dollar.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

ok im sold just cuz of how cute/adorable it looks xD
Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

@SkyMuffin

Thanks for purchasing ... I think you might have doubled my sales (at least according to iTunes) : )

Thanks also for the feedback ... sorry to hear about the missing kittens. There are two explanations I can think of...

1) Sometimes they hide behind the foreground objects (like the big tent). Try using the 'grab' option to see if they're hiding there.

2) If you've been playing lots of levels without playing with the kittens, they do get a bit depressed (every kitten has a mood ranking) and they can wander off! But don't worry the aliens will catch them again later on and you can re-rescue them. If this starts happening then it's not uncommon to have to rescue three kittens per trap!

I hope it's one of these two cases, technically the kittens are saved in the same file as the level progress so there shouldn't be a way to lose them.

The kittens you rescue are random btw, so if replaying a couple of levels due to a crash, you may well have rescued different kittens, but again your lost kittens should return ... please let me know ... I'm worried for them now : )

As for the crash, it was developed on a 4th iPod (iOS5) like yours, so it shouldn't be down to any compatibility issues. I'll of course retest paying special attention to the shop. Please let me know if it re-occurs or if there was a particular sequence leading up to the crash.

Again, thanks for the purchase & feedback!

@metalcasket

Wow, thank you! I've been a bit down today with the lack of reviews. I still reckon the game will sink without a trace, but your comments have really helped cheer me up.

You know, I didn't really expect a Sabbath quoting gamer called metalcasket to like the game ; )

Thanks again, if it's okay I'd love to add a customer quote to my site using some of your kind words?

@LordGek

Ha, it is very cute, so fair enough ... however ... I do have a space shooter coming out soon and it does have a similar scoring approach + Game Centre ... so something for everyone.

As I said in my OP, I'll add Kitten Sanctuary's trophies to Game Centre as an update, but will also take a look at high score tables for the game, thanks for your comments on this : )

Cheers,
George
Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Last edited by Sanuku; 03-27-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Pixels View Post
@SkyMuffin
@LordGek

Ha, it is very cute, so fair enough ... however ... I do have a space shooter coming out soon and it does have a similar scoring approach + Game Centre ... so something for everyone.

As I said in my OP, I'll add Kitten Sanctuary's trophies to Game Centre as an update, but will also take a look at high score tables for the game, thanks for your comments on this : )
GC is nice but as long as there is a good local leaderboard system, I'm content.