★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Cannon Head - Looks Interesting

06-25-2009, 07:45 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Cannon Head - Looks Interesting

[App Store Link, 0.99]

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
PROMOTIONAL SALE: 50% off until June 30th.

Watch preview video at:
www.nitobigames.com/cannonhead

ROTATE, AIM, FIRE!

CANNON HEAD is a fun, frantic arcade shooter that's fitted for the iPhone interface. Your mission is to shoot and destroy all incomming enemies before they destroy your cannon. To help defend yourself, there are 13 unique power-ups that you can purchase. You can combine up to four of these power-ups to cumstomize your cannon. From rapid, multi barreled cannons to one big cannon that does massive damage. Finding the best combination that suits your style of play will guarantee your survival. Cannon Head also has the feature to replay a level to collect more cash or to beat your previous high score.

Features:
- Intuitive controls
- 12 replayable stages
- 13 power-ups to customize your cannon

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
06-25-2009, 07:46 PM
From the icon i thought it looked a lot like last cannon, but it looks pretty cool. Anyone TOFTT?

06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Dang it, upsidedown, that is almost exactly what I was about to post (at least the second part)!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Haha, Great minds think alike.
06-25-2009, 08:40 PM
This looks like it's based on a Flash game I played a year or two ago -- same idea; shoot oncoming enemies before they reach you in the center of the screen. I can't for the life of me remember the name. This one looks like it goes al out with four independently upgradeable cannons, which is pretty cool. I might have to check this out.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
06-25-2009, 09:37 PM
It does look uncannily like a flash game, but I've got a backlog of stuff to play, so I won't be touching this anytime soon.
06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
This looks like a nice change of pace.

Bought!
06-25-2009, 09:56 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWalrus View Post
This looks like a nice change of pace.

Bought!
Please come with impressions!

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
I plunked down a buck and grabbed this game. So far I'm not super impressed. The interface is nice and polished, but the graphics are merely okay - nothing to write home about.

The gameplay is very repetitive. You'll find yourself replaying early stages over and over to earn enough cash to upgrade your cannon. The difficulty ramps up pretty quickly, and there's no way you can play through the game by beating each stage only once.

You have the option to purchase various upgrades from the store, and some items are much more useful than others. The problem is that most are quite costly. You'll have to play the first stage twice to earn enough cash to buy anything. To make matters worse, you're only allowed to use four of your purchased items at a time. Early on that's not a problem, but in the later stages it leaves you dying for extra firepower.

The controls are also lacking. Instead of being able to tap your enemies to shoot them, you have to spin your cannon around by sliding your finger around the cannon. This means that your hand is often covering much of the screen. It seems odd that the most intuitive control scheme was ignored...

I will say this, I played this game for over an hour straight and I enjoyed most of it. The game appears to be very stable and runs smoothly. It does eat through the batteries though. I played it on almost a full charge (iPod Touch Gen 2) and most of the battery was gone after a little over an hour.

For $.99 I give this game 3 stars. It's nothing special, but it is a fun diversion.

(I did end up finding the ultimate combination of upgrades, but it costs 44,000 credits. That equates to playing the first stage almost 100 times. The problem with the upgrades is that although the levels progress in difficulty, the enemies don't earn you substantially more credits. You're better off playing an intermediate level where a baddy will net you 50 credits than pushing forward into the much harder levels [where they will still net you 50 credits]. Now that I've beaten the game, I can't see myself coming back for more. There just isn't enough depth in the gameplay to make it interesting in the long term.)

Last edited by fletchnuts; 06-26-2009 at 01:32 AM.
06-26-2009, 12:40 AM
id like to give it 4 stars, for its not the most interesting one compared with other similar games, but after all, its still can kill time for some minutes...