★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Koi Pond

08-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Koi Pond

I didn't see another thread for this. Koi Pond been the Top Paid App ($0.99) in the store for a while now and I wanted to see who else has had fun with this! It's a simulated koi pond with about 5 different patterned koi fish. You can choose one of four pool floors, amount of lily pads, amount of fish (0 up to ~6), and a mixture of background nature sounds. When you run your finger across the water (screen), ripples spread from your fingertip. Koi swim away and return after a few moments. You can shake the iphone to add some fish food which the koi eat.

It's quite relaxing and well done. The koi wander in and out of the screen, the iphone screen edges act like boundaries for the surface ripples so they bounce quite realistically. The authors (Blimp Pilots) haven't put in interacting shadows but I imagine that it would be a pain to implement 3-d fish. It also doesn't seem to support multi-touch. But they've already updated their program once since release so I expect they'll keep making changes!

Anyone else bought it?
08-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I bought it just to see what the fuss is about. It's nice.

here's a video walkthough

Youtube link | Pop Up

08-22-2008, 04:32 PM
I didn't realize you could feed them...more fun!

It's also a good noise machine (limited numbers compared to ambiance and asleep).
08-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suneun View Post
I didn't see another thread for this. Koi Pond been the Top Paid App ($0.99) in the store for a while now and I wanted to see who else has had fun with this! It's a simulated koi pond with about 5 different patterned koi fish. You can choose one of four pool floors, amount of lily pads, amount of fish (0 up to ~6), and a mixture of background nature sounds. When you run your finger across the water (screen), ripples spread from your fingertip. Koi swim away and return after a few moments. You can shake the iphone to add some fish food which the koi eat.

It's quite relaxing and well done. The koi wander in and out of the screen, the iphone screen edges act like boundaries for the surface ripples so they bounce quite realistically. The authors (Blimp Pilots) haven't put in interacting shadows but I imagine that it would be a pain to implement 3-d fish. It also doesn't seem to support multi-touch. But they've already updated their program once since release so I expect they'll keep making changes!

Anyone else bought it?
I actually "play" this once a day. it's just nice to relax a bit.

Fact: If you stick your finger in a koi pond the fish will swim up and investigate

Hmm, wonder what happens if I hold my finger still while playing koi pond...
08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
I think that the graphics and physics are amazing. I wonder what's coming in the next update?
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
How is the music/sound effects?
02-03-2009, 07:50 PM
lol way to bump a months old thread

everything is very nice, just pdated with 2.3 i would get it
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monopoly View Post
lol way to bump a months old thread

everything is very nice, just pdated with 2.3 i would get it
Oh crap I meant to post this in the Distant shore thread. But thanks I was thinking about getting this.
02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
so... is it cool?

Last edited by pante; 02-03-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: wrong smile....
02-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I love Koi Pond. It never gets old for me. The new update is great and the new koi is lovely.