★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

A community or lack thereof?

06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
A community or lack thereof?

Today I started a thread about today's release of the Sentinel 2 game. Prior to starting the thread I ran a search for any mention of the release from the TA homepage. (I have since clarified that the search feature on the site does not seem to include forum postings.) When nothing showed up I posted the thread only to be immediately jumped on by two people who indicated that similar threads already existed. Their comments and tone were derisive. Instead of offering some friendly suggestions on how to prevent duplicate posts they left comments that damage the sense of community that sites like TA are striving to create. I am a new user to the TA forums and only wanted to share some good news about an eagerly awaiting game. Incidents like this discourage participation in an otherwise great site. In short, people need to ease up and help newbies find their place in virtual community.

Currently Playing: Toki Tori, Zenonia, Mecho Wars, CS One, Defender Chronicles, Real Racing (Yes I am addicted to games)
06-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbletsch View Post
Today I started a thread about today's release of the Sentinel 2 game. Prior to starting the thread I ran a search for any mention of the release from the TA homepage. (I have since clarified that the search feature on the site does not seem to include forum postings.) When nothing showed up I posted the thread only to be immediately jumped on by two people who indicated that similar threads already existed. Their comments and tone were derisive. Instead of offering some friendly suggestions on how to prevent duplicate posts they left comments that damage the sense of community that sites like TA are striving to create. I am a new user to the TA forums and only wanted to share some good news about an eagerly awaiting game. Incidents like this discourage participation in an otherwise great site. In short, people need to ease up and help newbies find their place in virtual community.
I agree with you and it's a problem we've had. Your best bet is to "report" the posts when someone is being unnecessarily rude. We have banned people in the past for this, and will continue to do so until the problem goes away.

arn

06-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks

Thanks for letting me know how to respond when this happens. I love the site and refer it to multiple times every day. Most of the time the forums are helpful and friendly and I want to make sure they remain so. TA is closest thing I know to a iPhone/iPod Touch gaming community and poor attitudes on the part of forum posters could ruin that good vibe. Thanks again for your help.

Currently Playing: Toki Tori, Zenonia, Mecho Wars, CS One, Defender Chronicles, Real Racing (Yes I am addicted to games)
06-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Thank you both jbletsch and arn. This is something that has always irked me. I never understood why people felt the need to be so rude. For some people, its as if its some sort of contest to see who can insult the OP in the most amusing way...

The thing is, its often the same people everytime. It seems certain members just lurk the forums for such reptitive threads, just waiting to flame the innocent new member. In fact, I bet I could guess exactly who jbletsch is talking about...*runs off to check*...confirmed

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
06-26-2009, 04:42 PM
I think if new members were restricted from posting a new topic or thread, half of these problems would go away. Once they've been around the forums for a little bit and have replied to and participated in a few topics, etc. I think we'd see far less instances of posts in the wrong forums or even duplicate threads. This in turn would lead to less people "attacking" members for silly mistakes. An added bonus to this method would be less "spam" messages.
06-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmx View Post
I think if new members were restricted from posting a new topic or thread, half of these problems would go away. Once they've been around the forums for a little bit and have replied to and participated in a few topics, etc. I think we'd see far less instances of posts in the wrong forums or even duplicate threads. This in turn would lead to less people "attacking" members for silly mistakes. An added bonus to this method would be less "spam" messages.
sounds good in theory.

Lately I've noticed that threads put in the wrong sections have been mostly started by senior members. It seems people just don't understand the difference between game RELEASE, and game DISCUSSION.

Oh yea, welcome to TA, JBLETSCH! I hope the rest of your stay here is more positive. There really are some awesome people on here. You sometimes have to weed through the rest though.

Playin the quest, or any of the numerous, awesome expansions? Are you stuck? If you need any help, feel free to PM me or email at "my user name" @gmail.com
I'm happy to help -GLLive, Marshall_B I have starfront , add me!

Last edited by Myrobotwillneverdie; 06-26-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: I do what I want
06-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrobotwillneverdie View Post
sounds good in theory.

Lately I've noticed that threads put in the wrong sections have been mostly started by senior members. It seems people just don't understand the difference between game RELEASE, and game DISCUSSION.

Oh yea, welcome to TA, JBLETSCH! I hope the rest of your stay here is more positive. There really are some awesome people on here. You sometimes have to weed through the rest though.
True, but that's because when a game is released....people want to discuss it! The only way to solve that would be to make it like the new review section where you can't reply to the release threads. But that would be silly and TA would just get even more fragmented.
06-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Welcome to the forum jbletsch. Most members are actually pretty decent and willing to help if you have questions. I do agree though that the hosility irks me quite a bit, and I don't really understand the need for it. If you're doing it constantly, then I can understand the resentment, but if you're a new member just trying to find your way around here, then it's uncalled for.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time around here.
06-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Welcome to the forum jbletsch. Most members are actually pretty decent and willing to help if you have questions. I do agree though that the hosility irks me quite a bit, and I don't really understand the need for it. If you're doing it constantly, then I can understand the resentment, but if you're a new member just trying to find your way around here, then it's uncalled for.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time around here.
Think of it as pledges going through initiation to join a fraternity

Nah, I'm just kidding. People shouldn't be harassed, especially if they're new. There's a difference between being sarcastic, and deliberately demeaning someone though. Like Arn mentioned, the best thing to do is report the post if you feel that someone is acting out of line.
06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmx View Post
Think of it as pledges going through initiation to join a fraternity

Nah, I'm just kidding. People shouldn't be harassed, especially if they're new. There's a difference between being sarcastic, and deliberately demeaning someone though. Like Arn mentioned, the best thing to do is report the post if you feel that someone is acting out of line.
This is a stupid question but...
How do you report?