★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
12-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
The game looks good enough for me, I bought it and will be posting a review in a day or two.

Not sure if it's in it already, but what I think the game would benefit from is a short invulnerability period or some kind of damage reduction right after taking damage for the first time. Seems awfully easy to slam into a line of bullets.
Have you never played a shmup before?

That 'feature' would make the bullet patterns pointless

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Bring Me Sandwiches, Phoenix HD, .Decluster Zero, Goblin Sword
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid (please say you're from TA)
12-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
K... To anyone even remotely curious, this game plays SURPRISINGLY smooth on the 4th gen touch

12-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Have you never played a shmup before?

That 'feature' would make the bullet patterns pointless
Tons, and I'm the guy who completes arcade shmups with a single token, but this would be the first I'm trying on a touchscreen with these controls.

Let me play before I give further comments, but I have a feeling having a finger blocking the view of your hit box would be a greater disadvantage to accuracy than the advantage of just putting your finger where you want your ship to be.
12-13-2012, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
Tons, and I'm the guy who completes arcade shmups with a single token, but this would be the first I'm trying on a touchscreen with these controls.

Let me play before I give further comments, but I have a feeling having a finger blocking the view of your hit box would be a greater disadvantage to accuracy than the advantage of just putting your finger where you want your ship to be.
You can hold your finger an inch or so away from the ship so you can still see it.

In addition you can hold your finger further away than you wish to fire since the bullets will go in the direction of your touch and not stop there.
12-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Ah, now that I got my hands on it, I understand what you mean by holding my finger away. There is quite a generous allowance and you don't have to have your finger directly on the ship to move it around. Much easier playing this way too.

Played and died twice to the boss in the 3rd stage, it's a situation where you have to memorise the boss attack patterns and it takes a while to get to him, so I'll rest my fingers for now.

I love the presentation, variety (so far) and weirdly for a shump, the voiced-over story, but I found myself thinking, "Whose hands are those? Get out of my view!" a good portion of the time.

Let me be clear that the shooting portion is fun (I hope the other weapons I have yet to unlock have unique firing gestures like the homing missiles), but I still feel I'll be more accurate dodging bullets with a motion pad.

-Typed with my slightly worn finger.
12-13-2012, 05:25 AM
I really like this game, graphics, sound, presentation, its all excellent.

The main issue for me really comes down to controls.

The controls are workable, but as previously stated, my hands and arms really get in the way a lot of the time. Especially when i have to quickly move across the screen (left to right), it really creates a significant issue. I do switch the control hand eventually, but when avoiding bullets, it takes just a moment to switch hands, and thats not always possible.

I feel like there has to be some kind of workaround, like a pad in the bottom left for control, and the whole screen to use your other hand to aim and shoot.

Another issue is if I let go of the ship right next to the weapon select button near the top. Instead of selecting the ship, i would change weapons.....eventually I was able to get the ship again, but this is not a good solution.

Anyway, I really like the game, but the lack of a directional pad or some other form of movement control that doesnt constantly have my hands flurrying in the way is really going to reduce my desire to keep playing.

I think a Dpad, combined with an option to change its sensitivity is really the way to go for this particular game. Turn it into some kind of duel stick shooter type arrangement seems more workable than what currently exists.

Just my opinion, but its really the major problem, everything else is beyond top notch.
12-13-2012, 07:41 AM
I really want to like this game but I hate having to touch all over the screen in order to play. Obscuring most of the action isn't my idea of a good gameplay experience.
12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Love the game but needs a joystick or better controls hard to kill the boss
12-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Still a good game though.

And if we ever get an alternate control scheme, it'll be a great game.
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Will not be buying until there is a v- stick option. Why not at least give us a choice?