★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Fewer $9.99 games? Let's hope

12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Fewer $9.99 games? Let's hope

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...t-worth-money/

Because of the nature of the iphone, we can obviously expect more and more high quality games every month (for who knows how long), but how reasonable is it for us to be spending $20, $30, $40 bucks a month for even just a handful of these ten dollar games, not to mention the cheaper stuff. I think $10 is just too much for even the highest quality game because they became pseudo obselete within weeks, not to mention the unpredictable price falls.

The guy who made Trism is now a wealthy and that game was/is a few bucks; the other developers should take note, only charge a couple bucks (how dare that Star Wars crap start at $10), and stop this random price changing crap. Apple needs to make changes i.e. better quality control, sales requirements for applications (or else they get removed), and some kind of price lockdown (just start cheaper and everyone wins).
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vende View Post

Because of the nature of the iphone, we can obviously expect more and more high quality games every month (for who knows how long), but how reasonable is it for us to be spending $20, $30, $40 bucks a month for even just a handful of these ten dollar games, not to mention the cheaper stuff. I think $10 is just too much for even the highest quality game because they became pseudo obselete within weeks, not to mention the unpredictable price falls.

The guy who made Trism is now a wealthy and that game was/is a few bucks; the other developers should take note, only charge a couple bucks (how dare that Star Wars crap start at $10), and stop this random price changing crap. Apple needs to make changes i.e. better quality control, sales requirements for applications (or else they get removed), and some kind of price lockdown (just start cheaper and everyone wins).
Well for now, at least it's a chunk of change cheaper than buying the same quality game (well, for some games) on a DS or PSP. Those start at about $20-$30. And I'm actually alright with buying a $10 game if it's well made. And I'd much rather buy a $10 game for my iPhone that I can redownload or sync back if it ever gets deleted. If you lose or accidentally wreck a game from another console though, you're screwed. That's another $20-$30 if you ever want that back.

Last edited by Chase; 12-02-2008 at 01:50 PM.

12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I've said this before, as many others have, I'd be happy to spend $10+ for good quality games, but crap ports or watered down trial versions they throw at us for ten bucks is uncool.
$10 should reflect the effort of developers, quality, and length of a game, and if a game was truly good, $10 is all right with me.

Just a gal who likes to write and has an unhealthy(probably) attachment to her iPod.

Top 6 favorite games right now: {Rogue Touch, Sway, Pocket God, Archibald's Adventure, Wolfenstein 3D, Platypus}
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Quote:

Developers aren't happy if they spend a bunch of time on something and then they have to sell it for so low so it gets popular.... it isn't worth their time unless they get lucky and their app gets into the top 100. That's why there is so much junk out there... even worse they make their apps free for a little bit then jack up the price once it does become popular. Bigger companies that are making higher quality games can't afford to do this. If you want to get more quality, your going to have to pay for it... and ya... don't spend that much money every month, you don't have to buy every game that comes out.
12-02-2008, 01:52 PM
We determine the price

Whatyou guys dont realize is that the consumer controlls the price. If you think a game is too expensive then dont buy it ---if no one buys it then the drop the price. So if the community sticks together we can keep thing "reasonable".

You also must take into account that these games make more profit than anything that has to be put onto a media format. They pay no money for transport or production( burning). So they can afford to sell more for less. Dont ever let them charge over " place reasonable price here" for any game due to these facts.

IMO once the price hits over $10 I think thats getting greedy =====the production costs are probably covered after $2 with reasonable sales.... please this is an uneducated guess on cost recovery dont flame me.

I am now humbley begging all forgiveness.
12-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Huh??

1. Who is pressuring anyone to buy anything???

2. From the history so far, every game seems to eventually drop in price. So, based on empirical observation, if one had the patience to wait a few months you would get every game at discount.

3. With the philosophy of categorically blasting $9.99 games without analysis of their content, you doom the hopeful inexorable progression of iphone games, as major developers will be unwilling to bring serious quality games to the platform if no one is willing to spend at least $9.99.

4. That said, I agree that some games out there are not worth their asking price, no matter how long the dev spent making it.

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."

Last edited by salsamd; 12-02-2008 at 02:33 PM.
12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
As others have said, I'm worried most about developers not jumping on the iPhone gaming wagon because they aren't able to sell their games for a high enough price. If they don't see a market where they could actually make money off of their games and only see people complaining about even a $5 game (which I've seen more than a dozen times ) then why would they even consider making a great game if they'd only be able to make a dollar at a time off it?

Remember: You get what you paid for!
12-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Quote:

Rubbish. The more that high-end game companies see the iPhone as a viable platform to develop for, the more high-end games we're going to see (a la DS). If a $29.99 game comes out and is worth it, then I'm going to be all over it. Remember, this is just the beginning. And the price falls? Walk into Walmart and look at the $9.99 bins for games that were $69.99 when they were released. It happens, no matter what system you play on and what games you purchase.

Quote:
Rubbish, again. Best Buy had a sale on last week for a game then bumped the price back up the this week, should Best Buy have price lockdowns too? And no matter what system you play on, you might just end up paying $59.99 for a crap game. Boo hoo. You should be thankful for the iTunes App Store for having a review system and sites like Touch Arcade with even more reviews so YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION.

/endrant
12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
^Rubbish to all that you said, dlogik. The nature of purchasing and storing iphone games is vastly different than buying a console game at a Best Buy and thus there needs to be far better consumer protection (i.e. cheaper prices or mandatory lite versions) than what we have so far. You can RETURN a $60 dollar PSP game if you don't like it; you can't do the same for 6 $10 dollar games. That, in conjunction with other storage capacity issues i.e. a memory limit and only 100+ applications allowed at any given moment, results in a lot of us getting ripped off on these applications. Apple needs to deal with this "buyer beware" mentality as it's inappropriate, unfair, and proves that, as a matter of policy, Apple is not yet ready to compete with mainstream consoles.

And I'm guessing you'll only get that $30 dollar game when SOMEONE ELSE takes a risk, buys it, and puts a review on youtube. That's the only way to get real feedback on these games, and in particular the more costly ones - waiting for other people to potentially wate x number of dollars on a game that they can never get back, even if it's a turd! I mean, what kind of commerce is that???
12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
If a game is quality and length long enough comparable to a psp/ds game then it should be able to be the same price. What PSP game is $60 anyway, and it is against policy to take back open games, therefor you can not return if you dont like it. Unless of course you lie or are a difficult customer that they just want to get rid of...... If you feel strongly about disliking something and feel you were tricked into buying an app, i believe you can take it up with apple and they will help you out.

If they make quality games, I see no reason they shouldn't be able to charge more. If not the games simply won't sell..

Also the commerce isn't any different..... Digital download computer games, games on Playstation network, psp store, wii store, xbox live... No returns for any of those.