Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM
actionrpg8000 actionrpg8000 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Thanks to the developers for the promising new update!
Interesting that I am quoting undeadcow's post, as I got to the thread by his signature suggestion. I give you an enormous amount of credit for leading me to discover the wonder of Knighturn and Kingturn.

Anyway, my question about Partia. When it first came out I read there were issues with the game speed. How is it after the new update?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 AM
undeadcow undeadcow is online now
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionrpg8000 View Post
...Anyway, my question about Partia. When it first came out I read there were issues with the game speed. How is it after the new update?
In my opinion the newer update adding a faster speed and single tap move/confirmation likely will still leave those apt to complain about the speed of a SRPG unsatisfied. The UI is a little quicker with single tap (you have to confirm everything still) and the enemy movement might be an estimated 50% faster. Sanuku's gameplay video in the first post accurately approximates what you can expect even after the update (things are faster now, but not that much imo). When you attack an enemy it shows stats to confirm, then a graphic of the attack, then health depleting. If you're a SRPG fan you might be used to this because Partia's dynamics don't seem uncommon for th genre, however "slow." Partia plays exactly like the legendary Fire Emblem series; it's basically Fire Emblem for iOS (and you never bear people lament Fire Emblem is too slow and methodical). Partia lacks some of the polish that Kingturn, which is a better starting place for iOS SRPGs, has (in Kingturn you can fast forward enemy movement, etc) but is worth it. Partia's retro graphic style works well for being slightly blurry on newer devices. From a developer that complains about only getting 600 sales in the app description I'm not sure how much future support there will be.

However, if you like strategy role playing games then you might not care as much about any of the above flaws. The combat is satisfying with an interesting political narrative (not unlike the Mangobile games or original Fire Emblem). On iOS Partia stands out to me as being one of the better indie SRPG games in a market that sees few SRPG releases and Partia deserves more attention. Check out the original post video and if you like what you see go for it; Partia is a steal for $3.99.

Last edited by undeadcow; 04-14-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 AM
actionrpg8000 actionrpg8000 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
In my opinion the newer update adding a faster speed and single tap move/confirmation likely will still leave those apt to complain about the speed of a SRPG unsatisfied. The UI is a little quicker with single tap (you have to confirm everything still) and the enemy movement might be an estimated 50% faster. Sanuku's gameplay video in the first post accurately approximates what you can expect even after the update (things are faster now, but not that much imo). When you attack an enemy it shows stats to confirm, then a graphic of the attack, then health depleting. If you're a SRPG fan you might be used to this because Partia's dynamics don't seem uncommon for th genre, however "slow." Partia plays exactly like the legendary Fire Emblem series; it's basically Fire Emblem for iOS (and you never bear people lament Fire Emblem is too slow and methodical). Partia lacks some of the polish that Kingturn, which is a better starting place for iOS SRPGs, has (in Kingturn you can fast forward enemy movement, etc) but is worth it. Partia's retro graphic style works well for being slightly blurry on newer devices. From a developer that complains about only getting 600 sales in the app description I'm not sure how much future support there will be.

However, if you like strategy role playing games then you might not care as much about any of the above flaws. The combat is satisfying with an interesting political narrative (not unlike the Mangobile games or original Fire Emblem). On iOS Partia stands out to me as being one of the better indie SRPG games in a market that sees few SRPG releases and Partia deserves more attention. Check out the original post video and if you like what you see go for it; Partia is a steal for $3.99.
Well if it plays at a similar speed as fire emblem, then that isn't a problem. The two gba fire emblem games are one of the reasons I am holding on to my daughter's pink DS lite even though she has outgrown it
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 AM
undeadcow undeadcow is online now
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionrpg8000 View Post
Well if it plays at a similar speed as fire emblem, then that isn't a problem. The two gba fire emblem games are one of the reasons I am holding on to my daughter's pink DS lite even though she has outgrown it
If you do download Partia I'll be curious to hear your impressions. You might be more familiar with Fire Emblem than me but Partia's similarities seem spot on. Definitely review the gameplay video. I'm surprised we don't see any "retro" Game Boy era games ported over (?); I'm sure a formal Fire Emblem iOS would do great.

You bring up a good point; I'll have to stick with buying my daughter gender neutral mobile gaming stuff in case confiscation is warranted.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 AM
actionrpg8000 actionrpg8000 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
If you do download Partia I'll be curious to hear your impressions. You might be more familiar with Fire Emblem than me but Partia's similarities seem spot on. Definitely review the gameplay video. I'm surprised we don't see any "retro" Game Boy era games ported over (?); I'm sure a formal Fire Emblem iOS would do great.

You bring up a good point; I'll have to stick with buying my daughter gender neutral mobile gaming stuff in case confiscation is warranted.
The only who gives me a hard time is my wife, who enjoys making comments about her 40 year husband playing with a pink child's toy. But is it my fault the game boy advance had so many great RPGs and SRPGs?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM
undeadcow undeadcow is online now
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionrpg8000 View Post
The only who gives me a hard time is my wife, who enjoys making comments about her 40 year husband playing with a pink child's toy. But is it my fault the game boy advance had so many great RPGs and SRPGs?
It's kind of a shame that mobile gaming has changed so much that there use to be plenty if great great RPGs like Fire Emblem avaliable but now we're offered physics puzzlers and freemium gimmicks. "They" don't make games like they use; expect for Kingturn and Partia and a few others that slip through the cracks (then get overlooked). It's a small miracle Partia, such as it is, even came out after a failed Kickstarted campaign.

Last edited by undeadcow; 04-14-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 AM
ludka33 ludka33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Default

So, I'm downloading this in the next couple days (when my FMA account hits that magic number). How're the current sales doing? I read 600 a month or so ago. I'm really hoping more people support this app. I mean, "ios games like Fire Emblem" is up there on google searches. You'd think this would get tons of support.

Anyway, looking forward to getting this game. Best of luck to the devs.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 AM
undeadcow undeadcow is online now
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,849
Default

I am surprised but excited to see a new update; hopefully Imago isn't giving up on iOS. I agree with Ludka33; it's surprising Partia doesn't get more attention.

New update:

Quote:
- Graphics Optimized for iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5!
- Arena now has 2 vs 2 and 2 vs 1 mode (PVP coming soon at 1.0.4)
- Game is now fully D-Pad controllable at Intermission (iCade support will be in at 1.0.4)
- You can heal units at Inn using Crowns and Potions
- Introducing 'horse rule' that increases attack power with distance traveled
- New unit type Ballista (Only at Stage 5 though)
-Minimum iOS version is now 4.3 meaning iPhone 3G support is discontinued.
To clarify in game graphics are much crisper but Partia is not 5G widescreen enabled.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 PM
BluClaymore BluClaymore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Default

I just beat the game. It was awesome! Everything was great but i was surprises when i finished because it felt so short, i was expecting more. But it it was still deff worth it. Cant wait for partia two! Trailer looks cool. In the trailer it didnt look like they were continuin with the story, felt like they just started a completely different story.... Unless thats his son 30 years later or something...cant wait!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:59 PM
ScotDamn ScotDamn is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pinellas, FL
Posts: 1,421
Default

I just purchased it last night and after playing for an hour, I find myself irritated by the slow attack animations. It gives off a very sluggish feel overall. Is this only on a 5s or is it a universal problem? I'm totally fine with the sketchy menus and confirmations. I really wanted to like this. I guess I'll give it more time. I'm not usually picky when it comes to graphics. But with this, I'd prefer stationary sprites, something similar to Wesnoth than what Partia is trying to be. This game deserves attention, but also deserves some love from the developer.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent