★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
#11
Just did a quick calculation, and since the previous iOS release was around Wesnoth 1.8, and now they're into 1.10.4, you can check the official changelog for a complete list of changes.
(*hint, there's 1693 lines of itemized changes and bug fixes)

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
11-12-2012, 09:20 AM
#12
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,299
Yeah, I just talked to the Dev... sounded like Kyle abandoned this project, and moved on to the other Card Game.

Since I don't want to jump right away, I'll wait and see if this one lasts on the Istore.

ooh and that is one big list of fixes and changes.. lol

11-12-2012, 09:47 AM
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthjes View Post
This version is based on the latest Wesnoth version while the other game hasn't been updated for 2 years. I'm not sure about the changes done during this time (you might want to look at the changelog from the last two years), but I think you'll get at least new artwork, more campaigns, and access to a huge amount of add-ons. It surely also fixes some bugs from the other game.

So it's not a new game, "just" a more up-to-date version of Wesnoth.
Sounds good enough for me then. Sold! Buying now,mainly for the updated features and ability to download community maps. I loved the original iOS release, so this is by no means a money issue, rather a "is it worth the double dip?" internal debate!


Thanks for the responses all!
11-12-2012, 10:05 AM
#14
Is $3.99 a promo deal or permanent price?
11-12-2012, 10:54 AM
#15
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,696
Is this a real time strategy game like age of empires? I've been waiting for an AoE substitute on iOS for a LONG time
11-12-2012, 11:20 AM
#16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Is this a real time strategy game like age of empires? I've been waiting for an AoE substitute on iOS for a LONG time
No, it's turn based. Nothing like AoE.
11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
#17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Is this a real time strategy game like age of empires? I've been waiting for an AoE substitute on iOS for a LONG time
No, it's not real time. It is based on Wesnoth, which is a very good turn based strategy. You can download and try the original for free on Mac/Linux/Win.
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
#18
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrica View Post
No, it's not real time. It is based on Wesnoth, which is a very good turn based strategy. You can download and try the original for free on Mac/Linux/Win.
Aww. I could never really get into turn based games unfortunately. Not really my style. Well, enjoy guys! Guess I'll just wait for a decent RTS to surface on iOS...LASW (no multiplayer, resources fo easy to get) and Starfront (damn pop limit and unbalanced races) never really captivated me like the AoE games did.
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
#19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Aww. I could never really get into turn based games unfortunately. Not really my style. Well, enjoy guys! Guess I'll just wait for a decent RTS to surface on iOS...LASW (no multiplayer, resources fo easy to get) and Starfront (damn pop limit and unbalanced races) never really captivated me like the AoE games did.
If you are looking for a real time strategy game for the iOS I recommend Autumn Dynasty. It's probably the best RTS on the platform.
11-13-2012, 11:28 AM
#20
I took the plunge on this and yes it is a full Wesnoth game. The touch controls work pretty good but some other aspects are really clunky, such as having to use the mini map to scroll around the battlefield and no zoom. Guess I've been spoiled with some of the other TBS games that have come out in the past couple of years specifically for iOS that this UI seems like a step back. That said the Wesnoth gameplay is there!

Current games: Ascension, Drive on Moscow, Panzer Corps
Best of: Rogue Touch, Dungeon Raid, KoDP, BotB
Waiting for: El Alamein, Galactic Keep, FTL
GC: Emos