Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Game Center records your top combined score of each stage (while you can't simply replay any individual encounter, you are free to replay any entire stage).

Here's my review from the upcoming thread:

I had the honor of getting a sneak peek of the game and it is a blast!

At first it might be easy to think you're dealing with a blatant Runespell clone, I mean they both are based on attacking via poker hands while receiving damage from opponents striking back at fixed intervals, the actual gameplay of the two are pretty different.

In Poker Knight, you're playing a mean game of Fantasy Texas Hold'em. You are dealt 2 cards into your hand and then have 8 cards up top to choose from to make your ideal hand. Create a valid poker hand and all of the cards actively involved in that Poker Ranking (like in a hand of "K, K, 9, 10, K, 4" only the 3 Ks will count against your opponent) will fire off like little card shurikens at your opponent. The damage these cards do is based on both the individual card rankings (an Ace does a lot more damage than a Two) and the Poker Ranking they were used in (sure both "2 Pair" and "4 of a Kind" use 4 cards, each card in a "4 of a Kind" is going to do a shoot load more damage).

While the above is enough to make a cute take on High Fantasy Battle Poker, I love this game's deep card counting strategic layer! Once a hand is created the active cards are fired off at the baddy and then the remaining cards are burned from right to left to get the player back down to 2 cards (if you used more than 3 cards in your last hand, new cards are dealt to fill in for the initial 2 cards of your hand you can never choose yourself). So if you think you can just burn some useless cards with a "High Card" hand, only the highest card is fired off and the remaining 4 will remain left behind with the 2 furthest right cards get burned damaging you based on their value (again an Ace is much more nasty to leave behind than a Two). So unless you want to eat a bunch of cards you really need to figure out how to use all of your deck of cards effectively (paying as much attention as you can to which cards have already been played from this deck).

On top of this sort of battle vs. yourself, there are these opponents that will chime in every couple of hands to damage and tweak your nose. Like a Goblin who will steal valuable cards or a Mage that loves to curse random cards in your hand (cursed cards don't actually damage your opponent when fired off and, as long as there are cursed cards in your hand, any damage you take is doubled).

Each stage plays out a bit like Sword and Poker with a map of a trail through the land with a series of encounters leading up to the stage's big end boss encounter. Once you clear a stage your overall performance in that stage is rated 1-5 stars based on your combined score as well how quickly you complete the individual levels of the stage.

5/5

P.S. At the start and end of each stage you get a bit of a cheesy story to tie all of this together.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

This looks so cool. Can't wait!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Looks good, but is there voice acting?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambo12 View Post
Looks good, but is there voice acting?
Nope, just text. I can only assume the lack of voice over keeps the file size down and makes it a lot easier to port to other languages. The developers are Brazilian, I think, so I can only assume this will, at the very least, will get a Portuguese port as well.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
At first it might be easy to think you're dealing with a blatant Runespell
Speaking of which, they should really port Runespell to iOS. The gameplay and controls are a perfect match, and the graphics weren't all that intensive.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

The moment I started walking through the first map, I knew this looked awfully familiar; much of the game's design and visual style is lifted pretty much directly from the Square Enix/Popcap title Gyromancer. The central concept is different, however, in that Gyromancer's battles are a combination of match-3 and Pokemon, while Poker Knight's battles are, well, based around making poker hands. Both work much the same way, though, in that they revolve around you taking all the actions with the occasional interjection of a hostile spell or ability, rather than directly competing against an opponent who is doing the same thing as you (be that matching gems or laying down poker hands).

The major problem here is that while Gyromancer's combat system was designed alongside the rest of that game, in this case Poker Knight's card combat has basically been shoehorned into another company's content, and feels a bit tacked on as a result. I really want to like this game, and the level of polish in terms of artwork and music is unquestionably very high, but much like Devil's Attorney, the actual gameplay mechanics are very, very shallow and basic, and that aspect doesn't come anywhere close to living up to the expectations set by the rest of the presentation.

For comparison (Poker Knight being the first image in each set), the area maps:

Conversations (hell, the main character is even posed almost identically, and both feature a golden "orb" at the end of each line of dialogue):

Combat (where the key difference lies):

Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyra View Post
That'll be MINE!

It was only a question of time for you to show up, hun...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Hi there,

We really hope you enjoy the game.

To answer some of your questions:

IAP - just for the impatience

Voice Acting - We'd love to include it, but as LordGek said it would increase the app's size too much (and we are planning to localize it for all languages we can, it's already in English, Chinese and our native language Portuguese)

Coming soon - iCloud, save slots, gameplay+, iPhone5 compatibility

Suggestions for updates, please contact me! pokerknight.instantgames.com.br/contact.php
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM
iPhone 4

Hey Vovin, what do you mean?

Sadly Gyromancer isjust via download gettable,so I have never played it. Hmmm...what about an IOS release for that title?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

This seems good, sorta reminds me of Puzzle Quest.