★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iPhone iTD [Tower Defense] Strategies

12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
iPhone iTD [Tower Defense] Strategies

Tower Defense Games are fairly new to me and I have been enjoying the challenge and developing strategies. I have been working on getting through the BackBend Level in the iPhones iTD Tower Defense Game [BTW, this is a Great TD Game and is currently my favorite - Kudos to the developers!] ... Just like to know what some of you other TD Gamers have come up with. So far I have made it to Level 27 [3 levels away from completing it!!!] and obtained a top score of 333. Any other ideas on Strategies would be appreciated. I think I've almost run out of ideas!!!

I'm including a screen shot just before I croaked on my last game. Please give me some more ideas so I can continue to unlock the endless maps [the ones I really enjoy playing]. The Snakes level is also giving me fits if anyone has any good strategies for it ...

Thanks in advance and hope you all are enjoying iTD as much as I am!!!

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iTD_02.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	201  
12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Haven't played it for a while, but I see that my highscore on Back Bend is 408. However, since the 3rd level on Endless is still locked, I haven't been able to finish the level either!

If possible I'd recommend to try some of the yellow towers ($400) and upgrade them to the max with the $400 upgrade path. It will then shoot out a lightning ray which will be transported to 3 (4?) other enemies. I like it, generally.

The red tower is very powerful but also quite expensive and often I'm too impatient to save up for it.

Stefan

12-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Send a message via AIM to fpugirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNas View Post
Tower Defense Games are fairly new to me and I have been enjoying the challenge and developing strategies. I have been working on getting through the BackBend Level in the iPhones iTD Tower Defense Game [BTW, this is a Great TD Game and is currently my favorite - Kudos to the developers!] ... Just like to know what some of you other TD Gamers have come up with. So far I have made it to Level 27 [3 levels away from completing it!!!] and obtained a top score of 333. Any other ideas on Strategies would be appreciated. I think I've almost run out of ideas!!!

I'm including a screen shot just before I croaked on my last game. Please give me some more ideas so I can continue to unlock the endless maps [the ones I really enjoy playing]. The Snakes level is also giving me fits if anyone has any good strategies for it ...

Thanks in advance and hope you all are enjoying iTD as much as I am!!!

Ian
If I remember correctly, on this one, I used the lightning strike in the middle along with the bombs upgraded to 4. This one was very tricky and took me a LONG time to beat. I'll try to do it again and post a pic so you can see it. I'd be curious how others have beaten it too. Also, how is everyone fairing on the knots level? I SUCK at it. Can't get past like level 20. Has anyone come up with any good strategies?

I'm on twitter: http://twitter.com/fpugirl iTD, 7 Cities, The Creeps, geoDefense (i love TD games!!), Supermarket mania, Stone Loops...current fave games
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I play a lot of TD Flash games, and I really like this iTD.

I also found Back Bend to be really difficult at first, and it took me several days to finally beat it.

I also started off like you, focusing fire in the center of the map, but I finally decided that was a mistake. It is misleading to think it is focused fire in the middle, as you have two opposing lines of creeps coming in at the same time.

So I started focusing on split tower sets, one on each side of the map (by each entrance).

On each side I built 5 towers, one of each color and an extra blue for slow. So on the left side of teh screen, below the entry/exit point, starting on the
4th box from the left, I built one of each tower. Then on the top I built my extra blue for slow over the 2nd tower below.

On the left side tower group, I focused on Area Effect towers, so 4 bombs in red, 6 spikes from green, and for yellow, I did not upgrade to the multi color (this was before the new yellow towers).

On the right tower group, I went for the cheaper single shot power shots.

I dont remember my upgrade order, but it was somewhat like left group all once, right group all to max, left group up to max.

This got me to level 30 several times, but I would fail on level 30 because of the powerful blues. So once I had my 10 towers upgraded, I started building heavy stun blue towers in the middle. That finally did it.

Good luck.
12-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpugirl View Post
If I remember correctly, on this one, I used the lightning strike in the middle along with the bombs upgraded to 4. This one was very tricky and took me a LONG time to beat. I'll try to do it again and post a pic so you can see it. I'd be curious how others have beaten it too. Also, how is everyone fairing on the knots level? I SUCK at it. Can't get past like level 20. Has anyone come up with any good strategies?

The Knot is what I am currently having a lot of fun with. My high score is 345 right now, I am not sure what level it was though. Maybe around 20? I have been rather inconsistent in my strategy, other than an upgraded slow tower in the center.

I have been toying with the single slow and a lot of rainbow towers on this one, but have not had the timing down yet. I might need to do other towers, and then sell them off to buy rainbows later.
12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Glad to see people challenged... If you guys want I could post a few shots of wave 100 or so on the knot w/out a life lost.... haha... just to let you know it is possible. The Knot actually gets easier past wave 30 because it is so concentrated, if you have enough red quad shooters(which are better than the 4x dmg). The beginning is the hardest part but if you get the right upgrade order you can survive. Green towers are great at the beginning but lose power later on, we even made them a little stronger in the update so that can help, I end up selling them by the end though.

There are different strategies so make sure you try different things out even if you've beaten it one way, another might be better.

You might find it interesting that the game only requires 90% efficiency from the player, higher tier towers go over 100% efficiency essentially so upgrading is key for success.

Good luck!
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
My strategy is to get a bunch of bomb towers and upgrade them. After I have about 8 bomb towers, I get those towers that slow everything down.

Simple and pretty effective haha

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I feel the knot is the easiest one in 3 endless lvls. I got 2292 without selling.
Zig-Zag is the hardest for me, only 1747.
12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaswills View Post
Glad to see people challenged... If you guys want I could post a few shots of wave 100 or so on the knot w/out a life lost.... haha... just to let you know it is possible. The Knot actually gets easier past wave 30 because it is so concentrated, if you have enough red quad shooters(which are better than the 4x dmg). The beginning is the hardest part but if you get the right upgrade order you can survive. Green towers are great at the beginning but lose power later on, we even made them a little stronger in the update so that can help, I end up selling them by the end though.

There are different strategies so make sure you try different things out even if you've beaten it one way, another might be better.

You might find it interesting that the game only requires 90% efficiency from the player, higher tier towers go over 100% efficiency essentially so upgrading is key for success.

Good luck!

Hey Jonas - Are we getting new maps any time in the near future? More unlimited maps would be really nice.
12-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennfusion View Post
I play a lot of TD Flash games, and I really like this iTD.

I also found Back Bend to be really difficult at first, and it took me several days to finally beat it.

I also started off like you, focusing fire in the center of the map, but I finally decided that was a mistake. It is misleading to think it is focused fire in the middle, as you have two opposing lines of creeps coming in at the same time.

So I started focusing on split tower sets, one on each side of the map (by each entrance).

On each side I built 5 towers, one of each color and an extra blue for slow. So on the left side of teh screen, below the entry/exit point, starting on the
4th box from the left, I built one of each tower. Then on the top I built my extra blue for slow over the 2nd tower below.

On the left side tower group, I focused on Area Effect towers, so 4 bombs in red, 6 spikes from green, and for yellow, I did not upgrade to the multi color (this was before the new yellow towers).

On the right tower group, I went for the cheaper single shot power shots.

I dont remember my upgrade order, but it was somewhat like left group all once, right group all to max, left group up to max.

This got me to level 30 several times, but I would fail on level 30 because of the powerful blues. So once I had my 10 towers upgraded, I started building heavy stun blue towers in the middle. That finally did it.

Good luck.
Hey kennfusion!

Thanks for the suggestions in strategy for BackBend! Although I was away from my computer, and your reply here on TouchArcade, I remembered enough of what you suggested to try a modified version of your "left split tower sets" [I also had some basic green shooters, 4 on each side that I sold towards the end]. I guess I just kept being stubborn, thinking it all had to be accomplished in the center in order to work. But you were right, it was exactly what was needed to get through and WIN! [although just barely with 4 lives left and a mere 397 points]. I'll be trying your suggestions to the letter, just to see how a more experienced TD guru does it!

Thanks again ... I'll include 3 screen shots so you can see just how I [barely] managed it this first time.

If you're up to it, let me know how you got through the SNAKES maze. I stopped trying that one early on because it was overwhelmingly frustrating. Hopefully I'll be more bold and experimental in the future as that's the whole point in these TD games ... figuring it all out! IMPROVISE - ADAPT - AND OVERCOME ... Right!?

Thanks once again to you and everyone else who made suggestions!

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020c.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021c.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022c.JPG