★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

experiences with piracy?

06-26-2009, 02:30 AM
experiences with piracy?

hi fellow iphone devs,

out of no particular reason (but maybe inspired by the upcoming submission of our new game) i felt like browsing through some code legitimacy-checking source today. i found two code examples, one checking for inconclusive modification dates and one for the validity of the encryption of the app.

we found Radio Flare on bittorent sites the day it was released but never bothered. but services like OpenFeint that charge developers per user make it an issue.

that made me wonder: did anyone of you have any experience with illegitimate copies? did anyone include code like the above into his app? what are your experiences?

formerly studio radiolaris, now Broken Rules. Follow me on twitter: twitter/@martinpi

ON THE IPAD: Radio Flare REDUX HD & Globetrotters
ON Mac App Store, Steam & WiiWare: And Yet It Moves
06-26-2009, 06:22 AM
@matinpi

I had some other example (http://thwart-ipa-cracks.blogspot.co...detection.html)

Ohhh you raise an important issue that I never though of it before. Indeed what happen if for example you implement OpenFeint in your game or other similar package that charge you per users. If you got 90% of the user online using illegitimate copy this could become a serious issue. Maybe OpenFeint already their own way to find out if it s running on a crack version? You could contact them and ask (I know Jason Citron often come around here), but you should also on your side think about a way to disable online feature if you notice it is a crack version.

06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Look, I can somewhat understand some unscrupulous people pirating $60 games from big name studios that they don't think are worth the cash/in a genre they don't care for.

But why the hell would anyone pirate $1-$5 games from small independent dev teams barely trying to make ends meet.
06-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikoogle View Post
Look, I can somewhat understand some unscrupulous people pirating $60 games from big name studios that they don't think are worth the cash/in a genre they don't care for.

But why the hell would anyone pirate $1-$5 games from small independent dev teams barely trying to make ends meet.
LoL, are you kidding? Because people don't care.

For example, search using Google for the game my two man developer just released 'iSR iPhone'
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...8&q=iSR+iPhone

More than half of the links on the front page alone are for pirate sites with links to the game. So rather than paying .99 cents for something the two of us worked on for four months they can have it for free..

Apple needs to introduce UDID verification at the base level since they won't let anyone do it in their apps. Until then there's not much that can be done from people helping themselves to whatever they want.

Adding to the problem are popular App sites giving people the keys to the castle by offering open forums where people can discuss 'jailbreaking' their phones.

The market is very much in its infancy, the problems we see today are the growing pains. Surely someday things will get better.
06-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWalrus View Post

For example, search using Google for the game my two man developer just released 'iSR iPhone'

More than half of the links on the front page alone are for pirate sites with links to the game. So rather than paying .99 cents for something the two of us worked on for four months they can have it for free..

Apple needs to introduce UDID verification at the base level since they won't let anyone do it in their apps. Until then there's not much that can be done from people helping themselves to whatever they want.

Adding to the problem are popular App sites giving people the keys to the castle by offering open forums where people can discuss 'jailbreaking' their phones.

The market is very much in its infancy, the problems we see today are the growing pains. Surely someday things will get better.
Although most forums have jailbreaking sections of their forums, most of them don't allow talking or discussing piracy and will warn users that do or ban them if they provide links or how tos

Beta tested: Parallelus, Galactic Gunner, Crazy Snowboard, IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPodder View Post
What? They make games for the iPhone/iPod Touch?
lmao
06-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Quote:

lol...piracy and jailbreaking are two completely different things. I haven't jailbroken my iPhone, but I don't see anything wrong with people that want to do so. Piracy on the other hand is essentially stealing someone's work.
06-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmx View Post
lol...piracy and jailbreaking are two completely different things. I haven't jailbroken my iPhone, but I don't see anything wrong with people that want to do so. Piracy on the other hand is essentially stealing someone's work.
Yep but jailbreaking facilitate piracy. A pirate is definitely jailbroken but not all jailbroken users are pirate.

Nexx Studio - Indie Game Publisher - Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Dulp - Zig Zag Boom - Sidechain - Warship Solitaire - Bloom Box - Pig Shot - Glow Puzzle - The Idiot Test 3 - and more awesome games!
06-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Obviously the two are not synonymous.

Though the ratio of those who do, to those who have, would suggest it's a slippery slope.
06-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Surely someday things will get better.
Whatever stops the tears...

Ehh, I find it annoying that people pirate games. I don't even really want to jailbrake my iPhone...
06-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Not all pirates have jailbroken iDevices actually.

I know of sites that allow you to download .ipa's straight onto your desktop, then drag and drop into iTunes. No jailbreaking required. There's tons of ways to get apps for free, and it's pretty easy, which is why it's appealing to so many.

/sarcasm