★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Gremlin Empire

06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Gremlin Empire - iDracula Clone

[App Store Link, 2.99]

Quote:
Webcomics meets gaming! Take control as Bee, the rambunctious entrepreneur as she ventures into the cavernous homes of the gremlins that have stolen her treasure! See how long you can last against the nearly unlimited and tenacious gremlin horde armed only with a shotgun and a grin. Unique enemies await you, such as the Piker, a weak gremlin that normally you can simply shove out of your way by running into them. Be warned however that an enraged Piker isn't so easy to push aside. The long lived Bloomer, the tanks of the Gremlin Horde, will block your escape paths. The deadly Sapper, armed with a barrel of tnt and the IQ of pudding, INSANE pudding.

Upcoming Features
-
Progressive stages with boss fights. Explore and get to know the different Gremlin Empires and their quirky rulers, before blasting them into vapor.
New enemy units
New maps

Continue following the adventures of Bee! at www.beecomic.com, and visit www.jqsoftware.com/ge for news and updates on the game!
Looks cool

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon

Last edited by eggzbacon; 06-24-2009 at 02:23 PM.
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
looks ok, i kinda expect more graphicly from a 3$ game tho

06-24-2009, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't call this game an Idrac clone, I'd call both of them Robotron clones
I've played both though because I like robotron. This game doesn't have as many weapons or powerups as Idrac, but the enemies are more diverse and kinda entertaining.
It's faster paced too. Idrac moves and shoots slow.
06-24-2009, 05:10 PM
looks more like mario to me
06-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I can kind of see some Mario influence on the art

though the robotron clone bit was more a comment on the gameplay

Last edited by IncredibleIke; 06-24-2009 at 05:45 PM.
06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
hmm, it says it's being updated when I try to download it, anyone else getting that?
06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
not yet. be patient, try it again afterward
06-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Review: Gremlin Empire shows potential but incomplete

What do you get when you combine iDracula with the retro graphics of the past? You get Gremlin Empire, a fast-paced shooter thatís plays surprisingly smooth, but unfortunately, the game is sorely incomplete.

While I compare this to iDracula, it really would be a disservice to call this a clone. The game has a comic book feel to it so for those who didnít like iDracula, I think this game may eventually appeal to that audience. You play the protagonist Bee who is an entrepreneur out seeking the gremlins who stole her treasure.

In this current release, the game is solely a survival shooter which means youíll face a constant barrage of attacks with the objective of surviving as long as you can. As a survival shooter, one glaring omission is a local scoreboard to track scores. The game showcases what is possible, which I do like, but itís also very one dimensional right now.

Armed with only a shotgun, Bee must face several enemies.

Pikeróa weak gremlin that you can shoot or push out of your way
Enraged Pikeróa giant gremlin that looks like a bouncer
Bloomerótanks of the gremlin horde that will block you and prevent movement in a certain direction
Sapperóa gremlin armed with explosives

The game uses dual wheel controls: the left green wheel controls movement, and the right red wheel controls aim and shooting. The controls are pretty responsive, and contribute to the speed of the game. In same ways, they feel a little loose, but moving Bee around was relatively trouble free. A health bar is located at the top of the screen along with a timer and score.

Honestly, the current pure survival shooter mode which will quickly become repetitious for many since there are only so many hordes of gremlins and gremlin henchmen youíll can deal with. This only has one map and there are no power ups or perks to provide some variety.

I am encouraged to hear that about the addition of a campaign mode with bosses, additional maps and new enemies because then this will be a full-fledged game. The game has potential based on what Iíve seen so far with the cartoon-style presentation and the controls. Of course, I can only evaluate what is available. If you enjoy survival shooters, this may be of limited interest, and if you want a well-rounded game, then this one-dimensional offering wonít suit your tastes.

Albie Meter: 2 Stars (game has potential but itís incomplete in its current release and lacks even a local scoreboard)
06-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to jquave
Hello

Hello, I am the developer of the game. Just wanted to say I appreciate your review Albie, and for the most part, I agree with you! We actually wanted to release this early version to see how long Apple would take with our submissions, and how this IP would be received by the community. This is why we mention the future additions in the game's info. Already we have much more content in place, just during the time Apple has taken to review our initial submission. It is our understanding that a game is not "released" until you put out a free demo, there is just not enough people going to be interested in original IP from an indie developer without a sample of the game.

To give you a taste of what we're working on take a look at one of the bosses we're developing:

Other things we are adding:
Online and in-app scoreboard
Up to 4 more levels
Up to 4 bosses, and 8 mini-bosses
Several new enemies

Naturally, these updates will be free to anyone who already owns the current version of the game. And the current version on the App Store will become the Free version (with scoreboard added only).

Last edited by jquave; 06-25-2009 at 11:11 AM.
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquave View Post
Hello, I am the developer of the game. Just wanted to say I appreciate your review Albie, and for the most part, I agree with you! We actually wanted to release this early version to see how long Apple would take with our submissions, and how this IP would be received by the community. This is why we mention the future additions in the game's info. Already we have much more content in place, just during the time Apple has taken to review our initial submission. It is our understanding that a game is not "released" until you put out a free demo, there is just not enough people going to be interested in original IP from an indie developer without a sample of the game.

To give you a taste of what we're working on take a look at one of the bosses we're developing:

Other things we are adding:
Online and in-app scoreboard
Up to 4 more levels
Up to 4 bosses, and 8 mini-bosses
Several new enemies

Naturally, these updates will be free to anyone who already owns the current version of the game. And the current version on the App Store will become the Free version (with scoreboard added only).
Hey, welcome to the forum. I think there is some confusion about releasing a demo version. What some devs do is release a free lite version that provides a limited taste of the game to generate interest. Others will release a paid version that is more or less "complete" or fits in their vision of the game, followed by a free lite version later on. You may even want to consider changing the current version into a lite version now so that more people try this out and provide feedback.

I think what you have is a good start, and I like where you're going with this. While limiting for a paid version, the format and presentation are rather appealing. It just needs more.