Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default NOKOGI Rider (bullet-hell)

Lite Version

Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

$4.99 ? At least theres a lite version

Money isnt the issue but the games only 2.1 meg ? Do love the retro graphics but think the price is very OTT

Edit - Well just tried the lite version. Actually plays very well, the controls are a bit odd, had it set to touch, when you touch the screen the ship moves just above your finger wherever you touch. So its not really 'relative touch' but at least the ship isnt under your finger.

The other control scheme 'slide' didnt seem to work, i was sliding my finger, tapping the screen, tilting, anything, weird.

Tempted to get this but the price i still think is quite high. But at the end of the day this seems to play well. Well worth trying the lite version

Last edited by psj3809; 03-21-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

So the graphics are decidedly low-res, and there's no Universal support, but I encourage bullet-hell fans to at least try the Lite version. There is definitely an excellent game here.

PROS

- iPhone 5 widescreen support
- solid 60 FPS
- multiple ships and difficulty levels
- scoring is based on maintaining a chain, similar to Bug Princess
- hyper laser (with reduced movement) by letting go of the screen for a second or so
- bullet cancelling (with laser)
- records an actual replay of your game (full version only)

CONS

- not Universal
- no Game Center
- controls are not 100% relative, but are still really tight and work well (no joystick)
- artwork not as interesting as more modern games
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Tried the lite, but the controls really aren't clicking with me... That lazer is a pain
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.x

Tried the lite and would buy the full as fast as i can...

IF it had full screen (now you see the bottom/time/batterie...ugly!),
relative controls (though it's not hidden under the finger) and maybe
it's just the lite version, but it does not multitask at all.

Too much pain for five bucks. What a pity !
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM
iPad mini

Why do people continue to release shmups without relative touch controls in this day and age. They're not getting my money for a game with control methods that went out of favor last decade.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
iPod Touch (1st Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Why do people continue to release shmups without relative touch controls in this day and age. They're not getting my money for a game with control methods that went out of favor last decade.
I enjoy playing Cave's iOS games with the 1:1 controls, but they were never designed to be played that way. Being able to zip from one side of the screen makes things a lot easier (while, for me at least, finger getting sweaty and catching meanwhile makes things more difficult *cough*)

Gridrunner is a nice case study because the developer originally designed his own (not 1:1) control scheme, then put in 1:1 controls because of user pressure and it kinda messes up the game.

Anyway Nokogi this game is trying something different -- a kind of compromise. I've only played a tiny bit but seems solid to me. Laser usage is like Uoratou from Dodonpachi Maximum but with a little more thought put into it.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos View Post
Anyway Nokogi this game is trying something different -- a kind of compromise.
Offset direct touch is not new. It was an improvement to direct touch controls that was popular a few years ago. Relative touch does not have to be 1:1, and in fact is best when adjustable. One way or another, if this works for you that's great and I would have no problem if it was included as an alternative option to the current standard, RT, but that's all it should be, like tilt, an alternative option for the few who prefer these inferior control methods.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

The controls arent 'that' bad as the ship stays in front of your finger but yeah i wish it was relative touch.

But when its 1:1 and the ship is below your finger in some games thats crazy. I dont get why still in the year 2013 there arent testers or people who look at rival games and think 'you know all these shooters have relative touch, we should add that as an option/default' etc.

Its like they created a game and didnt bother seeing what control methods work well.

I'm very anti-tilt games, i know 'some' games are good with tilt but still, if devs add another control option they then gain sales from that group.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM
iPod Touch (1st Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Offset direct touch is not new. It was an improvement to direct touch controls that was popular a few years ago. Relative touch does not have to be 1:1, and in fact is best when adjustable.
Ah ok I was lumping relative touch with 1:1. Carry on.

Anyway this game does seem fun. Respect to dev for doing his own thing also having the cojones to charge so much. The music's melody sounds familiar somehow but unless I actually place it I'm going to say I like it. Reminds me of Final Fantasy Legend for Gameboy.