★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSporkWithin View Post
Yes, but they take dozens of hours to unlock in the 3DS version, and the extent to which they affect gameplay is basically various abilities that serve as crutches. You actually get an enormous penalty to your score from using any abilities at all, though the game does it in such a way that if you never unequip everything you won't realize that you're being penalized. The stage rankings go all the way up to SSS, but the highest you can get with any items or abilities equipped is an S, and that's only with a perfect score. So once you're playing the game as a rhythm game and going for high scores instead of just item drops (none of which effect gameplay) the characters are purely cosmetic.
That may be true, but the point I'm making is if the unlockable characters exist in the 3DS version and SE is pricing the iOS version at essentially the same price as the 3DS version, why aren't they included in the song packs for the iOS version? Why charge $2 for each character? I'm a huge Square Enix and FF fan, but I don't see how anyone can defend SE's greedy practices in this case.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSporkWithin View Post
I think when people post that they wish that more premium games would be ported to iOS what they really mean is that they wish that developers would put in the effort to port them and then sell them at one-fifth the price on any other platform. This is a *fantastic* 3DS game, brought over with an *extra mode* at essentially the same price as the original game (without the argument that the game is so old it should be available for cheap, it still sells at full price on 3DS when it's not on a temporary sale), and people are *complaining* about it.

If the complaints were restricted to being charged for characters that would be one thing (though it's a silly thing to complain about. I've spent some 30 hours on the 3DS game and not unlocked a single extra character), but complaining about the song/game prices is just sad.
Now that I'm learning a bit more about this, I'm definitely on board. I agree that we shouldn't complain about prices when we are getting ports of quality titles like this. Since you have played this on the DS, do you know what needs to be bought on this version to have the songs that come with that version? Is it all of the bundle packs? Because if that's the case, it seems that it would be significantly more expensive than the DS version.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!

12-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Now that I'm learning a bit more about this, I'm definitely on board. I agree that we shouldn't complain about prices when we are getting ports of quality titles like this. Since you have played this on the DS, do you know what needs to be bought on this version to have the songs that come with that version? Is it all of the bundle packs? Because if that's the case, it seems that it would be significantly more expensive than the DS version.
From what I was told characters are no longer unlocks but require iap and songs alone are 99 cents and there's alot for both I think there's bundle iap though
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
There should be 14 bundle packs, one for each numbered Final Fantasy game, which I'm guessing will be $2.99 each in the US store. That comes to $42, $2 more than the 3DS version. You have the option of skipping over the titles you don't care for though (I'd have skipped 2, 3, 10, 11, 14, and maybe 8) which makes the price rather variable.

EDIT: If the song packs are more than 3 bucks, then things become more unreasonable. Also, this is just for the base music, if you absolutely must have Snow or Aerith in your party those will run you extra, but at the same time you're bypassing an enormous time-sink in the 3DS version; unlocking characters on 3DS is essentially random (need 10 of a certain color of crystal for each of the locked characters, random chance to receive them upon completing certain types of stages) and takes dozens of hours of play before you're likely to get a single one.

Last edited by TheSporkWithin; 12-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
12-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Can someone please try this on touch 4?
12-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
From what I was told characters are no longer unlocks but require iap and songs alone are 99 cents and there's alot for both I think there's bundle iap though
Ok, but that's not what I'm asking. Forget the characters...what songs are available without DLC on the DS version?

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I can't answer that off the top of my head but I'm sure I've seen wiki pages that list songs that come with game and songs that are Dlc
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Ok, but that's not what I'm asking. Forget the characters...what songs are available without DLC on the DS version?
I don't know if there's a list of the iOS version songs yet, but there are 13 song packs (for each of the main FF games) with 4 songs and priced at $3 each. $39 for 52 songs isn't too bad although I'm still disappointed by all of the character IAPs.

Edit: Just to clarify, the song bundles contain the songs from the original 3DS version. Some of the individual songs are 3DS DLCs and others are new to the iOS version.

Last edited by Haruhi; 12-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.
12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Man I was SO freakin excited and then the free totally caught me off guard... lame

They should make exclusive DLC ios characters like Steve Jobs to make even MORE money *sarcasm*

Last edited by L.Lawliet; 12-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Is there any sense of progression in this game? I mean, if I only want the songs from a few games I just buy them and play freely? Seems a bit disjointed and soulless...