Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

TWEWY, The Walking Dead and Bastion.

These three easily fit into anyone's GotY list too. For those who have played it at least.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Definitely The World Ends With You. The iOS port had a simplified battle system that worried me at first, but it works just as well as the original.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Vice city, Organ trail and Carmageddon.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
Vice city, Organ trail and Carmageddon.
Organ Trail's control scheme is a nightmare. I want to like the game but it makes me so frustrated! Why couldn't the controls have been more intuitive?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Definitely has been a big year for ports, here's what I got and didn't get based on my thoughts:

What I got:

Lost Winds 1 & 2 - Got these on sales even though my kids have the first one on the Wii. I actually enjoy them better on the iOS.

Carmageddon and Crazy Taxi - Merely for nostalgic purposes. And despite what newer gamers may think, they're very faithful ports as far as floaty physics and all. Still fun to this day.

Mutant Mudds - A game I can't really compare since I don't have a 3DS, but controls seem to work great and I was pleasantly surprised as the PC version was not received very well.

What I didn't get:

GTA 3 & GTA Vice City, Final Fantasy games - I've both GTAs and a number of FF games on consoles. The GTA games I just feel are not going to be any better on the iOS. The Final Fantasy games that have been ported I just didn't feel a longing desire to play them on the iOS. If FF VII was ever ported, that may be different story.

Bastion and Walking Dead - Have played both on the 360. I know everyone's raved about the Walking Dead, but I've realized over the years that for some reason I just don't get into Telltale games. So I also passed. I really like Bastion and wouldn't mind having it on the go, but my device won't support it.

The World Ends With You - no device support for me....

Jet Set Radio - Loved it on my original Xbox but sounded like the controls were a mess on the iOS version so I passed.

If you include old arcade games Raiden Legacy is a great port.

All-in-all, there was a pretty good track record for ports this year.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I would have to say Lost Winds and Bastion for me as well. Both ooze quality and feel like they could stand with the best of ios exclusives.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Hands down The Walking Dead. Not only my personal GOTY but one of the best games I've ever played period. Every episode left me in awe and shock.

Supergiant Games did a wonderful job as well porting Bastion to iOS devices. Surprised they managed to make it work so well on an iPhone.

GTA Vice City has some kinks in it, but overall it delivers a great experience.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

If the aim in porting a game is to make it just as accessible, if not more, so on another platform then I think Walking Dead and Mutant Mudds were pretty perfect shots. I have high hopes for FF IV next week too
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppealPlay View Post
Organ Trail's control scheme is a nightmare. I want to like the game but it makes me so frustrated! Why couldn't the controls have been more intuitive?
They are intuitive. I guess you're complaining over the tap to move and the swipe to shoot mechanics. I have no problems with that. I hit almost everything even without the aim-help-dots.
The controls are quite "realistic" too. When the zombie is far away you can take your time and slowly draw a precise line between you and the zombie. When they're near or if there are many, you have to draw only a part of the line or draw it really fast - which reduces the accuracy of course. If there were dual stick controls then you would miss EVERY BULLET. Remember that Organ trail (scavenging mode) is not just a mindless zombie shooter, because every bullet you miss counts.

You can also pull down (in the other direction of the zombie) to shoot, but that's way less accurate and you can't shoot that way if you're near the end of the screen. (perhaps you were doing this, that's why you're complaining).

Last edited by Primoz; 12-10-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Raiden, Blazing star, and Metal slug.