★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Expando!!!

08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Expando!!!

Alright folks, there is a new game up in the app store and I'm suggesting you all get it. It's not available on the Itunes mobile store so you'll have to keep checking for it. If you are on a comp here's the link

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=288658144&mt=8

Expando is currently free for the first 10,000 people so get it while you can.

The game is basically Filler (http://www.kongregate.com/games/SimianLogic/filler) which some iphone improvements.

The screen starts out empty with some techno music in the background. a small red ball bounces around the screen, increasing in number as you clear levels.

Tap the screen to create a tiny smiley face that falls to the bottom. Tapping and holding creates the same smiley face but will start to expand until you raise your finger.

The red balls pop your smiley faces while they are expanding so be careful.

The goal of every level is to create enough smiley faces, and expand them enough to occupy 2/3's of the screen.

The iphone specific changes are all accelerometer based. Tilting the phone slightly effects the way the smiley falls, and those already created roll around.

The only issues I have with it is that the smiley is that while expanding a smiley my finger blocks off part of the screen. That is something in all touch screen games so I can't call that a con. However, there is NO auto save in this version. You leave the game on level 12 and you start back at level one! =/ I'm sure the update will come later but it gives me that same sting that I get while playing mote-m. I have to really evaluate how well i'm doing/ how important this call or text is.

You all know I don't like rating things with numbers, stars, thumbs up, etc. I'll tell you the good things, the bad things, and if I liked it. The rest is up to you.

But again, I do recommend everyone picks this up. It's free, polished, and quite fun.
08-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Interesting game, it held my attention for a while. I could've gone on forever, but my arm was getting tired. There's an easy way to cheat in the game. Simply create a ton of tiny balloons until the game slows down considerably and then you can easily create balloons without popping because everything's in slow-mo. Kind of funny, actually. I'm willing to bet that those in the top 10 are probably using this tactic..

Matt

08-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Interesting game, it held my attention for a while. I could've gone on forever, but my arm was getting tired. There's an easy way to cheat in the game. Simply create a ton of tiny balloons until the game slows down considerably and then you can easily create balloons without popping because everything's in slow-mo. Kind of funny, actually. I'm willing to bet that those in the top 10 are probably using this tactic..
So far i'm on level 17 taking a break to eat.

Since since each one counts towards your bonus you don't want to use too many.

Here's another cheat: Create as big a smiley as you can. Rotate the phone and you might hit a red bal dead on... KNOCKING IT OFF THE SCREEN!! They might come back but I'm not going to count 17 bouncing red balls.

Another tip is to make a few medium ones so they cover the bottom, rotate the phone upside down so they fall on the red balls. If they cover you have a ton of free room, if the red balls break through you still have an opening to create another medium one or to rotate and try again.
08-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I haven't noticed any red balls disappearing from play, but yeah, tilting the balloons around can help trap the red balls. I managed to get to level 30 before my arms got too sore and I decided to post a high score up and quit.

Matt
08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I haven't noticed any red balls disappearing from play, but yeah, tilting the balloons around can help trap the red balls. I managed to get to level 30 before my arms got too sore and I decided to post a high score up and quit.
You lucky sob!

I just updated my post about the game because I found a bug in the game...

It crashes after you complete level 30! Both times I have broken 10k points and when I finish 30 I tap for the next level and am greeted with my home screen =((

Have you got any father than 30? or is it just me?
08-23-2008, 04:04 PM
That's wild, I quit right at level 30.

Matt
08-27-2008, 10:41 PM
2.0!

2.0 is already out!

it's not on mobile Itunes or in the games section. You need to have it purchased and check for updates manually.

http://vegantnt.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/expando/

wow, so i wrote this as it was installing... you NEED to restart after installing. I was suffering from slowdown, music skips, and generally odd behave when I got a text.

Last edited by VeganTnT; 08-27-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added first impression
08-28-2008, 01:50 AM
I didn't really like the full version.

arn
08-28-2008, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
I didn't really like the full version.

arn
Anything in particular or was the game not really your cup of tea?

I really like it though I can also see how someone could get bored of it easily
08-28-2008, 02:07 AM
yeah, guess I just got bored of it. didn't really find it all that fun.

arn