★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: World Championship Pool 2009

12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
World Championship Pool 2009

Well, I'm kind of trying most of the Pool games (yes, I should get a life, pick one and go on...).

Rebel Pool was one of the top view that sounds perfect but its aiming (tho better in the update) and size ball size are not good.

Virtual Pool is very solid. It's one of the Pool games that is still on my iPhone. It needs a better interface, a more alike iPhone one rather than the PC port. It may even need graphic improvements here and there like a better "pocket" ball animation. But it's a real good simulation.

This week World Championship Pool 2009 was released showing unique graphics and different control.

As an "almost" rule in iTunes Store the screenshot is not even close to the in game graphics.

WCP has excellent graphics and the best pool balls I've ever seen in an iPhone 3D Pool game. The balls are not probably really 3D but the final result is really, really nice.

The control. You move your finger to set the direction. It's not hard (unless in top view). To add spin and so on you tap a ball in the toolbar and just pick the kind of spin you'd like to accomplish. You can't fine tune it. It may be a lay down for some hard core Pool games but it kind of accelerates the process. To shot you also use your finger (like Virtual Pool) but a power bar shows the strength which is very handy, making the shot system itself one of the best.

Camera. That's an interesting thing. The first time I saw it in action I get confused but after playing a bit I've found that it delivers an extra "emotion" touch to the game. When you're about to pocket a ball the camera follows it until the ball is pocketed. It's nice.

Aiming guides. See the destination guide line makes the game easier. Maybe too much easy. That's a feature they should add: select the aim style: none, ball and ball+destination. That's one of the biggest game flaw I've found after playing some rounds.

Quick game is always nice to have but it'd be better if statistics were there too. This simple winnings/losses gives to any "Quick" mode of any game on Earth more replayability. C'mon developers!

Along with Quick there are Career and Arcade modes.

Just in time: sounds are as great as the graphics. Perfect!

Priced $4.99 it may be a perfect game with statistics and aiming options. But hey, that's just the first version.

If you're more than happy with VP and don't have money to spend I'd say stick with it and wait for an update. If you like to experience different graphics and even gameplay then you should check it. Again, the balls are amazing (even if it's a 2D trick).

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 12-02-2008 at 07:14 PM.
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
midnight pool is the best i'd say

12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericxd View Post
midnight pool is the best i'd say
Have you played WCP?

Midnight Pool is nice but can't be compared with VP IMO.

MP is fun for awhile but not if you'd like to play serious Pool.
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm more than satisfied with Virtual Pool, especially at the bargain-basement price of $.99

Can't compete with that. Sure, could use some pocket animations but other than that, it's fantastic
12-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Midnight pool blows compared to VP. I'll check this one out and see if we have a new contender.
12-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Midnight pool blows compared to VP. I'll check this one out and see if we have a new contender.
It's just a matter of taste. So, no discussion.
12-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
It's just a matter of taste. So, no discussion.
Carlos, I think Nickels supports your preference...

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
12-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for your review Carlos. I am on the fence with this. I agree regarding VP- although it plays great (my favourite so far), it's UI leaves a lot to be desired. However, I looked at this games screenshots and was put off straight away. They are so compressed they look awful. Then you say the balls aren't 3D objects- do the numbers rotate as the balls move? If so, how smoothly?
I could at least do with seeing some PROPER screenshots of this game before I shell out 3. With the ones in the app store, it makes you wonder if the developers actually want to sell their game.
12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Thanks for your review Carlos. I am on the fence with this. I agree regarding VP- although it plays great (my favourite so far), it's UI leaves a lot to be desired. However, I looked at this games screenshots and was put off straight away. They are so compressed they look awful. Then you say the balls aren't 3D objects- do the numbers rotate as the balls move? If so, how smoothly?
I could at least do with seeing some PROPER screenshots of this game before I shell out 3. With the ones in the app store, it makes you wonder if the developers actually want to sell their game.
I said 2D because the balls look too great to be true 3D and because you have that "antialiasing feeling" when you look at them. The numbers rotate. Here's a screenshot I took just to show you the ball:

12-02-2008, 02:38 PM
It looks great in that screenshot.

Once VP gets multiplayer it will be untouchable. I imagine they'll work on the details after that point, like the balls going into the pockets and the UI.