Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM

This looks fantastic I can't wait to give it a spin.... The IAP could work if its not too intrusive.... Frontier are a great team who have made some brilliant games like RCT3 so I am going to definitely give this a chance....
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I've done two coasters on this app so far, and I have some opinions for those on the fence

First of all, on my 4th gen iPod, the graphics seem really blocky...I have got used to it, but it just seems like a bother to me, compared to the graphics of lostwinds

Secondly, this game does rely on cash a lot...you have to use it to buy plots to build rollercoasters, you use it to build the actual rollercoasters, and to buy the special tracks...another bother is that the moon (the sandbox area) costs 50000 cash, and that will take you a while to collect when you're progressing through the main game...Gems are used to buy special parts and the rush wait when you purchase plots for land

Finally, I actually kind of like the controls in this game. You use one finger to drag the camera around, you pinch to zoom, you rotate two fingers to rotate the camera. You tap the track to build. If you tap in the track, you can edit the height that the coaster goes up too, and you can drag the coaster out and around to lengthen/shorten the track length. When your building an new track, you can do pretty much the same thing. When you're riding the coasters, you can select numerous camera angles, going different angles of the ride or looking at the passengers.

The passengers all have specific goals that you have to complete to open the track out to the public and make money. At the beginning, you have 3 passengers, yet I'm unsure wether this increase or decreases later on in the game. At the beginning, these goals are also pretty easy to complete.

So in conclusion, I enjoy this game. It's pretty easy to go through the game without buying cash, and the cash is actually given to you pretty graciously. I haven't actually hit a pay-wall yet, so just keep that in mind. If you are a fan of rollercoaster games, or you can withstand in-app purchases, then I would recommend this game to you. This game should keep you occupied until Rollercoaster Tycoon releases onto the app store

I'll just say this. By the look of it, it seems that save games are shown by game centre accounts, and you also need an internet connection to play this game

Last edited by Hoggy110; 11-14-2012 at 04:54 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

If we could somehow manage to keep the topic erring on the side of just how much grinding the IAP encourages, rather than the expected bitchy complaining about the fact it exists, that'd be tremendously helpful.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the review Hoggy110 it sounds great I'm camping out on the App Store now waiting for the UK release....
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattll View Post
exactly first try and then cry
if it isnt worth the mb's delete it
Yeah... I just downloaded it, n will try this later
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I've just done a couple of coasters myself. It seems to limit you on what you can change, possibly for tutorial reasons at this point. It'll only let me edit the sections necessary to pass the missions, but the sandbox plot on the moon sounds hopeful. Money seems to be coming in at a steady pace, I'm earning more than I'm spending at the moment but I've yet to build an entire coaster from scratch or splash out on any special sections of track.

Assuming I don't hit a massive paywall, I'm gonna say this game is pretty damn cool. I like how it displays fear, nausia and g-forces while it's active and the camera options cover just about every angle I want. Plus... there's an eject button. This needs to become a staple feature in every rollercoaster game from here on.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Well, the game just doesn't cut it out. IAPs are fairly reasonably priced though. Just I couldn't get into the game after the second coaster. Nothing like RC Tycoon...and talking about that...good thing Atari is bringing it early next year!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
Well, the game just doesn't cut it out. IAPs are fairly reasonably priced though. Just I couldn't get into the game after the second coaster. Nothing like RC Tycoon...and talking about that...good thing Atari is bringing it early next year!
If you want nitty gritty micromanagement, I agree, there's none of that here whatsoever. Personally I just enjoy designing the coasters, and in that respect you can do pretty much anything, especially after unlocking the moon, which took me all of half an hour. Just created a coaster with triple interweaving loops!

Edit: And here it is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (310.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by MidianGTX; 11-14-2012 at 11:24 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
If you want nitty gritty micromanagement, I agree, there's none of that here whatsoever. Personally I just enjoy designing the coasters, and in that respect you can do pretty much anything, especially after unlocking the moon, which took me all of half an hour. Just created a coaster with triple interweaving loops!

Edit: And here it is!
Wow...you made $50,000 in just 30 mins? If true, I might just play a bit more to try the sandbox.

PS: How do you make that much money?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
Wow...you made $50,000 in just 30 mins? If true, I might just play a bit more to try the sandbox.

PS: How do you make that much money?
Not 30 mins total, I built four coasters in Australia first, making sure each one nets over $500 per run. The money seems to come in incredibly fast, every two to three minutes I had $4000 to collect from the globe menu and I already had about $20,000 after building my fourth coaster.