★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: DeadlySpace v1.2 Up on iTunes

08-23-2008, 04:40 PM
DeadlySpace v1.2 Up on iTunes

DeadlySpace v1.2 is now up on iTunes.

DeadlySpace is a fast-paced Arcade Action RPG game that brings back the classic fun of dodge and shoot to your iPhone or iPod touch. Pilot 4 different starships and choose from six powerful weapons as you struggle to survive. Grow your starship's experience level and raise your skills. How long can you survive the deadly space? Keep track of your score and compete with your friends.

- 4 Different Starships to pilot
- New enemies to battle
- Sound Effects
- High Scores (Keep track of your score and compete with your friends)
- Lots of bug fixes

You can checkout all the info on the game and a GAMEPLAY video at:

Price also dropped to $2.99.

Let me know what you guys think.
08-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Purchased it yesterday, and should have a review up soon. I've been waiting for sound effects to be put in, as the game didn't seem complete with its initial release.

08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
This is pretty fun, keep at it. I really appreciate all the depth you're trying to add to it (different ships, exp points, upgrades). I really think it needs more work though.

Considering the orientation of the screen your already fighting an uphill battle. All the shmups i've ever played scroll the screen in the direction of the longest points of orientation, so you have more time to see and react to enemies coming at you. Think about making the gameplay fit to the unusual orientation of the screen. Enemies attacking from the sides perhaps, and weapons that fire left and right instead of just up.

I'm not sure if it's just me but upgrading my weapons didn't seem to make much of a difference, and weapon balance in general doesn't make much sense. The short range 360 blast should probably do way more damage since you risk hitting something just to use it in the first place. The big laser should also do more damage and be a charge weapon, so the longer you hold the button in it builds its damage output and power consumption before firing. I found myself only using the primary gun weapon on my play through, it seemed to be the only one that was really effective.

Not that you should be taking directly from other games, but i suggest looking at some of the classic scrolling space shooters for inspiration and tips on weapon balance. R-Type, Gradius, Raiden.

As it stands you have the strongest offering in the genre that's on the app store. Keep building it up.