Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Well done
Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 PM
iPod Touch (1st Gen), OS 3.x

Thanks for all the downloads, just hoping for some feedback now.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:26 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Overall it's a cute game. It makes sense that the controls take up so much space on the screen since that's mostly what you're looking at when playing the game. For those that haven't played it, a string of commands (a combo) show up and you have to input them into the controls in the correct order. Mess up and you start the combo over. So gameplay is similar in many ways to simon says. Except if you mess up it's not game over, it's just the enemy can cause more damage while you fumble in the correct combination.

My main issue with the game is ultimately that it's like a lot of music games with a flashy interface where you spend most of the game paying so close attention to the arrows and buttons that you miss the action that it creates. There are breaks where you can look up for a second, but then it's back to work. I'm hoping this changes the deeper you get into the game because there's really not much point into showing the fighters or action if you can't have enough time to glance up and appreciate the action created through a successful combo.

I'm not sure if I'll push through and finish the game. It does have gamecenter achievements which is a huge plus since I don't think I'd continue if it was just to beat the game. I glanced into Pro Shop (Store) side of things and maybe that'll help make the game more fun. Prices don't seem too bad at all to earn everything without dipping into the IAP... well compared to other games.

I think so far it's pretty decent. If I put more time in with it I'll come back and post some later impressions. Maybe it'll grow on me... maybe I'll drop it and move on. If it somehow was a music game, I might like it more since my ears could get a treat that my eyes unfortunately miss most of the time playing this game.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
Thanks for all the downloads, just hoping for some feedback now.
Very fun game!!!
You think to make it universal or iPad version?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Overall it's a cute game. It makes sense that the controls take up so much space on the screen since that's mostly what you're looking at when playing the game. For those that haven't played it, a string of commands (a combo) show up and you have to input them into the controls in the correct order. Mess up and you start the combo over. So gameplay is similar in many ways to simon says. Except if you mess up it's not game over, it's just the enemy can cause more damage while you fumble in the correct combination.

My main issue with the game is ultimately that it's like a lot of music games with a flashy interface where you spend most of the game paying so close attention to the arrows and buttons that you miss the action that it creates. There are breaks where you can look up for a second, but then it's back to work. I'm hoping this changes the deeper you get into the game because there's really not much point into showing the fighters or action if you can't have enough time to glance up and appreciate the action created through a successful combo.

I'm not sure if I'll push through and finish the game. It does have gamecenter achievements which is a huge plus since I don't think I'd continue if it was just to beat the game. I glanced into Pro Shop (Store) side of things and maybe that'll help make the game more fun. Prices don't seem too bad at all to earn everything without dipping into the IAP... well compared to other games.

I think so far it's pretty decent. If I put more time in with it I'll come back and post some later impressions. Maybe it'll grow on me... maybe I'll drop it and move on. If it somehow was a music game, I might like it more since my ears could get a treat that my eyes unfortunately miss most of the time playing this game.

Thank you, so much. This is actually a very well laid out post and we agree with all of it. Your comparison to "music games" (tap tap revenge) is spot on and one we ended up using a lot through development. It wasn't the initial goal and it still isn't, but in turn Pocket Fu still felt very similar to that play style.

We added the Pro Shop and equipable Charms in an attempt to make the player really want to keep some attention on what is happening in the battle. For example, if you equip lots of charms that increase your Dodge %, you will then want to see if you are dodging all of the incoming attacks.

All that said, it would be nice to find an elegant solution that doesn't keep the player's focus locked onto the combo bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadiduekappa View Post
Very fun game!!!
You think to make it universal or iPad version?

Going universal doesn't require too much work, so if the demand is high it's something we can definitely kick out.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Still free!