★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dj Player 44.99->Free

11-30-2012, 03:40 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,506
Dj Player 44.99->Free

Don't know if this is any good; not really familiar woth DJ apps, and the file size is tiny. Still, it's been out since 2010, and the lowest price it's ever been is 14.99...or17.99, I forgot. Supports midi input and midi mapping. There's also a free companion app by the same company, just search the company name.

11-30-2012, 05:07 AM
#2
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: a[V-O-I-D]
Posts: 14,104
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Thanks for the post, but has anyone else who's grabbed this had a problem with the app loading your music library? Right now, I've got around 900 songs on my iPod, and the app only read 12 of them... =o/

I even kept it open while I was sleeping to see if it just needed time to 'load' tracks, but when I got up, I still only had 12 songs available from my library. =o/

11-30-2012, 05:31 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Thanks for the post, but has anyone else who's grabbed this had a problem with the app loading your music library? Right now, I've got around 900 songs on my iPod, and the app only read 12 of them... =o/

I even kept it open while I was sleeping to see if it just needed time to 'load' tracks, but when I got up, I still only had 12 songs available from my library. =o/
Not to be simplistic, but have you checked if there is anything...different about those 12 songs? More complete metadata? Located in a different folder? In (or not in) a playlist? Bitrate? Just throwing out some stuff to see if anything might stick.

Last edited by Greyskull; 11-30-2012 at 06:30 AM.
11-30-2012, 05:34 AM
#4
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: a[V-O-I-D]
Posts: 14,104
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Not to be simplistic, but have you checked of there is anything...different about those 12 songs? More complete metadata? Located in a different folder? In (or not in) a playlist? Bitrate? Just throwing out some stuff to see if anything might stick.
Very sure. I rip all my files from cd in the same way, with the same program, with the same tagging, at the same bitrate, and have no playlists. =o/

Guess I could also add that I only have full albums on my iPod, and that the 12 songs seem to be pulled at random from my files...
11-30-2012, 05:35 AM
#5
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,755
From $45 to free? Did they really think they'd get sales with that kind of price tag?
11-30-2012, 05:40 AM
#6
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: a[V-O-I-D]
Posts: 14,104
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
From $45 to free? Did they really think they'd get sales with that kind of price tag?
Considering it was released in 2009, and this is the first time it's dropped under $15, along with the amount of reviews for it in the AppStore... I'm guessing they're doing just fine. The crazy amount of updates, and pure professional and multiuse features they have that make it one of the best virtual dj programs I've seen yet (aside from my library issues)...

I wouldn't have felt ripped off in the slightest if I bought this. Especially if I still had my old tables...
11-30-2012, 05:45 AM
#7
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Considering it was released in 2009, and this is the first time it's dropped under $15, along with the amount of reviews for it in the AppStore... I'm guessing they're doing just fine. The crazy amount of updates, and pure professional and multiuse features they have that make it one of the best virtual dj programs I've seen yet (aside from my library issues)...

I wouldn't have felt ripped off in the slightest if I bought this. Especially if I still had my old tables...
Still, if one has that kind of money to burn wouldn't a good DJ program for PC be a better option? (Not criticizing the fact that you wouldn't feel ripped off) Guess I'm just surprised that anyone would pay nearly $50 for a phone app, much less that that price was/is financially viable on the race-to-the-bottom AppStore.

Last edited by JBRUU; 11-30-2012 at 05:51 AM.
11-30-2012, 05:52 AM
#8
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: a[V-O-I-D]
Posts: 14,104
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Still, if one has that kind of money to burn wouldn't a good DJ program for PC be a better option? Guess I'm just surprised that anyone would pay nearly $50 lfor a phone app (though TomTom is $50, but that's a GPS)
Guess it depends on what you need it for and what your setup is. I know plenty of DJs who have purchased iPads because of programs available and being fed up with their laptops, as well as DJs who ditched their iPads for laptops... All comes down to preference, but having a windows based laptop limits you for sure... I know I haven't seen anything that comes close to this for windows for any sort of reasonable price... While my DJ friends with Mac laptops seem to be rolling in high performance programs, most of which are a fraction of the price of similar programs on the PC...

=o/

Sure we could debate it for some time... Hell, I could debate it with myself for hours... =oP
11-30-2012, 06:32 AM
#9
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
From $45 to free? Did they really think they'd get sales with that kind of price tag?
Hey...it's been out since 2010, with a few sales. Usually to 32.99 or so, once to 17.99. This isn't a "release at 999$, drop it to days later to free" thing.
11-30-2012, 06:37 AM
#10
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Still, if one has that kind of money to burn wouldn't a good DJ program for PC be a better option? (Not criticizing the fact that you wouldn't feel ripped off) Guess I'm just surprised that anyone would pay nearly $50 for a phone app, much less that that price was/is financially viable on the race-to-the-bottom AppStore.
Let's say a DJ is having a house party. Might be easier to bring along the ipod/ipad than the laptop. A crate of vinyl in your pants! (yeah, I know Traktor metadata isn't for the non-digital turntable DJ, but...ya get the point)

Last edited by Greyskull; 11-30-2012 at 08:54 AM.