Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidgoku123 View Post
ipod touch has a 1ghz processor which is 3 times to that of psp or ps2 and it has a better gpu and 4 times the ram.as far as pixels go ps2 renders the game on 21 inch screen compared to ipod 4g's 3.5 inch,you do the math.
The ps2 hardware is way more powerful than an ARM RISC processor designed to consume low power for use in portable devices
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidgoku123 View Post
ipod touch has a 1ghz processor which is 3 times to that of psp or ps2 and it has a better gpu and 4 times the ram.as far as pixels go ps2 renders the game on 21 inch screen compared to ipod 4g's 3.5 inch,you do the math.
I did. The PS2's resolution was FAR lower than the iPod 4's. Moreover it's a dedicated game console, it has no OS to run.

Just ask a developer which is more powerful.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Moreover it's a dedicated game console, it has no OS to run.
Not true. The PS2 has an OS to run or it would throw up a black screen and not let you play dvd's or do other tasks. PSP has a pretty bloated OS. But you are right about the PS2 rendering at a much much lower resolution.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Not true. The PS2 has an OS to run or it would throw up a black screen and not let you play dvd's or do other tasks. PSP has a pretty bloated OS. But you are right about the PS2 rendering at a much much lower resolution.
Technically you're correct.

But it isn't running an OS like iOS or Windows or Android. It doesn't have multitasking capabilities or anything else that commonly associated with an operating system.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
But it isn't running an OS like iOS or Windows or Android. It doesn't have multitasking capabilities or anything else that commonly associated with an operating system.
So maybe a better comparison would be Xbox1 as it ran a hybrid version of Windows XP/NT and specs out well below my 4S and below the iPodTouch 4th gen as well (probably 3rd gen too, though I haven't compared stats). Xbox ran VC really well. Better than PS2. It's amazing to tech spec compare devices. Then again the iPhone out specs my old netbook with a 1.6GHz single core Atom processor, cheap intel graphics with the only redeaming feature being my 1.5gb of ram. I can play GTA:VC on it in higher resolution through an external monitor than my iphone.

It would be nice to get some kind of app or something that can show what the system is capable of. I mean, yeah we know the system can use the Unreal Engine 3 and push stuff in Infinity Blade that's similar to big current console games (not even talking old outdated systems)... but that's not an open environment and stuff. Heck really GTA:VC on iOS is a leap above many other games with big worlds to explore. I don't think it's a technical limit as much as it's about good programming... but I think that's the only real hole in GTA:VC on iOS. Still, it plays fine on my 4S so I'm not complaining. Same for getting the XBox/PC version of The Bard's Tale ported to iOS... or the HD update of Jet Set Radio which I'm assuming is probably through some middleware which really bloats up the code.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Seeing as how iOS devices are now far beyond Xbox/PS2 in terms of capability, I'd love to see Halo 1 & 2 if Microsoft would allow it. Just slap Gameloft style controls on that thing and we have two of the best shooters ever made for iOS.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Seeing as how iOS devices are now far beyond Xbox/PS2 in terms of capability, I'd love to see Halo 1 & 2 if Microsoft would allow it. Just slap Gameloft style controls on that thing and we have two of the best shooters ever made for iOS.
how about just Gameloft's stuff? We got NOVA3 and MC4
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashy View Post
how about just Gameloft's stuff? We got NOVA3 and MC4
I take it you've never played Halo.

If you had, you would realize that Gameloft's singelplayer offerings are a steaming pile of 💩 compared with Halo's, in every possible way.

Last edited by JBRUU; 01-29-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I take it no one has had any success modding now that iOS 6 prohibits such atrocities?

I've never really looked into what mods are out there, I'm sure there're some interesting ones. Graphically I'm completely satisfied with the game; it looks fantastic, but I wonder about modding some car handling, swapping models, etc. A stunt park for the motorcycles would be awesome!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
I take it you've never played Halo.

If you had, you would realize that Gameloft's singelplayer offerings are a steaming pile of 💩 compared with Halo's.
I saw my cousin playing its multiplayer. Seems just as much fun as NOVA's. No idea how the single player mode is though. It must be good, according to your experience.