Best game of year

Thx very much square enix u done great job

For the future i want to see dragon quest series in ios
are you joking

please tell me your joking
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 PM
iPod Touch (1st Gen)

Default Game Impressions

So I really adore those the old FF tunes. And it's nice that this game is more challenging than the similarly simple Groove Coaster...

...but there isn't nearly enough meat to this game. None of the various elements:

distance traveled, monsters killed, mogs encountered, full combo, SSS's, gold crowns

None of that stuff matters at all.

With a game like Jukebeat or Tone Sphere I can just enjoy trying to master songs one at a time, but Theatrhythim is different. It really needed more structure.

Even Demons' Score does fighting better - beat the song to beat the enemy. Here the fights going on might as well be a screensaver. Ugh.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Don`t forget that the 3DS Game is still sold for like $30+ so I really don`t see how you could get cheated this time by Square Enix if you buy a few of those Music Packs or even those Extra Heroes.
If I bought a few more yes it wouldn't be too bad but everything I want would probably hit the price to $80+

I say cheated because I'd rather pay the 3DS game cost now and have the amount that it has for that price rather than paying a similar amount on the iOS and getting a lot less. Even now when I've picked out some stuff I like, there's not enough game in there with not enough songs.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
If I bought a few more yes it wouldn't be too bad but everything I want would probably hit the price to $80+

I say cheated because I'd rather pay the 3DS game cost now and have the amount that it has for that price rather than paying a similar amount on the iOS and getting a lot less. Even now when I've picked out some stuff I like, there's not enough game in there with not enough songs.
the reality is that you wont be buying a 3ds and this game, even though you would rather do so. that would be the real cheat, the cost of a 3ds plus the game vs. just the app and a few iap for the iphone/ipad you already have.

why buy a 3ds that i would never buy, when i already have an iphone/ipad whatever. square is doing it right to give us options and save us the money.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Tried the game and bought a couple of songs I always loved (missing Crisis Core songs though). First of all, playing with the game is very nostalgic. They might be not very deep, but I like how the 2 type of games are different from that of Symphonica's. It's also a nice addition to be able to compose stages, buy I couldn't really figure out how it works just yet (would be nice to tap in realtime).

There are a couple of things I don't really understand in the game. What is the feature zone just before the chocobos appear? What is the difference between chocobos? And what is the illusive score fragment that can be collected in the meadly mode (for one song got 3/4 parts already, but no 4/4 just yet)? What is the leader good for? Is s/he getting 2 skills randomly from the party's skills and only keeping his/her own HP?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

No thanks, not even downloading this, I was on pocketgamer earlier and they've done the math, if you want all the characters and songs then this thing will cost 104.00.

I'm a huge fan of Square Enix's iOS stuff, I've paid for all the Chaos Rings games, I've purchased Final Fantasy 3 and the World Ends With You but the strategy they've taken up with Theatrythm is obscene. The 3DS version on amazon UK is 19.18, and has about 80 songs, in iOS money that's 55.20 (0.69 per song x 80)

I'm sure some people are enjoying this and that's fine, but I really am not going to give Square a penny as I don't want to encourage them further.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos View Post
So I really adore those the old FF tunes. And it's nice that this game is more challenging than the similarly simple Groove Coaster...

...but there isn't nearly enough meat to this game. None of the various elements:

distance traveled, monsters killed, mogs encountered, full combo, SSS's, gold crowns

None of that stuff matters at all.

With a game like Jukebeat or Tone Sphere I can just enjoy trying to master songs one at a time, but Theatrhythim is different. It really needed more structure.

Even Demons' Score does fighting better - beat the song to beat the enemy. Here the fights going on might as well be a screensaver. Ugh.
Demon Score is a great game... The only thing holding that one back was the IAP, but since it's on sale, i got everything i have access to. Getting everything unlocked (IAP pacts) only costs $18, which pretty much makes the game a premium at that price.

This one, too much. The pricing is ridiculous, being more expensive (in total) than even some premium PC and Console titles.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 PM

People can argue 'they're giving us choice' all they want, but the fact of the matter is, they're still selling a game in pieces for over 100. You may as well just go and buy a preowned 3DS and copy of the game for that money; you may not *want* a 3DS, but you'd be getting more for what you've spent.

Edit: And of course, you could always sell or trade in the 3DS and game again afterwards, at least reclaiming some of that money if you wanted to.

I'm aware that not all of the iOS content is on the 3DS store yet, but you at least get around 50 songs for the 20 you spend on the 3DS version of the game. From the looks of things, that amount would only get you about half of that on the iOS version. And of course, you didn't need to buy the additional characters at the time of release on the 3DS either; but you got at least all bar 10 with the game.

Just give me a flat price point of 20 for the 3DS cartridge's worth, and I'd be happy, and I'd probably even shell out more. But at present, I don't feel comfortable with spending in bits and pieces, however much I like Final Fantasy's music. (Which is a shame, as I would love to play One-Winged Angel's Advent Children rendition, but I don't want to support an aggressive IAP scheme.) And with the lack of box, features (I know stereoscopic 3D can't be toted by the iPhone/Pad, but at least it was something the 3DS version had), cutscenes and even a physical copy (not to mention the licensing for Nintendo which is a large part of it), this seems needlessly over the top.

I'll still be buying FFIV when it comes out, even if it comes out at a 'premium' price of a 'regular' 10 - 20 Squaresoft game, but however much people want to defend Square, they're not doing the right thing here. They've cut up a 20 game into a 100 monstrosity. I'd be happy to spend the 3DS' worth on it (even if at least half of that went into licensing, box, manual etc.), but they couldn't even do that.

Edit: And according to a few articles, the 3DS version, including extra content, would add up to $81.50, totaling 128 songs, versus the iOS' $143 for 111? Maybe they've miscounted, or swapped them around? I assumed the iOS version had gotten more songs.

And lastly, "At least they've ported it to the iOS, be grateful," isn't a logical or legitimate argument. Just because they've ported it doesn't mean it will be a success at that price; I shouldn't have to praise the stars that a company did something I asked them to that might make them money. It's a sensible choice to bring it to the iOS, as it's an even larger market than the 3DS or Vita. It isn't smart to charge five times the cost of the original game for all of the content (or an extra $60 when compared to the $88 of the fully-stocked 3DS version, whichever).

And I know I'm switching around a lot in terms of currencies, but I use , and most of the articles I've found have been in $, so I'm going by Pocket Gamer and NeoSeeker.

Last edited by Daxmort; 12-14-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 PM

Well said, but there are always going to be apologists for any company. Their opinions are negligible.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 PM

Default Game Impressions

I get s or ss on every song on easy (I have 22 songs so far) but can barely keep up on the hard level, seems like there should be a "normal" mode between easy and hard. I checked out the Compose section but didn't try it yet because I couldn't figure it out. I wanted to download some user made versions of some of my songs but couldn't find any. I do enjoy playing through the songs and have made it through easy and medium quests so far. I don't understand a lot about this game, but I am enjoying it anyway and hopefully as I play more I will figure some things out. Most of this thread is about the cost of songs, etc. very few about game and gameplay. If anyone knows more about the composing side, where or how to get user made songs to play, or just gameplay tips and comments, I'd love to read more about it. Anyway, overall I think the game is quite fun. I have played through Symphonica and still enjoy playing the songs trying to get better scores.