★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Challenge yourself with the most diabolical version of solitaire ever devised, a card game played by Winston Churchill during the Second World War.

Begin your journey as a Cadet alongside a young Churchill in 1893 at the famed military college of Sandhurst. Take on challenging missions and follow Churchill's career as you earn promotions and new military ranks. With enough grit, you might just become Prime Minister.

Featuring unique gameplay with two decks of cards and an added challenge of liberating cards contained in a row called the Devils Six, this addictive game will keep you coming back again and again. No game of solitaire will keep your mind as sharp or improve your concentration like Churchill Solitaire.

Challenge friends, family, and opponents worldwide to beat your score and time. With classic graphics and audio that pay homage to Sir Winston, his words, and his era, Churchill Solitaire will inspire, enlighten, and entertain.

Features:

-Three free trial deals of easy, medium and hard levels of difficulty.
-Cinematic video and audio of Winston Churchill.
-Social media integration allowing you to share and challenge your scores.
-Challenging gameplay.
-Badges and ranks from Sandhurst Cadet through Prime Minister.
-Access to 200 numbered Campaign deals.
-Access to nearly infinite random deals.
-Challenge your friends and family.
-iCloud support - sync automatically with your iPhone and iPad.
-Game Center integration with achievements and leaderboards.

Try the game for free. If you get hooked, as were confident you will, you can unlock more deals with in-app purchases (IAP) and totally randomized deals to frustrate and reward the most cunning solitaire player.

Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ChurchillSolitaire
Follow us on Twitter at @PlayChurchill
01-21-2016, 05:22 PM
A random find on the App Store main page today...I think this will be great once I understand the rules.

The option to play in portrait is nice but if only there was a way to make it less squished at the top.

01-21-2016, 08:19 PM
In wide screen, you can't see the bottommost cards. And now I can't even move cards. They just hang there and shake a bit.
01-22-2016, 05:57 AM
Good find Vectorarchitekt. The additional rules make this more interesting than the usual solitaire; more thought and planning required. It's well presented too with the historical setting. Pity it doesn't seem to be working for everyone.
01-22-2016, 10:38 AM
I went to their FB page and they said there's an update coming to fix that
01-23-2016, 11:19 AM
It would be nice for portrait mode to also work at the title screen. Also, "historical" card options would be cool. Like, if I bought a deck of cards in 1941 what card backs & styles were there?

Love it though! Sold me at Churchill!!!!
01-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Also, no for the "you look stumped message. It's driving me crazy. Have a setting to get rid of it.

Thanks
01-23-2016, 12:58 PM
Does the game let you know that you have failed? As in, no way to win this draw?
01-24-2016, 10:04 AM
An Update from Churchill Solitaire

Hello all -

I'm the creative director for Churchill Solitaire. This thread is incredibly helpful and I hope you keep the critiques coming, we're using them to consistently tweak on the app.

I wanted to post a quick update on progress since launch, some improvements we hope to have down the line and some future expansions.

Next Build Release
We submitted a new build to the App Store the day after we launched the game (Thursday). That build is still awaiting review but it contains what we hope are the following fixes:
  • Fix intermittent card sticking and shaking.
  • Fix intermittent unmovable aces
  • More logical order to game sequences
  • Fix some errors with hint count

We have the following items from Touch Arcade on the list of improvements we are working on in the coming weeks:
  • Allow portrait mode at all times (even in menus)
  • Create a zoomable interface in phone portrait mode
  • Turn on/off "You Look Stumped" modal
  • Work on implementing logic that lets users know when they are out of moves.
  • Historical card backs and play surfaces.

I can't tell you all enough how helpful threads like these are. We are a small shop (no, really, just 1 develop and 1 designer) but we want to put out an awesome product.

Take care and keep 'em coming.

Marc O
01-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Thank you for actually doing all those updates!
This game is great now but all those tweaks will be awesome. I for one prefer portrait games on iPhone, landscape on iPad.
I requested on Facebook that the portrait game board have something on the "desk" towards the bottom like a map or photo or something to spice up the plain wood surface.
I mention this because the menus and the desk render at the start look fantastic.

Nice work for such a small team!