Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 PM
iPhone 5

This is actually a pretty nice game. The controls are solid for the most part, though I do wish that the fire button was a bit more responsive. Other than that, my only real issues with the game relate to its technical side. The game isn't widescreen and the graphics aren't retina, which makes
The game feel slightly outdated. In addition, the first time I played there was no music, but it was there any time after
That. Finally, double tapping the control options in the menu causes
The game to crash. Every time.

The design is really slick. The enemies and puzzles are deceptively challenging, and every weapon, even the weak ones, are useful. I am a little worried when you say that this will only be a prologue however. There was a similar game to
This that was released a while back called Grokion, which consisted of just one episode. The episode never came and the game was stuck on a cliffhanger. I really hope the same doesn't happen to Vergence.

To the poster above. You have to find a save spot to recharge your continues. They're rather rare. I don't
Think I even found the first one until about an hour in.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisko6 View Post
To the poster above. You have to find a save spot to recharge your continues. They're rather rare. I don't
Think I even found the first one until about an hour in.
Ok that's a bit better. Thanks for the tip. What does a save spot look like?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:37 PM
iPhone 5

You'll see a flashing white door whenever a save room is around. The room contains a statue. When you stand next to it, you can save. The next time that you run out of continues, you'll end up in this room. Glad I could help.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 AM

Sweet. Thanks krisko6!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:05 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
This is actually a pretty nice game. The controls are solid for the most part, though I do wish that the fire button was a bit more responsive. Other than that, my only real issues with the game relate to its technical side. The game isn't widescreen and the graphics aren't retina, which makes
The game feel slightly outdated. In addition, the first time I played there was no music, but it was there any time after
That. Finally, double tapping the control options in the menu causes
Thanks

In what way are you finding the fire button unresponsive, is it that it's not registering the command or that the attack itself feels sluggish?

Widescreen and retina aren't supported mainly because when we started working on it there was no widescreen or retina. We do plan to make good use of retina in all future content though and hope to update the current UI resources too.

In relation to the menu crashing, can I ask what device and OS you're running? Does resetting the controls in the advanced menu or creating a new control set fix this? Also does it happen when you access the settings menu from both the main menu and from in-game? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Sounds mad but if the game was in monochrome like some old Gameboy Castlevania game i would love it even more
Absolutly no promises, but I wil bear this in mind
Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprobableFlight View Post
Thanks

In what way are you finding the fire button unresponsive, is it that it's not registering the command or that the attack itself feels sluggish?

Widescreen and retina aren't supported mainly because when we started working on it there was no widescreen or retina. We do plan to make good use of retina in all future content though and hope to update the current UI resources too.

In relation to the menu crashing, can I ask what device and OS you're running? Does resetting the controls in the advanced menu or creating a new control set fix this? Also does it happen when you access the settings menu from both the main menu and from in-game? Thanks.

Absolutly no promises, but I wil bear this in mind
Welcome to TA! Congratulations on releasing the game: as far as I'm concerned this is the first Metroidvania game in the App Store that delivers the whole package -- gameplay, visuals, and content.

I ran into the same menu crash described above. I'll try to recreate as you suggest and report later tonight. Overall, the settings UI is a bit confusing and unpolished, especially compared with the rest of the game. The controls themselves are pretty ugly -- I wish they were better integrated into the overall style (which is very nice).

Last edited by squarezero; 12-10-2012 at 07:19 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Looks great but the big GUI controls and the lack of universal make this a pass for me even tough I long for this type of game. I just don't see this being a comfortable play on an iPad (the only iDevice Types I own)with the huge input v-stick and buttons!

Last edited by Bool Zero; 12-10-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Finally, double tapping the control options in the menu causes
I think the bug has now been fixed. We've submitted an update which should hopefully make it through approval before the christmas shutdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Welcome to TA! Congratulations on releasing the game: as far as I'm concerned this is the first Metroidvania game in the App Store that delivers the whole package -- gameplay, visuals, and content.

I ran into the same menu crash described above. I'll try to recreate as you suggest and report later tonight. Overall, the settings UI is a bit confusing and unpolished, especially compared with the rest of the game. The controls themselves are pretty ugly -- I wish they were better integrated into the overall style (which is very nice).
Thanks for the welcome We've been working on this for quite a while now and it's nice to hear people are enjoying it.

I guess with things like the settings menu, we work with them for so long and they're so familiar it's hard to predict how others see them for the first time. Would it have helped if the titles on the left were more obviously buttons or were there other issues too?

Are there any controls in particular that you didn't like? Is it just a general feeling that they don't fit or is there anything in particular that stands out?

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
Looks great but the big GUI controls and the lack of universal make this a pass for me even tough I long for this type of game. I just don't see this being a comfortable play on an iPad (the only iDevice Types I own)with the huge input v-stick and buttons!
My opinion may be *slightly* biased but I've never had any problems playing on the iPad. The controls can be completely repositioned and there are three sizes for the buttons.

Now that it's released I've been looking into the feasibility of adding universal and widescreen support in a reasonable amount of time. We are hopeful that it should be available early next year.

In the mean time I've uploaded a gallery of photos demonstrating some of the various controls setups. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vergence/489076214446937
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Yes, please make it universal.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 AM

I think the character should move faster. Feels too slow to get anywhere.