★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: WORKS PROPERLY ON IPAD 2, NEW IPAD AND IPHONE 4S. DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY ON IPHONE 4, IPHONE 3GS, IPAD AND IPOD TOUCH 4G/5G.

Throw yourself headlong into drifts and jumps in a real rally with the official game of the FIA World Rally Championship!
Feel the speed round every corner and take control of a real WRC car on the official tracks.
With thrilling 3D graphics, the official cars and tracks are reproduced down to the last detail.

Do you have what it takes to become a WRC champion?
Race against your friends and find out right now: it's FREE!

- ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE
Choose an official crew
Race and win time-trial stages, Drift Battles and Jump Battles!
Power up your car with multipliers
Unlock other tracks and crews from the WRC
Compare scores with your friends in the Game Center

- MASTER ALL THE RALLIES AND ALL THE CARS
6 official tracks (Germany, Alsace, Sweden, Finland, Wales, Greece)
Mud, tarmac, dirt and ice surfaces
14 official WRC class crews
Official Citron, Ford, MINI and Volkswagen teams
Drive a preview of the official Volkswagen Polo R WRC test car!

- EASY TO PICK UP, HARD TO PUT DOWN
Immersive and fun
Precise digital and analog controls
Stay in control while skidding, drifting, counter-steering and jumping
Enjoy the incomparable 3D panoramas of the official rally tracks

Play on the TV via HDMI and show your friends what you're made of!

Download WRC: THE GAME, the official game of the FIA World Rally Championship, now!
09-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Saw this last night, gave it a try. Firstly for those interested it doesn't run on an iPod gen 4(it states the supported devices in the description, but being free I Thought I would try anyway). It runs fine on my wife's iPad 2 though. So far it's not bad, although I have a feeling IAPs are gonna kill this for me. You start with 3 of the 14 cars unlocked and one of the 4 rallies. From what I can see there are only 2 stages in each rally( at least that's the case in the first one), so for me it's bit light on content. What is there is very nice, the handling is pretty good with an arcade bias but not rediculous, the graphics a pretty good there is a lot of detail. I need to play a bit more to see how it goes, but as I said I think the IAPs are going to make this a bit of a grind. Worth a try for free though!

09-15-2012, 04:23 PM
This game on Unreal Engine!
09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Might pick it up anyway, but I ''s'pose I'd like to see a video of it in action. How 'bout it?
09-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Might pick it up anyway, but I ''s'pose I'd like to see a video of it in action. How 'bout it?
Never...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen14 View Post
This game on Unreal Engine!
...Downloading! Expect the usual as soon as I`m back from my first Race.
09-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Just realized that this is the dev doing the console and Vita versions out next month.
09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
The handling doesn't do it for me as a driving game.
The frame rate on iPad 3 (even though it is not using retina output) is not smooth, so it kills any flow there might otherwise be.
The steering is not very nice either - seems you cannot tighten your turn and even in the weirdly labelled "drift areas" it's impossible to get the tail out. Admittedly it's on tarmac so this might be better on dirt tracks but I'm not hopeful.
For me, the whole thing is too arcade-style.

IMO the best driving app (I won't call it a game) for iOS is Driving Speed: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/driving-speed-lite/id441000217?mt=8

It's a PC port originally written by one guy, but I think he has not had a decent enough take-up or response from iPad version to warrant spending any more time on it. So the reason I can't call it a game (yet) is that you get just 1 track and 3 cars.

But the feel of the cars is awesome - you can really feel the weight, have to take proper racing lines and can feel when you are on the limit. You need to give yourself time to slow down for the bends (braking for like 4 or 5 seconds after the longest straight) so it's definitely more on the "sim" side of life.

The transition to oversteer is also really convincing, so once you get used to the controls it's satisfying to drift around corners just a wee bit, on the edge of grip.

The AI (cars) are a bit crude but it would kick in real-time multiplayer.

Such a shame it seems we will never get the whole game because I would love the entire track collection on the iPad!

Give it a try - it's free

My gaming & gadget blog: http://hatenintendo.wordpress.com
09-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Game Impressions

Not as good as Collin McRae/WRC FIA 2010 World Rally Championship a few Years ago but still a look worth I guess.
09-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Those are bullshots in the app store. It is NOT retina res on the new iPad and it looks like total ass. Choppy frame rate, ugly pop in even with the short draw distance. And I love rally sport. Stick with Fish Labs excellent rally game, 2XL's great Trophy lite rally and Invicta's Race of Champions for much better playing experiences.

I have many PC games by Milestone and I like them very well... But they obviously do not have any experience in iOS development and this is total pants.
09-16-2012, 02:07 AM
This game is absolute trash. Its offensively ugly. Has barely any content. And you hit a pay wall within the first 5 minutes. Deleted this one fast.