★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Explosion of retro games for the iPhone!

06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 55
Explosion of retro games for the iPhone!

I've been noticing an interesting trend with regards to iPhone games....a ton of very cool ports/remakes/emulation of retro games have been coming out. Taking a casual glance, one can see games such as Dig Dug, Pac-man, Ms. Pac-man, Frogger, Space Invaders, Galaga, Mine Runner (Lode-Runner), Missile Command, Centipede, Breakout, Vector Tanks (Battlezone), Bomberman, Archon, Pole Position, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, and countless others. We even have the possibility of a C64 'emulator' eventually being approved by Apple!

I think that this is great and I hope to see many more come out! Now, all we need is Tempest. =)

What do you think? What retro games would you like to see ported over to the iPhone? Or, what are your current favorite retro iPhone games? Or, do you know of any upcoming retro iPhone games?
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmlow View Post
I've been noticing an interesting trend with regards to iPhone games....a ton of very cool ports/remakes/emulation of retro games have been coming out. Taking a casual glance, one can see games such as Dig Dug, Pac-man, Ms. Pac-man, Frogger, Space Invaders, Galaga, Mine Runner (Lode-Runner), Missile Command, Centipede, Breakout, Vector Tanks (Battlezone), Bomberman, Archon, Pole Position, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, and countless others. We even have the possibility of a C64 'emulator' eventually being approved by Apple!

I think that this is great and I hope to see many more come out! Now, all we need is Tempest. =)

What do you think? What retro games would you like to see ported over to the iPhone? Or, what are your current favorite retro iPhone games? Or, do you know of any upcoming retro iPhone games?
I would die to play Turrican (1 and 2) on the iPhone.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..

06-24-2009, 03:39 AM
#3
Meh! I am all for reviving great game play concepts but I think they need to be updated and not just the straight port/clones we have seen so much on mobile phones. We are working on a re-imagining of 80s coin-ops in the form of Space Ark (www.strawdogstudios.com/games/spaceark) which takes the Arkonaut concept and updates it to 3D (XBLA at the moment but other formats in the future).

Was really disappointed by Arkanoid Live (but at the same time pleased they made so little effort to update it).

Dan Marchant - Biz Dev Bloke Strawdog Studios
Turbo Duck for iPhone/iPod Touch.
06-24-2009, 04:22 AM
#4
I for one am not liking this port the old days trend at all, rather see new stuff than get bored again after half an hour of nostalgic gaming
06-24-2009, 04:55 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceneshifter View Post
I for one am not liking this port the old days trend at all, rather see new stuff than get bored again after half an hour of nostalgic gaming
I don't understand your argument. You don't have to like the classics but you don't have to buy anything you don't want either. There are plenty of new games in the store. Perhaps it is just a poor choice of phrasing. I, however, am thrilled to see my old favorites again. I just checked my library and I counted 49 retro titles (not including a few pongs.) And I always seem to have a full page of 16 at any given time.
06-24-2009, 05:44 AM
#6
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Retro Games and remakes

If you like the retro style Old Arcade Feeling games you should Check out my latest 2 games Toy Raid and Swine Flu H1N1 Resistance.

These are both very big games with the Old Arcade style feel and similar in play to the old apple Ipod Parachute game and the apple 2 parachute game.

Some people think it's like Ganga Wars also.

But we had fun making these games so check em out.

These have upgrades and power ups and bosses which the originals didn't have.

John
06-24-2009, 05:59 AM
#7
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by your personal robot View Post
I would die to play Turrican (1 and 2) on the iPhone.
This. So much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceneshifter View Post
I for one am not liking this port the old days trend at all, rather see new stuff than get bored again after half an hour of nostalgic gaming
My lawn. Get off it. Now.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
06-24-2009, 01:50 PM
#8
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 358
Someone mentioned to the guys who are doing the Commodore 64 that they should do an Atari 2600 one (given the C64 app gets approved). To me that would be INSANE. I grew up on the 2600 and have been dying to play good ports of Joust, Pit Fall, Kaboom, etc. That would be my dream list.

(astrosaurus.com - My iPhone Games Blog)
(@astrosaurusblog - Twitter Account)
06-24-2009, 02:00 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 54
The C64 app was not approved.