Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 AM

Default How to record my gameplay with best quality?

I need to record gameplay footage for making trailer. I tried reflectionapp with my new 13 rmbp and ipad3. The frame rate is unstable. Any other suggestion? Please help!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM

any one? HELP!!!~~~~
Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameVision View Post
any one? HELP!!!~~~~
I'm using a Capture card with the Ipad HDMI Cable.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/

It's a bit over the top (and not too cheap), but I can record footage from other devices as well (PS3 for example...)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM

I tried reflection again today. It turns out ok with frame rate. I guess my wifi was not that good last night.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGames View Post
I'm using a Capture card with the Ipad HDMI Cable.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/

It's a bit over the top (and not too cheap), but I can record footage from other devices as well (PS3 for example...)
Interesting. I tried a similiar setup (HDMI, capture card) and was blocked by HDCP protection from recording anything. I was using an AverMedia card instead of Black Magic, but I would assume the Black Magic respects HDCP as well. Since you also mention the PS3, it sounds like you found a workaround for this. I'm very interested to hear what that workaround is.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanis View Post
Interesting. I tried a similiar setup (HDMI, capture card) and was blocked by HDCP protection from recording anything. I was using an AverMedia card instead of Black Magic, but I would assume the Black Magic respects HDCP as well. Since you also mention the PS3, it sounds like you found a workaround for this. I'm very interested to hear what that workaround is.
For the Ps3, because I'm using a development kit, I have the ability to turn off DHCP.

For the IPad, only recorded games footage. Recording movies is very likely to be restricted, but to be honest, I didn't try.
I'll do a test to check.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameVision View Post
I need to record gameplay footage for making trailer. I tried reflectionapp with my new 13 rmbp and ipad3. The frame rate is unstable. Any other suggestion? Please help!
Try the Kamcord SDK (http://kamcord.com/documentation/). It lets you record video and audio from your game without any additional hardware, and it's totally free. If you use the "trailer resolution" setting, you should be able to record high-quality videos.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

If your looking for best quality possible, I would have to recommend getting a hardware capture device. Depending on how serious you are will depend on what device u use. TA uses the elgatos-game-capture-hd from what I read. I've just ordered an avid media game capture hd device, that allows you to capture video without being connected to a pc/Mac, by hooking up an external Storage source. I'll have it next week sometime and will give it a try and let u know the quality. (supposed to do 720p).

There are many other options a list of game capture devices depending on your budget and how serious your are. Also, if you can afford it, consider paying a professional to create a awesome trailer.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanis View Post
So, I actually just tried to capture from Netflix and looks like the BlackMagic card was able to bypass HDCP as I was able to record footage...
I then tried to record from Amazon Prime video and video was blank (still got audio).
No problems recording games.

And given that I'm using an Ipad 3, it's recorded at 1080p
Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 AM
iPhone 3GS

I may have to repurchase the adapter and try again (I returned it thinking it was useless for my purposes). I was planning on going the AirPlay route (with AirServer), but I'll have to take a closer look at video quality.

Glad to know that it worked for someone though.