★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Samurai Puzzle Battle

12-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Samurai Puzzle Battle

Just saw this in the new app releases: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298284653&mt=8

Looks like a puzzlequest-wannabe? Doesn't looks like it has the depth PQ promises though..ARN PLEASE TAKE THE PLUNGE AND REVIEW IT
12-02-2008, 08:04 AM
just downloaded it. Let you know in a bit.

Quest mode is looking interesting.

Graphics are pretty standard.

Last edited by AchillesReborn; 12-02-2008 at 08:35 AM.

12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Gotta know ---is it worth downloading or do I wait for Puzzle Quest..... I am a huge PQ fan ---cant wait ----is this good enough to tide me over until it gets released?
12-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Holy crap! Steampunk!

Here is the appstore description:
Quote:
Alternative version of medieval Japan torn by war… Steam engines, flying machines, magic and demons meet in one place… After mysterious death of the emperor, Japan is getting weaker. Shoguns are trying to get as much wealth as possible – be the one, who dominates four biggest islands. Earn money, possession, and resources, and then conquer four biggest islands in this brand new iPhone strategy-puzzler!

What can you expect?
- Excellent merge of Puzzle and Strategy Game,
- Steam-punk based storyline,
- Great, feature packed Puzzle game,
- Very high replayability and other stuff,
- Outstanding graphics and visual effects,
First of all I have to say that the graphics (compared to Aurora Feint and Puzzle Quest) just look ugly.
But I'm a sucker for steampunk so I think I'll have to buy this.
Any opinions yet?
12-02-2008, 11:10 AM
There's 1 review on the UK store..but it's rather lame: 'Fun' 4 stars out of 5.

Also, in it's description it mentions:

'Why is this game a must have?
-This is an enhanced version of award winning mobile game'

I think they're referring to puzzle quest. MORE ENHANCED THAN PUZZLE QUEST? AND LOADS OF STEAMPUNK CRAP AS WELL?
12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITrocks View Post
There's 1 review on the UK store..but it's rather lame: 'Fun' 4 stars out of 5.

Also, in it's description it mentions:

'Why is this game a must have?
-This is an enhanced version of award winning mobile game'

I think they're referring to puzzle quest. MORE ENHANCED THAN PUZZLE QUEST? AND LOADS OF STEAMPUNK CRAP AS WELL?
Actually I think they are refering to an enhanced version of their mobile phone version. I saw it on youtube this morning but it looked like puzzle quest with poorer graphics and no sound!
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Game actually has pretty decent graphics and... Sound. I like the music choice and the rest of the sound goes along with the "Puzzle Quest" type of thing.

Only got to play a few minutes so far but I'm really liking it. Should be just the thing to hold me until the real PQ comes along.

Who knows, this might be better... I like the way the quest mode is set up and how you can bring in other troops to help your fighting. I'll try to let you know more once I've played it some more...
12-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Having played it some more....I`m addicted. I`ve never played puzzle quest, but it beats the hell out of the original Aurora feint. The puzzle battles are far more tacticle than that game. Graphics are good enough, they certainly aren`t dazzling, but they are better than a lot of puzzle games. The actual battle system is great in my opinion, a lot more tactical than i expected (i thought it`d just be a `bejewelled style` match-up as fast as you can, but its not at all). The campaign mode is great. What more can I say? I`m hooked, I`ve been playing it a lot, and I`m not really into matching puzzle games (aurora feint/bejewelled etc. do nothing for me). I like the fact that the battles are more to do with tactical thinking than speed.
12-03-2008, 05:20 AM
They released a lite version.
I'm going to test the game first, then we'll see. Looks promising though.
12-03-2008, 10:59 AM
After some more time I'm enjoying this game more and more. I was/am a huge fan of Puzzle Quest but this game goes a little deeper. It has a bit of a mix between PQ and Risk. You're sending out armies to try and take over Japan.

The cool part about that is that if you lose a battle you've got more units to carry on the battle. You can keep fighting an enemy as long as you have units -- when you're out you've lost the battle. And even if you win you still lose all units you lost in that battle and you have to buy more to send into battle. In PQ if you lose the game just starts you over in that spot as if nothing bad happened.

There is still some stuff I've got to go through, but I think this game is really fun and very addicting. Get the Lite version if you want to try it on limited basis, but if you like this type of game you'll be back for the full version.