★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Turn-based RPGs?

06-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Turn-based RPGs?

What are the best turn based RPGs out there? For some reason it seems a lot of developers are focusing on shoehorning action-RPGs onto the system, when turn based RPGs would work so much better.

I think the port of something like Zenonia was done fairly well, but the game itself is a very bad game, but it is given a free pass because it is on the iPhone. Zenonia was originally for more standard mobile phones in Korea, and it shows that it is a port of a standard mobile game, while the iPhone should be getting ports or games similar to those found on the DS/PSP or console systems such as the PS1/PS2/N64.

Turn based RPGs would be extremely easy to control, and could actually be deep, complete experiences.
06-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I still play Vay so I'll stick with that answer. Full console game ported to the iphone with new controls and updated graphics (though you can still use the old ones if you like)

06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalfiuss View Post
What are the best turn based RPGs out there? For some reason it seems a lot of developers are focusing on shoehorning action-RPGs onto the system, when turn based RPGs would work so much better.
+1

I can't wait to see Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star (hey Sega) Lunar, Grandia 1, or similar in my phone.
06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
The Quest (?)
06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Legend of Amon is in devlopement and it is a turn based RPG and still shocked no one mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer
06-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Legend of Amon is in devlopement and it is a turn based RPG and still shocked no one mentioned it.
It's not a turn based rpg. It's like diablo.
06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Send a message via MSN to K7A7O7S Send a message via Yahoo to K7A7O7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf224 View Post
It's not a turn based rpg. It's like diablo.
Actually they said they are making it turn based, claiming that it will help with bad frame rate, or something like that. But indeed it is turn based.
06-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Vay is the only turn-based RPG right now. I don't have it so I don't know much about it, but from the screenshots it seems that the graphics are really out of date. Extremely good storyline/music/combat might make up for it.
I'm anticipating an epic turn-based RPG (like Zenonia for the action genre) also.
06-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono View Post
chrono trigger
Quote:
chrono trigger
Quote:
chrono trigger
Quote:
chrono trigger
Quote:
chrono trigger
Quote:
chrono trigger
yes, please!

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
06-24-2009, 12:26 AM
damn...chrono sure did made alot of request for Chrono Trigger!

Nexx Studio - Indie Game Publisher - Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Dulp - Zig Zag Boom - Sidechain - Warship Solitaire - Bloom Box - Pig Shot - Glow Puzzle - The Idiot Test 3 - and more awesome games!