What game is the closest to Warcraft II or III for iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fire dawn, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Fire dawn

Fire dawn New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    I have been searching for a good game that follows the lines of Warcraft II or III on the iPad. Why Blizzard has not jumped at the chance to make money on releasing an old game on the iPad I have no idea but here we are. Just can't find a game that plays like Warcraft. Any games out now or in development that can scratch my itch?:confused:

2. Fire dawn

Fire dawn New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    For the love of all that is holy I am NOT looking for any games that play like World of Warcraft so please don't bother with those ;)

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Some iOS real time strategy games:

Time of Heroes
    Brainsss
    Command & Conquer iOS
    The Walking Dead: Assault
    Ant Raid
    Land Air Sea Warfare

4. Fire dawn

Fire dawn New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Yeah just as I feared. There is a very obvious lack of good strategy games. I have tried nearly every title you listed and if I didn't try them it was because they looked like a game I would not enjoy playing. I guess it's back to waiting for Blizzard to get off their butts and realize the gold mine they are sitting on with porting older games.

5. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I never knew Walking Dead Assault was a RTS. Is it any good? How does it compare to Totar War: Shogun?

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You might be more satisfied with the turn based strategy offerings. Some good starting places are Knighturn, Highborn, LostStar Tactics, or Great Big War Game.

7. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I find TBSs to be boring and slow. Not my cuppa tea...

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #8 undeadcow, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Walking Dead Assault is a lot of fun so far, worth checking out. I'm not sure how it compares with Total War. The levels involve smaller parties exploring to evade/attack zombies that remind me of the Tanya levels in Red Alert or hero stages in Starcraft/Warcraft.

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Here's some of my favorite RTS titles on the iOS...

Eufloria (probably my GOTY for 2012)
    Autumn Dynasty (in my top 10 for 2012)
    Anthill
    Blue Libra 2
    Z
    Red Conquest
    Total War Battles: Shogun
    Samurai Blood Show
    Alexandria Blood Show
    Amoebattle

And I have to throw this in, because it's one of the best strategy titles on the iOS, even though it is turn-based, it's amazingly deep and has loads of content - not to mention some of the best strategy gameplay I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing (on any platform) - RAVENMARK

10. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Eufloria is a strategy game? I guess I was under a rock; I had the impression it was an experimental sort of game, like Flower for the PS3...guess I pre-judged an app based on the icon. How does it play for the panicky rts players like myself; in other words, more TBS-style fans?

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #11 syntheticvoid, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Here's a playing with commentary from YT... should be able to explain it better than me...

But, there are 3 modes - Story Mode, Skirmish Mode and Dark Matter Mode (which is Story Mode, but at an increased difficulty with darker visuals) - there's also an option to unlock everything - all modes, and all levels - in the options menu, as well as a 'casual' setting which lowers the difficulty dramatically. But there's quite a bit of depth once you get into the real meat of it all - upgrading trees, sacrificing your units to upgrade stats, ect...

There's also 3 game speed settings; 1X, 2X, 4X

Along with the beautiful atmosphere and great BGM - I really can not say one bad thing about the game.

**I should also say, it's one of very few games that I've purchased for my iDevice AND my PC (available on Steam)

12. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Rise of lost empires by Gameloft is by far the closest clone of Warcraft you can find, but it's not a great game and a little low on content. I still enjoyed it when I got it for 0.99$!

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Everyone's forgetting starfront I think. (closest thing to Starcraft)
    I know it's not Warcraft, but since everything listed so far isn't even close, then may as well throw that one in too

14. Easy answer: Nothing!

15. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Holy guacamole!

Since Eufloria is your GotY candidate, I have to get back to playing it. I recently got it via the Humble Android Bundle, loaded it up for a few minutes then never went back. I think it was mainly because the game was laggy already right at the beginning. They have some updates so I will give it another spin. Also heard some good things about it, and being a huge RTS fan, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Speaking of which, there is a huge new RTS game in the works, and they are calling for closed beta testers! Galactic Conflict HD thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=169444

PS: Synthetic, you confirm that everything is readily unlocked in the game? I thought this was a concession they had to make since Humble Android Bundle doesn't allow for IAPs...

16. NoisyNinja

NoisyNinja Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Try Autumn Dynasty and you wont be dissapointed :)

17. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok, so I went back to eufloria and well, laggy as hell still on android. I do see some promise though. Will see if there's more updates for it in the near future.

Autumn dynasty looks cool and seems less experimental style like eufloria. May just try it.

18. Fire dawn

Fire dawn New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Any updates? Any game out or looking to come out thatvlook promising regarding a Warcraft 2-like port?

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The warcraft-like RTS formula doesnt work too well on touch screens, so dont expect a new title of this genre every month.

20. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    #20 weehoo, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    Rise of Lost Empires

*There is only one Warcraft II clone. Plays exactly like it.

*RISE OF LOST EMPIRES (Free) by Gameloft. It used to be a premium title ($6.99) when it came out in 2009. Gameloft promised to add online multiplayer and skirmish modes, but made it a freemium title instead. Also, no retina display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn5lnRAgt_4