Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcanopele View Post
Ahh, had to deal with the ultimate dilemma today... Keep Khalid and Jahira or Minsc and his mage companion. Curse you Neera for wanting to keep you around... Ended up keeping Khalid and Jahira until I finished Naskhal Mines, then left them in Naskhal once I finished with that area, then went back and picked up Minsc and ... the mage. Obviously, couldn't care less about the mage, I just wanted Minsc back.

I don't think my group is any less fleshy than it was before I got Minsc back. Minsc is a better fighter than Khalid and he provides more entertainment value. I have Branwen, so I have a decent cleric for my healing needs. The new mage, well, she adds firepower and she can use a sling. Until level 3, Neera is feeling pretty useless until I can have her use a shortbow or a sling in addition to her spells.
You can keep Minsc without Dynaheir if you just kill her and then use "reform party" to kick her out. Or you can berserk Minsc and when he crits Dynaheir she'll explode into gibs (if you're on original difficulty).
Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Wow, and I thought I was a horrible person for leaving Minsc and Dynaheir in the Gnoll Stronghold...

I think I am having a bit of buyer's remorse. Minsc is a better fighter and pack mule than Khalid, but Khalid also had more hit points and didn't have half his health taken away every time a Xvert looked at him the wrong way...

And Neera, seriously, whose bright idea was it to give a mage with only 4 hit points starting out, only weapon proficiency, and that one being in a melee weapon?!? And my excuse for keeping her around, "well, I bought her" still sounds a bit creepy...
Old 12-19-2012, 02:39 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Wow, and I thought I was a horrible person for leaving Minsc and Dynaheir in the Gnoll Stronghold...

I think I am having a bit of buyer's remorse. Minsc is a better fighter and pack mule than Khalid, but Khalid also had more hit points and didn't have half his health taken away every time a Xvert looked at him the wrong way...

And Neera, seriously, whose bright idea was it to give a mage with only 4 hit points starting out, only weapon proficiency, and that one being in a melee weapon?!? And my excuse for keeping her around, "well, I bought her" still sounds a bit creepy...
Pretty much all mages are useless until you get a couple levels in em. I decided giving Neera a sling she doesn't know how to use and watching her whiff was about the same as watching her whiff with with a staff she does know how to use (while she gets murdered in melee).

Had a fun wild surge while trying to fight the spiders in Bergerost, though. Neera managed to fear almost everybody on both sides, and my two characters who weren't running around like maniacs managed to win what is a pretty hard fight for a level 1 party.

If you get tired of Misc and you don't mind a guy who puts the word 'Helm' into every goddamn sentence he utters, you can grab Ajantis. I've managed to get his AC to -6 (plus bonuses for most attack types) by level 4.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:50 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousringo View Post
Supposedly iOS 5/iPad 1 support is still in the cards, but with the rocky launch, Beamdog decided it was easier to push it out the door with narrower device/OS support.

But really, there are so many great reasons to get a newer iPad, I wouldn't want to wait if I were you.
I wish my Santa would have enough money for a new iPad too, but unfortunately he doesn't... Waiting for the support for iPad 1. It wouldn't be a problem to play on PC, but the idea of playing BG on iPad feels so good.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousringo View Post
Pretty much all mages are useless until you get a couple levels in em.
Yea, but why make them even more so and more frustrating for new players to use? Seriously, she is a new character and nothing prevented the Devs from giving her a little more useful and less suicidal weapon proficiency like sling or darts. Maybe even let her use a bow.
What? Minsc had a berserk ability, Xan had a sword and a couple of other characters had 20-ies in their stats, all of which wasn't strictly according to the rules.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

As a new player, how do I decide who to keep in my party and who to replace them with?

I guess its just whatever I feel like doing. But I can't make a decision because I think that further down the line I may have screwed myself!!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
As a new player, how do I decide who to keep in my party and who to replace them with?

I guess its just whatever I feel like doing. But I can't make a decision because I think that further down the line I may have screwed myself!!
From memory of the Pc version, it all boils down to:
1. party composition
2. alignment

How do you wish to play the game? In the early game, your party is very weak and Mages are very, very squishy. You have the freedom in how difficult you can make life for yourself and the trade-off. You definitely must have bow ability - otherwise you'll make life very difficult.

The other aspect is alignment. If your party composition have diametrically opposite alignments, expect a lot of internecine fighting - ultimately, deaths or disbandment!

Another aspect is personalities. This is where as a new player, you'll be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, you can always kick people out of your party if you want to replace them (or arrange to have them killed). Watch out for internecine fighting!

Once the UI issues are resolved on the iPad, I'll be sorely tempted to make a Neutral Evil character. If I really wanted a Demon Souls type experience, an Evil Mage! Doubt I'd make it as far as Beregost!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Ok thanks. I guess I need to pay more attention to character classes and alignment.

I started out as a half elf ranger with skills in short sword.

So far he doesn;t seem to do much damage, I don't know if I should have started with a Fighter or Barbarian given I am a beginner.

Agree about UI, finding it quite frustrating playing this. Please fix!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:

"And Neera, seriously, whose bright idea was it to give a mage with only 4 hit points starting out, only weapon proficiency, and that one being in a melee weapon?!? And my excuse for keeping her around, "well, I bought her" still sounds a bit creepy..."
I LOLed!

Valid points in your whole post i left out, but I always raise the old DM inside me and excuse it with "Well, I am roleplaying a character!"
Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I restarted his game, and I am stuck.

I am in a basement in the beginning of the game where I end up with 6 people, and need to use all the skills to get things.
There is a door at the bottom, that you cannot lockpick and need to use magic I guess.. what spell do I need there ?
Tried everything but nothing seems to work.