★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone Devs: Don't Use Vimeo

12-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator [Original Poster]
iPhone Devs: Don't Use Vimeo

I know a few devs have used Vimeo for their gameplay videos in the past. I tried using them last night since youtube was down. But apparently they don't allow gameplay videos on their site, so they pulled the Brothers in Arms video.

That's their call, I guess... but it just means that as a site, we'll avoid linking them in the future since the vids could get pulled at anytime. So, iPhone devs shouldn't use them for that purpose.

arn
12-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Send a message via MSN to aghartastudio
really ? they didn't remove my 1112 trailer yet... maybe I should be worried!

Alexandre leboucher - Agharta studio
Designer of 1112
Check out my twitter for latest updates!

12-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Well, I guess it's better anyway if you're browsing on an iPhone and can watch it right there and then, instead of having to switch to a computer. Eh?

EDIT: And all of NGMOCO's videos are still up on Vimeo, which is odd. Hmmm... maybe it's because you didn't create it. Could be something like that jazz.

Last edited by Chase; 12-02-2008 at 12:51 PM.
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Administrator [Original Poster]
here's the policy http://vimeo.com/blog:140

and email
Quote:
Dear TouchArcade:

Your video 'Brothers in Arms for iPhone (2403598)' has been removed from Vimeo because it violates our Terms of Service.

Vimeo does not allow game walk-throughs, game strategy videos, depictions of player vs player battles, raids, or any other video gaming video that simply depicts individuals playing a video game.

If you believe this was an error, please send a civil response to this email and we will work with you, assuming you are correct.

Regards,
Vimeo
"trailers" might get a pass... but it sounds vague.

arn
12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
here's the policy http://vimeo.com/blog:140

and email

"trailers" might get a pass... but it sounds vague.

arn
Ah. Well thanks on the updates.
12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
In my correspondence with them, they said game trailers are alright as long as you hold the IP rights to the material you upload.

So for developers, yes, posting videos of your own game should be fine.

Still doesn't change the fact that they seem to be fickle and somewhat negatively aligned toward games content in general. Doesn't matter much anyhow, with YouTube now moving to widescreen.
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I didn't upload my HD trailer there yet because I read somewhere "no advertising".

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Send a message via MSN to aghartastudio
Is it possible to have good quality trailer on Youtube? each time I upload a file on it it looks like crap...
So far Vimeo has the best quality ...
but still it don't have all the usefull insight utilities of Youtube

Alexandre leboucher - Agharta studio
Designer of 1112
Check out my twitter for latest updates!
12-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghartastudio View Post
Is it possible to have good quality trailer on Youtube? each time I upload a file on it it looks like crap...
So far Vimeo has the best quality ...
but still it don't have all the usefull insight utilities of Youtube
Not HD by any means, but when you post your link to the clip, always add "&fmt=18" without the quotation marks a the end of the url. That makes the viewers see the high quality stream instead of the default one.

Actually, YouTube is starting to offer some of the videos in 720p as well. I could be wrong but the setting for that is "&fmt=22". But as said, this won't work on most videos.
12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Send a message via AIM to STP_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to STP_Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
I know a few devs have used Vimeo for their gameplay videos in the past. I tried using them last night since youtube was down. But apparently they don't allow gameplay videos on their site, so they pulled the Brothers in Arms video.

That's their call, I guess... but it just means that as a site, we'll avoid linking them in the future since the vids could get pulled at anytime. So, iPhone devs shouldn't use them for that purpose.

arn
We found this out the hard way too, Arn. We switched to Motionbox for our HD video needs. Works great so far, and considerably cheaper to boot.

Steve Palley, www.slidetoplay.com