★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

9 Iron Ninja $1.99 -> FREE for limited time

11-29-2012, 08:25 PM
9 Iron Ninja $1.99 -> Now FREE to Play

UPDATE: 9 Iron Ninja is now a Free to Play game with an IAP to unlock the full game, giving everyone a chance to try before they buy. It was previously paid-only.

The only limitations to the free version are that it will not save your progress, so you have to play a round in one sitting, Game Center is only in the full version, and some of the achievements and costumes/trophies are locked.

Thank you so much for trying our new game!!!!

=================

It's a relaxing, zen-like, 2D golfing game with randomly generated fairways where your goal is to get a high score by completing each hole in the fewest shots possible. You can also earn Stars and Achievements. Stars can be used to get fun costumes and trophies for your Ninja.

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/9-iron-ninja/id574000131?ls=1&mt=8

Last edited by selticesystems; 12-11-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Changed from paid-only app to free to play + upgrade.
11-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Looks a little like my favorite ios golf game Super Stickman Golf... So I'll definitely give this a try.

11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Wow this does look sweet. Thanks for the freebie.
11-30-2012, 09:23 AM

11-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I played a little of this today and it has potential but I just couldn't get a good handle on setting the power. So I'll need a lot of trial and error with this game. It's not as good as Super Stick Man Golf... but on the plus it is randomly generated levels so if you can figure out that power meter then it could be somewhat endless fun.
11-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
I played a little of this today and it has potential but I just couldn't get a good handle on setting the power. So I'll need a lot of trial and error with this game. It's not as good as Super Stick Man Golf... but on the plus it is randomly generated levels so if you can figure out that power meter then it could be somewhat endless fun.
Thanks for giving it a try. It is very different from Stick Man Golf, yes. I wasn't really aiming to create a game like that, so this is actually great news

I had a feeling this it being a 2D golf game would result in comparisons, but it is different, and I really appreciate you giving it a fair shot. I think once you get used to the hold-down-and-release power control, the game becomes quite addictive.

The goal of this game was to be the "endless runner" of golf games - minus the running of course, rather than a puzzle platformer.

I appreciate your time and feedback, and thanks for coming back to your post and updating, that's awesome!
11-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by selticesystems View Post
The goal of this game was to be the "endless runner" of golf games - minus the running of course, rather than a puzzle platformer.
Oh yeah I get that. That endless random level deal is the main appeal of it. It's similar in presentation to Super Stickman Golf... yet a different kind of game.

I've played TONS of golf games in my life (since Access Software's "Links" on an intel 8088 powered pc with dos)... so I'm no stranger to power meters. It just wasn't easy figuring out what kind of distance I would get at each power level and the angle of the drive.

I'm going to give it more time and see if I can adapt... but maybe a future thought is to put in a target marker that puts a target line on the power meter. You could add wind to force some thought into the process so it wouldn't be too easy. To keep the main game pure it could be even a separate "target assist" mode.

But like I said, I'm not giving up on the game. It appeals to me greatly... though, there's only so much I can do to guess the aiming. I hope I can get a handle on it and start landing some hole in ones like SSG.
11-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
It just wasn't easy figuring out what kind of distance I would get at each power level and the angle of the drive.
That makes sense. Yes, you will have to get a feel for it, and you definitely should. After playing it so much myself in testing, I have become pretty good and have no problem figuring out how hard to swing, so it is possible.

It's part of the learning curve I guess. I imagine someone who plays other golf games a lot will take longer to get used to it because of muscle memory from other games. (possibly)

Interestingly, the trees only exist because I (and my testers) got so good at the game that it became necessary to add a new random obstacle that would keep it difficult no matter how good you became. After adding the trees one of my testers suggested a "chainsaw" power-up next to the backspin
11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah the trees were a nice touch. I like that you can go under the tops of the trees rather than them just being a full on obstacle. So you aren't just stuck going backwards before you can move forwards.

Not a lot of games get saved to my regular game folders on my iPhone (I'm now at over 5GB of free space on my 16GB 4S)... so if anything that should say how interested I am in this that it didn't just get backlogged to my library of games in iTunes on my PC. Still my small group of games is around 90 games deep but that's down from several hundred games I used to have on there.
11-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I know the feeling of game overload. I used to have too many to count, but then in a syncing snafu I lost just about everything, and now I just keep games that spark the most interest. Most get a download, a play, and a delete. I appreciate that you like our game, and hope you find the opportunity to play more in the future.