paying for an app, having it become a demo

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mek, Dec 2, 2008.

1. mek

mek Well-Known Member

#1 mek, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    Blacklist: (These developers have used a Bait and Switch tactic so Buyer Beware)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AroundMe:
    Developer:Tweakersoft
    Description
    They sold it and now it is free and you have to watch Google Ads as paying customer.

--------
    Kinwits
    Developer:Troutfly software
    Description: - Went free for a little while, then the dev "updated" the app and made the full version into a 10 level demo

--------
    PaklSound and PaklSound Deluxe.
    Developer: Pakl
    Description: I was so satisfied with PaklSounds, so I bought PaklSound Deluxe too.
    Unfortunately, in few weeks, the developer updated the standard version adding the Deluxe features. Practically, I had a double application on my iPhone and wasted my money for the Deluxe edition.

--------
    Rescue Angels
    Developer: xCube Labs.
    Description: Rescue Angels 60 originally came out with no warning that it was a demo....the 60 levels were fun, and worth 99 cents, but it essentially became a Demo advertising their 500 level app, with the same initial 60 levels, which makes me not want to purchase the full app

--------
    Space Monkey Developer: Glu
    Description: - went from $4 to $1 then went free but has ads
    Update: the Developer is currently correcting this, and once the update rolls through, if two people speak up and feel that the issue has been corrected, we can remove Space Monkey and Glu from this list

Code:
     Originally Posted by VegantTnT  View Post
    Looks like everyone's feedback paid off!

Glu has removed the ads from the game and placed this note on their itunes page for Space Monkey:

"<***NOTE TO USERS: We have heard your feedback loud and clear and we sincerely apologize for causing you any distress over the in-game ads in Space Monkey. When the monkey started screaming and throwing junk at us, we knew we had to get the cosmos back in order. For our existing customers who have previously bought the game or tried the free version, we will be removing the ads and updating Space Monkey with all the new features. We hope you will continue to provide feedback and enjoy future games from Glu. ***>"
    --------

Urban Tycoon:
    Developer: TouchSoft Mobile
    Description/Issue: Many people felt burned by the fact that the game, which is quite limited, does not match the description, all is said to be fixed with weekly updates, which have not occurred, there is mention of a version 2.0 which is 3d, but very little information is provided [BUYER BEWARE]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    same thing with me I bought rescue angels. But it could have been a lot worse:eek:

3. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yeah dude, that sucks. Same thing hapened to me with Rescue Angels... And Space Monkey for some people. It cost like $2 or 3 when it first came out and now it's free and ad supported... :\ it sucks :p

4. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    AroundMe is another example. They sold it and now it is free and you have to watch Google Ads as paying customer.

5. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yeah, you can tell why they do that. It's because they're not making enough money by charging $1 for it, so they figure they'll get more downloads if it's free and they include ads. It's gay, there needs to be an ad version and a $1 version w/o ads. :p

6. evanmav

evanmav Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    yeah taht really does suck. thats why i dont buy anything i just get free games. unless its from a big company like gamesloft or ea. it really is stupid for an app to become free and have ads and then for paying costumers to have to watch the ads. wat the company shoudl have done is made a free app tahts the same with ads and tell people to upgrade to the paid version if they dont want apps

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's really unfortunate that devs are punishing paying customers like this

Kinwits - Went free for a little while, then the dev "updated" the app and made the full version into a 10 level demo

Space Monkey - went from $4 to $1 then went free but has ads

8. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    What they should do is tell you if they are going to include ads in the update description then you can ignore it.. tho then your stuck with not being able to update all.. perhaps they should have an 'I choose to not update' option for these cases. you can always be notified of the next ones?

edit: I actually think this idea is great. Anyone agree? to have an ignore update option?

9. daniglue

daniglue Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I had a worse experience with PaklSound and PaklSound Deluxe.

I was so satisfied with PaklSounds, so I bought PaklSound Deluxe too.
    Unfortunately, in few weeks, the developer updated the standard version adding the Deluxe features. Practically, I had a double application on my iPhone and wasted my money for the Deluxe edition.

Really disappointed, even if I adore PaklSound.

10. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Interesting thought, and I agree.
    I update all my apps (even those that become demos or with adds) simply because I don't want to see a number 1 in the top right corner of my app store icon for the rest of my life...
    Ignore update would definitely solve that issue. So I'm with you on this one!

11. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I read ALL my update descriptions so when Kinwits updated into a demo I simply havent updated it and I gave them a negative review. If Apple are not controlling this then we as a community could create a Developer Blacklist on the site. Toucharcade has a strong community so this would certainly impact developer sales if they were on the blacklist.

12. mek

mek Well-Known Member

I agree with the blacklist idea
    we can use it as a way to curb bad developer behavior...cause they are essentially screwing consumers and giving the app store a bad name
    and although we may have a voice, other iphone users do not, although now they have the delete rate option, but that isn't the best solution to the problem

i will update this thread for those apps as listed

thanks

13. CrocStock

Sep 22, 2008
    Noone better buy from these developers, or ill savage you :p

14. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Developer blacklist idea is great!
    And make sure to add the developer Bootant to it!!!
    Although they haven't changed their app to a demo, their constant "updates" to keep them visible has made me delete all thier apps and want nothing to do with them any longer.

15. CrocStock

Sep 22, 2008
    The developer blacklist should be for developers who have either changed a paying app to a demo or to a free ad version. There should be another list for developer cautions in regards to ethics but this should be for more serious abuses.

16. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    I'm cool with that, but then I would appreciate 2 lists! :)

17. mek

mek Well-Known Member

yeah I agree that it should be for serious developer offenses, like robbing people of their money buy coercing them to buy a game, then turning it into a developer without prior notice

as for abusing the update or price change features
    i dont think they should be blacklisted per say
    but maybe a cautionary list

18. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #18 istopmotion, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
    Put Urban Tycoon up there. The dev promised weekly updates... and I've seen 1 update and that was before he promised weekly updates. It was supposed to turn into a great game, but he's just left it as crap.

Overall the game sucks but everyone was hoping for amazing 3D updates and stuff.

19. Modus

Modus Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    There's good reason to feel conned when someone turns a paid app into an advertising billboard, but in cases such as the calculator, as I understand it the developer has released a more advanced version and re-categorised Version 1.0 as a free application.

This is nothing new, and has been common practise for years with software developers. Retail games lose their value after a couple weeks; cars lose thousands when they roll off the shop floor. It's the price you pay for early adoption: Apple customers should be well familiar with by now.

It's really great that the App Store makes it easy for devs to update apps with bug fixes and new features, but you have to understand and bear in mind that no developer has liability beyond the promised function of the app you paid for.

If the calculator has bugs, then by all means complain. But if you're upset because you have to pay for a better calculator, and because the one you bought is now free ... well, think about it.

These guys spend hours, days, weeks writing software. The developers who add tonnes of features and functionality, and improve their app, they'll reap the rewards of only having to support one application. But the audience for some applications is limited, and if there's no profit in supporting something (beyond the obligations of keeping it bug free), then common sense says move on to a new product.

This is contentious I know, and it's different when it's your own money spent. But remember most of these guys are trying to make profit. No doubt Calculator 2.0 will be free in six months, and Calculator 3.0 will be on sale.

If anything's at fault, it's the limitations of App Store, as it doesn't cater for the tried and tested practise of paid updates between versions: The only way to release a new version, is to make people pay for it (or release an expansion application... easy enough, but very messy in the long run).

Just my 2 cents anyway.

-modus

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

This is new, and has not been common practice. If you have any examples of non-App Store software where updates turn previously paid-for software into demo-ware or ad-ware, I'd like to see them.

That is wrong. If you buy an app and a later update turns your previously functioning app, which you paid for, into cripple-ware, the developer certainly should be held liable for that. Telling people to just not update and keep the old version would not be an acceptable answer, because that breaks the "update all" functionality.

--Eric