★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is there a place to see the highest rated games?

06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Is there a place to see the highest rated games?

iTunes doesn't allow us to view "top rated" games. They organize their stuff by sales instead of how well reviewed different apps/games are. It would be interesting to see what games have the highest average rating after 100 reviews. I use metacritic to buy console games because it averages a lot of reviews and seems to give a good average scale of a game. Is there anything like this for iPhone games?
06-25-2009, 03:21 PM
That would be an awesome feature.

I think a minimum of 50 reviews is a good cutoff.

As for undermining small dev's games, on the contrary, I think it would emphasize them.

For example, Quantum Collapse has about 30 reviews and a 4.5 star rating right now.

Once the game reaches 50 reviews, it would be in the top 100 of this list I'm sure. I'm sure lots of high quality games by small devs (Mecho Wars to name another one) would end up near the top of the list due to a passionate fanbase that loves the game.

And those rare few big name dev's games that really are so good that they have close to 5 star reviews (F.A.S.T. Real Racing) etc have had a lot of work put into them and deserve to get more attention actually.

More importantly under the current system expensive games get ignored completely. They don't show up on any of the lists.

With this feature expensive games like Real Racing and F.A.S.T. that are worth every penny would show up here atleast.

Last edited by wikoogle; 06-25-2009 at 04:50 PM.

06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikoogle View Post
That would be an awesome feature.
Problem with this feature is that the games with only 1 review with 5 stars (even if done by developer.) would be at the top of the list.

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |
06-25-2009, 04:21 PM
It can show the apps with the MOST 5 stars?
06-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReview View Post
Or just have a qualifier of a minimum of X reviews, but the problem with this is that it would further obscure the under-the-radar games and make the bigger games more visible. Which is the whole purpose of this idea to make the gems be noticed.
06-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReview View Post
Which is why I said you would need 100 reviews to be able to be on the list.
06-25-2009, 04:48 PM
I think a minimum of 50 reviews is a good cutoff.

As for undermining small dev's games, on the contrary, I think it would emphasize them.

For example, Quantum Collapse has about 30 reviews and a 4.5 star rating right now.

Once the game reaches 50 reviews, it would be in the top 100 of this list I'm sure. I'm sure lots of high quality games by small devs (Mecho Wars to name another one) would end up near the top of the list due to a passionate fanbase that loves the game.

And those rare few big name dev's games that really are so good that they have close to 5 star reviews (F.A.S.T. Real Racing) etc have had a lot of work put into them and deserve to get more attention actually.

More importantly under the current system expensive games get ignored completely. They don't show up on any of the lists.

With this feature expensive games like Real Racing and F.A.S.T. that are worth every penny would show up here atleast.

Last edited by wikoogle; 06-25-2009 at 04:50 PM.
06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
The man with the answers.
06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
They don't have it but sure its a great feature. It could be a little tricky on the algorithm part though.

Highest Rated = Most Vote or Good votes? If good votes, should games with less amount of reviews but good rating, rank higher than games with more reviews with bad ratings?

Nexx Studio - Indie Game Publisher - Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Dulp - Zig Zag Boom - Sidechain - Warship Solitaire - Bloom Box - Pig Shot - Glow Puzzle - The Idiot Test 3 - and more awesome games!