Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Needing a studying/gaming device: iPad 2 or iPad Mini?

I started high school today and I want to get an iPad to take notes, use keynotes, pages and whatnot. Now I can't buy iPad 4. Well I can afford it, but I do not want to use 470 on it, I have other expenses as well. So now I have a choice between the iPad mini and the iPad 2. Which should I go for? It'd be awesome if you could throw a whole list of pros and cons for both devices, but I guess a short answer will do as well. Also take into consideration that I do wanna use it as a gaming device from time to time(mostly play on my Xbox though). I'd play games like the Modern Combat series on it. Which device lags more when playin it? I have an iPod 4G so I'm used to dealing with lag so I don't need to get the newest iPad 4, but from those two, which is faster and more suitable for studying?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM

They're almost the same machine.
Look up the specs and you'll see how similar they are. There is a theory that the mini may be supported longer for gaming. Unless iOS 7 introduces the ability to exclude devices from downloading on different grounds than the current iOS I'm not sure how the mini would be supported longer.
I'm sure alot of people will suggest the mini for gaming.
I'd suggest the 2 for business and school given the extra screen size. I use a 2 for work and it's pretty handy.
I think it'll come down to preference. Portability or extra screen size?
That's pretty much the question your asking. Go with whatever appeals more to you.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

They're basically the same. I love the Mini though. The full sized iPads seem too big now that I've used the Mini. As the person above said, it all comes down to bigger screen or more portability. I'd go with the Mini though. The size is better for gaming (imo), and its easier to if in your backpack / carry around (although a full sized iPad isn't hard at all to carry around or put in a backpack). But it really all comes down to preference.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'd go with the iPad 2. You know those crappy keyboards and computer mice you can get? They "work", but they're more novelty than function? That's what the iPad Mini is. Other than a negligible amount of extra portability, it's mostly negatives. If you're buying it for studying you'll be using the keyboard a lot and probably visiting websites that aren't really catered for mobile devices, which means finicky little buttons and links that'll probably make you grateful for the extra screen space.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I use my ipad2 everyday for work/study and occasionally some gaming. I prefer it to laptops as its doesnt add to much weight to the mountain of books I have to lug around. Obviously it's showing its age in terms of some of the more powerful titles but in terms of study it's great.

I use a stylus to annotate over PDFs,Paper for exam revision and Evernote for lectures. I don't use an external keyboard but I understand why people don't like using the on screen keyboard. Personally I just put the time in using the on screen keyboard and now I'm used to it so it works fine.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

For typing ipad 2 is much better cause it can be used by two hands fairly easily. Probably the most important factor for notes.

For stylus ditto.

For portability ipad mini.

For gaming, maybe ipad mini cause the screen looks better cause it is smaller with the same resolution.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I'd go iPad mini. The device is newer so apple have to support it longer.
Slightly off topic , are the apple work apps (keynote , pages ) any good?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I'd go with the iPad 2. You know those crappy keyboards and computer mice you can get? They "work", but they're more novelty than function? That's what the iPad Mini is. Other than a negligible amount of extra portability, it's mostly negatives. If you're buying it for studying you'll be using the keyboard a lot and probably visiting websites that aren't really catered for mobile devices, which means finicky little buttons and links that'll probably make you grateful for the extra screen space.
I thoroughly disagree -- in fact, I'd venture to say that you don't know what you are talking about. I do a ton of copywriting on my iPad Mini, using the Logitech keyboard cover. Took me all of an hour to get used to the size and feel of it, and by now I type as fast and accurately as I did on my iPad 2 with the same keyboard.

More to the point, anyone who thinks than the weight difference is a "negligible" advantage has simply not carried an iPad Mini around -- or used it as a reading device, where it totally demolishes the iPad 2.

Unless there is a specific reason why you want a 10 inch screen, I would say go with the Mini. As far as I'm concerned, there simply is no comparison.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
I'd go iPad mini. The device is newer so apple have to support it longer.
Slightly off topic , are the apple work apps (keynote , pages ) any good?
Haven't used Keynote on my iPad, but on my Mac it's way better than PowerPoint. I use Pages daily on my Mini, and it's a decent text editor, but on iOS it's not a full-fledged Word replacement (especially when it comes to formatting documents).
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I thoroughly disagree -- in fact, I'd venture to say that you don't know what you are talking about. I do a ton of copywriting on my iPad Mini, using the Logitech keyboard cover. Took me all of an hour to get used to the size and feel of it, and by now I type as fast and accurately as I did on my iPad 2 with the same keyboard.

More to the point, anyone who thinks than the weight difference is a "negligible" advantage has simply not carried an iPad Mini around -- or used it as a reading device, where it totally demolishes the iPad 2.

Unless there is a specific reason why you want a 10 inch screen, I would say go with the Mini. As far as I'm concerned, there simply is no comparison.
Lies. My post was correct. Get muscles.