Best Pinball Game on iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jibba, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I'm in the mood to purchase a quality pinball game for my iPhone (no iPad yet). I'm not particularly looking to spend top dollar but don't expect a great pinball game for $.99. I'm a total noob as far as pinball games go, so I don't really know what I'm looking for. I think the AC/DC pinball game got my attention and got me thinking about pinball but I don't know if that's any good, aside from having AC/DC blaring as the soundtrack. Also, it seems that many iOS pinball games have low initial prices but then charge for all the tables separately. This kind of annoys me but isn't a deal-killer for me. Lastly, I don't know if I want arcade style or realistic, but I'm a noob so feel free to give me all the basic advice you are willing to give (i.e., what in your opinion makes a pinball game good on iOS?). Thanks.

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Rob-o-bot is a Pinball sim. Only one table. No IAP for extra tables although if they made more I'd consider purchasing them.
    It's the only pinball game I have on iOS and it's on sale for $.99 at the moment. I'm not sure about other pinball games.

3. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    For arcade style Frogger pinball is pretty good. It's made by the people who did Metroid pinball for gameboy. I think there's a free lite version you can check out.

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot

It's one table done very well.

5. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    #5 Athos, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    I can vouch for all of these. If you don't have any nostalgia for either real-world pinball or old computer game pinball Zen is probably the best bet.

Collections

Pinball Arcade
    Recreations of real world tables. Starter table Tales of Arabian Nights is great.

Zen Pinball
    Fantasy tables including various Marvel comics licenses. The free starter table Sorcerer's Lair is excellent.

Age of Pinballs
    Tables are a little simple (and at the same time odd) compared to the above but still fun. Very nice graphics engine scratches on upper glass etc.

90s Computer Games Redone in 3D

Pinball Dreams HD
    I haven't played this much since Pinball Arcade came out but used to be my main iOS pin. Very charming old school game. Good music.

Tristan
    Pioneer game from early 90s. Sparse table actually a plus on small iPhone screen.

Stand-Alone Tables

Crystal Caliburn II
    Wonderful game one of the all time greats.

Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot
    Just released recently terrific game.

6. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

I love pinball games on OS. My fave is Pinball Arcade as it's pretty close to the real thing. I have a few others but as soon as I got the above they became redundant.

7. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Excellent recommendations, Crystal Caliburn is my favorite one. I would also vastly recommend the Last Gladiators tables, they're on the pricier side if you buy them all but their physics are spot on and theyre a blast to play.

8. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    Another good arcade style pinball is Small Ball Grand Canyon. Its very simple but the physics make it kind of addictive to play.

9. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    #9 DannyTheElite, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    Worth it? For 1 table....?
    £1.99? Really?

10. chubbypillow

chubbypillow Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    NY
    You should choose between Zen Pinball and Pinball Arcade. These are the popular ones. I have both of them on my iDevice but the IAPs are pricey for me :/

11. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    You should check out a game called peggle. It's a fun little pinball type game that has a nice little twist to it.

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Worth much more. The single most amazing pinball table for iOS. It's THAT good. Really. I haven't been playing anything else, for days.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I agree with Athos as well. There are TONS of tables in the store, some good, others not so much, but his suggestions are as good a start as any.

Zen pinball probably epitomizes arcade style, or fantasy style games. I personally think that Last Gladiators is probably the best sim (even though the flippers are impossibly long sometimes. But the feel is closest to what I remember from the days of actual tables. That said, all have their good points and bad, and like any genre, you have to try a number to figure what you like.

My current favorites are many of the zen tables, pinball dreams, war pinball (gameprom) collection, and the new Robot is pretty good (I think the flippers are a little "soft" for my taste). Have fun exploring. It's been a passion of mine since I joined TA!

14. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    I have some new favorite pinballs thanks to this thread. Zen Pinball and Last Gladiator are both very good.

15. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Would love to see an update to the Gladiator tables. Gameplay is OUTSTANDING, presentation not so much anymore. Sadly.

16. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    It looks pretty good on my ipad 2 in portrait mode. Actually both of those games are better on the ipad. Zen pinball still lags on my ipad touch and the graphics are almost too small to see.

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yes, an important aspect of the pinball tables that is not always brought up is what device you are using. I only use my iPad for pinball, I find all the screens too small for me on iPhone, but many people don't mind.

18. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    And there are still people out there not interested in owning an iPad.

Like me :)

19. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Pin tiki ball is awesome. Sure it isn't a tradition sort of pinball game, but I find traditional pinball games boring on iPad, though I love physical pinball machines.. Pin tiki ball is like a modernised pinball for touch devices. It has several types of balls, like if you hit a banana tree, a banana falls out which you can hit for more points, same with watermelons and coconuts, you smash them with the flipper while your main ball is still in play, you also can get a second lava ball to play 2 balls at once for extra challenge, so many things can happen.. Like if you hit a certain spot while the sundial is on diamond mode, a diamond falls out onto the table and you have to hit it with a flipper or even more points if you hit it with the ball.. The graphics are amazing, I still haven't discovered even instance in the game and I love it!

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I can only speak for myself, but most definitely.